• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT Owners Thread

Soldato
I assume this is the new name for the Red Dragon cards? As my 5700XT RD looks preety much identical.

Form what I can see this is the equivalent of the Powercolor 5700XT dual fan model and it comes with 90mm fans. The Red Dragon model of the 5700XT had 100mm fans.

Associate
Just swapped out my 2060 for this card and:
Boot time is really slow, REALLY slow to even show BIOS page.
Navigating BIOS screens is very painful, takes a second or two to draw the screen and then again to navigate between options.

Any ideas? This is an AMD system, 3600 in an X570 motherboard. 650W PSU.

Took a reboot or two for my screen to get a signal, and now after exiting bios not getting any signal to TV.

Soldato
kwz.png

Its installed. :)

Its a lot shorter than the vega 56. I think vega was 11in long (oh my) and i think this is 9in long, still (oh my).

Did a quick gpuz display test render, fans didnt kick in till over 50 or 55 ish.

6t9.png

Seems idle is 49c where as my vega idled at about 30-35. I wonder if its cos the mem doesnt clock down that much. Both cards using that no fan if needed thing on too. Very odd about the ram not clocking right down.

Soldato
Navigating BIOS screens is very painful, takes a second or two to draw the screen and then again to navigate between options.

Took a reboot or two for my screen to get a signal, and now after exiting bios not getting any signal to TV.

Turn off CSM support in your BIOS Boot section. Don't worry as this does not kill or turn off UEFI boot settings.

Soldato

I dunno mate, it booted ok for me. All i can think to say is that i did ddu before installing the new card, and seemed to be fine. Maybe with it needs a mb bios update or something, are you daisychaining the pcie cables from 1 to power both the 8 and 6 pin? Im running my system off a over 10 year old corsair hx 620w psu so power shouldnt be a issue for you.

I think i have fast boot off in bios, and that quick boot thing in power options off too in windows.

Associate
Hdmi. I do have another DP monitor I can try, but in the long run needs to work on hdmi.

Edit : tried the DP monitor and no clear difference. Got into Windows and used DDU in safe mode to remove NVIDIA files. Windows rebooted, and now black screen after a couple of minutes.

There are two update BIOS for my motherboard since the version I have but neither mention PCIE changes. X570 Aorus Pro WiFi MITX.

Last edited:
Associate
What's that all about? Difference between TV and monitor?

I've updated x570 BIOS and gone back to RTX2060 for now. Shame it wasn't so straightforward after the excitement of the OcUK voucher purchase. :) Will try again after work...

Soldato
Hmm so. Little dissapointed so far, thought id get away with smoother fps less dips but nope. Still some in mafia rm, x4 still weird tho its probs cpu, rdr2 seemed ok but when i did the bench test it had lag drawing things in new scenes like missing textures, after 3-4 seconds it loaded in but dont think i experienced that on the other card. Wanted to try gta sa with ris on since these can do dx9 ris where as vega couldnt, but it just blank screens if i turn ris on when i launch it then goes to desktop so cant use that grr. Thought that might have made a big diff to the sharpness of textures but oh well.

I know i know, need better cpu, shame games ran fine on em before on say a 670 gpu then got better gpu the vega and more micro stutter or something then on this card a bit more. Sign, well. Im just gona have to think of it as investment and when i do get around to getting a 3600 cpu or intel equiv things will be better. I dont get mafia rm tho, i have freesync, fps were 60-70 but tearing, had to put vsync on to stop it. I hate having to do that when freesync should prevent tearing at fs frequencies.

Wonder if theres any demos of modern games i can try that has a benchmark in maybe or to test on modern games in general, i guess i can dl that tomb raider game demo again and run that, i dunno if 3d mark is free anymore so cant do those. That valley one is too old anyone can run it smoothly maxed these days.

Caporegime
I got mine earlier, haven't opened the outer box yet. Not particularly bothered, might install it this weekend might not. :p

I feel like I'm not the typical OcUK GPU buyer :D

Soldato
What's that all about? Difference between TV and monitor?

I've updated x570 BIOS and gone back to RTX2060 for now. Shame it wasn't so straightforward after the excitement of the OcUK voucher purchase. :) Will try again after work...

More about ruling out the source of the issue, it it happens on the monitor then it's not a TV HDMI port issue for example. You could hten try a different HDMI cable.

Associate
Hmm so. Little dissapointed so far, thought id get away with smoother fps less dips but nope. Still some in mafia rm, x4 still weird tho its probs cpu, rdr2 seemed ok but when i did the bench test it had lag drawing things in new scenes like missing textures, after 3-4 seconds it loaded in but dont think i experienced that on the other card. Wanted to try gta sa with ris on since these can do dx9 ris where as vega couldnt, but it just blank screens if i turn ris on when i launch it then goes to desktop so cant use that grr. Thought that might have made a big diff to the sharpness of textures but oh well.

I know i know, need better cpu, shame games ran fine on em before on say a 670 gpu then got better gpu the vega and more micro stutter or something then on this card a bit more. Sign, well. Im just gona have to think of it as investment and when i do get around to getting a 3600 cpu or intel equiv things will be better. I dont get mafia rm tho, i have freesync, fps were 60-70 but tearing, had to put vsync on to stop it. I hate having to do that when freesync should prevent tearing at fs frequencies.

Wonder if theres any demos of modern games i can try that has a benchmark in maybe or to test on modern games in general, i guess i can dl that tomb raider game demo again and run that, i dunno if 3d mark is free anymore so cant do those. That valley one is too old anyone can run it smoothly maxed these days.
Why did you expect to have better gaming experience upgrading a graphics card but using that old 4 core 4 thread cpu with slow memory.?
The more FPS your graphics card is drawing the more that cpu is loaded and I bet it’s pegged at 100% all the time hence the stuttering. Your cpu needs headroom for windows background activity etc.

Soldato
Well I received my 6700XT Fighter today, unfortunately it's DOA, put it in my main system and it wouldn't power on at all, psu just clicked, reseated etc, nothing, swapped back to the 1080, it fired up fine. So I then tried it in my second system, did exactly the same thing, both systems have good power supplies, my main system is a Z490 based system with a 750w Antec HCG 750 that's only months old and my second system is a B450 based system with a 650w EVGA Supernova that's about 4 years old, both are excellent power supplies and both of them will run a GTX 1080Ti no problem, yet neither system will power on at all with the 6700XT plugged in. I just hope, really, really hope OCUK will be able to replace it and not just refund me. I am gutted tbh, been trying to buy a new card since last year. I have more spares I could try it with but I think what I have done so far is pretty conclusive tbh.

Incidentally the card seems quite nicely made, back plate is metal on it which I didn't expect tbh, it's a much smaller card than the 1080Ti though.

Man of Honour
disappointed, stutter etc

This can happen with some systems despite having mega specs. Try limiting your fps to something just under what you know it can do, the idea is to avoid anything getting to 100%. I've not had this issue so not had to try it myself, but I've seen many reports of this working wonders.

Soldato
Lol, not a good start for these GPUs, 1x with display output issues, 1x with stuttering (though with an old CPU) and another DOA and the last person can't be arsed to plug it in. :)

Soldato

What you are describing is typical CPU bottleneck, stuttering and frame rate drops as well as texture pop in. It looks like the GPU is saturating the poor CPU and it can't keep up. Slow the GPU down with an FPS cap starting with maybe 60FPS and drop it down in increments until the stuttering stops.

If you have a serioulsy unbalanced system then try limiting FPS to something below your monitor refresh. One way to check is look at GPU usage, if it rarely hits 100% in modern graphical intensive games then you are CPU bottlenecked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom