Anyone used an Intel NUC 11?

Associate
I have a nuc 8 and have just put it into an akasa turing case. Lovely bit of kit. I am adding 2 very quiet 120mm fans to it though. I'm using it as a server at the moment. If I was just using it for a media pc then no fans need to be added. The fan noise from the standard nuc setup is really quite loud.

Associate
Sorry to jump in, I'm after something as small as one of these for playing RTS games in my Steam library at 1440P as well as other general windows stuff, are they up to the job or don't bother?

I wouldn't use a nuc for gaming personally. Because of the size of the board, it's cooling is limited. You will get big heat spikes with it gaming. As fantastic as these tiny computers are, they can't cope very well with some things.

Associate
I wouldn't use a nuc for gaming personally. Because of the size of the board, it's cooling is limited. You will get big heat spikes with it gaming. As fantastic as these tiny computers are, they can't cope very well with some things.

How about the Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast i7 which is designed for gaming and media development?

Associate
How about the Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast i7 which is designed for gaming and media development?

Is the Nuc using the Intel Iris Xe? Doesn't matter.

Yeah, still going to suffer from big heat spikes and graphics are going to be limited.

If your looking at an i7 nuc, for that money I think you can build a much better gaming computer. If your only playing CS:GO and older stuff like that, the Nuc will be fine. Modern games will batter a nuc.

My nuc 8 is decent spec, i5, 32gb ram, 512gb m.2 3500mbps read write and 2tb ssd. It uses the Intel iris 655. This was cooking just being a plex server in the standard case, granted everything is 10bit. Only now with new case which is basically a huge heatsink, does it run cool.

But hey, each to their own. It depends what games you want to play. What's your nuc build estimated cost? Around the grand mark? If you want a media pc then I'd go nuc. If your after a gaming/ all rounder I'd bang a pc together. You can still keep the size smaller than a full tower. Just make sure you can fit a decent graphics card into it. I can install gta 5 on my nuc to see what fps I get if you want?

Associate
Is the Nuc using the Intel Iris Xe? Doesn't matter.

Yeah, still going to suffer from big heat spikes and graphics are going to be limited.

If your looking at an i7 nuc, for that money I think you can build a much better gaming computer. If your only playing CS:GO and older stuff like that, the Nuc will be fine. Modern games will batter a nuc.

My nuc 8 is decent spec, i5, 32gb ram, 512gb m.2 3500mbps read write and 2tb ssd. It uses the Intel iris 655. This was cooking just being a plex server in the standard case, granted everything is 10bit. Only now with new case which is basically a huge heatsink, does it run cool.

But hey, each to their own. It depends what games you want to play. What's your nuc build estimated cost? Around the grand mark? If you want a media pc then I'd go nuc. If your after a gaming/ all rounder I'd bang a pc together. You can still keep the size smaller than a full tower. Just make sure you can fit a decent graphics card into it. I can install gta 5 on my nuc to see what fps I get if you want?

The mobile RTX2060 in the Enthusiast the seems pretty good, there are games clips in the video i posted or charts

https://www.techspot.com/review/1804-geforce-rtx-2060-laptop/

Sure you are compromising with the NUC, but you get adequate gaming performance and amazing media performance from either the RTX or XE outputs

Associate
I have a NUC11PAHi7 gathering dust, was hoping to get Proxmox on it, but it's not supported yet and it seems it can only be installed by way of a fudge. May give it a shot now as I've bought a new NAS and want to offload the transcoding onto the NUC11.

Associate
Finally got it working in a roundabout way - I can only suggest waiting until the software catches up before splashing out, if even you can source one!

Associate

Yep, that's me on that thread too - there was another thread where I asked the user amelter about it and he kindly provided instructions, but that thread got closed off by Reddit's spam filters for some reason (wasn't his original post, so he made a new one as above). There were just a couple of things I had read on other posts about setting up Proxmox that weren't relevant to the NUC11 and that was where i got stuck. I'm too long in the tooth mired in a Windows background, showing myself up in Linuxland!

https://www.reddit.com/r/intelnuc/comments/n1akhd/which_hypervisor_type_1_is_supported_on_the/

Still need to wait for the drivers to catch up though, there is no Iris Xe transcoding as of yet, I'll just brute force the transcoding for now, got a few other VM's and containers I want to run on the NUC anyway.

Associate
Month or 2 later, how are people getting on with their NUC11s? Any pics of how you've got them setup?
My diminutive NUC11 i7 sitting atop a Razer Core X (with 5700XT inside). MSFS 2020 running pretty well with it.

nuc11-razer-core-x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom