• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT Owners Thread

Associate
The latest BIOS for my Aorus z570 has given me the resize BAR option. Turning it on has had no ill effects yet. Bear in mind I'm back on my RTX 2060. I'll be back on AMD topic later ;)

kar

kar

Associate
Got mine today - not sure why there's no thermal pad between the pcb and backplate, seems like a missed opportunity there, but I guess they will sell no matter what so why bother trying eh?

Anyway - I got rid of my 1060 GTX not long ago and even in the brief run of Witcher 3 this is a huge step up. Subjectively, I ran W3 at 'ultra' settings 1080p, with this card I'd likely play same settings but at 2160p. May drop it to 1440p if I get any noticeable input lag but didn't feel any.

It's moderately loud when gaming (compared to my old windforce 1060) but not too bad.

Anyway so far it's fine. Nothing horrible, nothing exciting just a perfectly competent card.

2TuNLUQ.png

hbz8x3B.gif

Soldato
Well one game runs super well.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/Tomb_Raider/

ultimate, cpu usage about 20% and gpu usage about 50 i think. No stutter haha, but then i looked at the specs for it and probs no surprise haha, still it looks really nice for those spec it listed as rec. I capped the fps to 55 btw.

Btw why is it before gpuz showed me the bandwidth ok and the memory at 2000 (check gpuz shots i took before). But now, tho dunno why it shows this for them bits.

gzb.png

Its the latest, it did work once but not now.

Associate
I feel i have a twin with the way Acme is discussing stuff, im not much of a gamer truth be told, i just use pc to watch anime and tv and films most of the day and game a few times a week with little games like mini metro haha, i do want to try a re run of gta 5, which i ran great back in the day with this cpu and 670 card on medium 1080. Then i got a new monitor 1440p which was 75hz. Then a 780ti which i thought ran amazing on the 1080p 22in i had but then went to 1440p and meh in action or fast driving had some issues. Got rdr2, ran fine more or less on vega tho i stopped playing cos i got annoyed with the horse taking ages. :p

I do think id play more if i had somehow reduced some fps issues with the new card that was the plan i thought maybe the vega wasnt really the 1440p card i thought it was, tho i do admit i was bottlenecked by the cpu a little bit but things wernt too bad, just the odd game like x4 which not even ppl with the most powerful cpu can run smoothly on stations apparently.

If i can ill be upgrading cpu, mb, ram probs new psu as it really is getting on now, by xmas if not next birthday in march 2022. I think i can live with the issues till then, i havent tried all games, some might be nice.

I have division 2, that played really well when i tried on my vega56 near maxed out and no issues at 1440p, shame i didnt have staying power and actually play it much. :p

Honestly mate your CPU will have been bottlenecking your Vega, nevermind the 6700

I'm coming from a Vega to a 6700 too and it just arrived. Did you need to remove the Vega drivers?

Soldato
You dont need to use DDU with both AMD and nvidia they have built in tick boxes that ask you 'Do you want a clean install' and they will remove guff and fresh install for you. DDU is so 2018! :p

What about when you are swapping brands, both AMD and Nvidia fresh install only remove their "own" guff.

Soldato
Yea for swapping brands I would recommend you uninstall everything the normal way and then reboot to safe mode and run DDU across it to clean any detritus left behind, then power off put new card in and install fresh drivers.

I've just had a closer look at my 6700XT. it's most certainly dead, raised an RMA request for it now, I just hope I can get another one, even if it's not exactly the same model, just aslong as it's a 6700XT :(

Caporegime
What a faff, I've never done any of that. Same brand, clean install.
Different brand Changing from AMD to NVIDIA or vice versa, uninstall the old stuff and do a clean install.

Never had issues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wouldn't even uninstall for a different brand these days, unplug and plug in. Why bother.

I mean brand of card. Oooops. Nvida to AMD, yeah I'll uninstall.

Soldato
Some games will prefer more CPU, seems feasible. Anyone still waiting should probably consider that idea if not near current, I think dx12 and vulcan do make for more cpu usage if I remember right though it depends how well its all done.

May drop it to 1440p
One review suggested this was the peak res for this card though it can do any of course

Associate
I find chat about usable resolution weird in reviews. But maybe that's from growing up during the explosion of 3D accelerated graphics. And 60 FPS not always being possible regardless of your card.

End of last year I was feeding a 4K TV with a GTX 1060, then an RTX2060. The bar is raised so high these days with ridiculous hardware such as the 3090 and high res screens. An RTX 2060 is fine for 4K gaming, as long as you aren't comparing it to a 3080 etc.

I always told myself I'd never pay more than £300 for a second hand graphics card... Getting this new 6700xt is an exception mainly due to FOMO, and knowing I can get a decent price for my RTX2060.

Back
Top Bottom