Should I get an IPS over a led

Soldato
All modern displays (ignoring OLED) are LED.

You have a choice between TN, VA, and IPS. That decision depends on what you're going to be using for, any specific requirements you have, and how much you're willing to spend.

Permabanned
There is no such thing as a perfect monitor, no matter how much you spend. The real question I suppose is what weaknesses annoy you most, or what strengths attract you most. Personally, I love IPS monitors, but they are not the fastest of monitors and they are well known for weaker contrast, but they have fantastic colours and great viewing angles.

Soldato
How are they for Windows & general PC stuff?
I never had a problem and love my 34" & 35" UW's

But some people no like or don't get on with curved screens

But can take a few days or weeks to get used to a curved screen, I remember when i first bought my 34" UW in 2016 and thought for the first few days i would never get used to the curve but now most the time i don't even notice it got a curve

Associate
Your Choices are IPS, VA, TN. Personally I think IPS and TN panels for the most part are meh but VA panels while they offer superior picture quality don't always have the best dark level response resulting in dark smearing(Minus the G7 to a degree) so pick your poison.

Soldato
How are they for Windows & general PC stuff?

I know you are angling for a new monitor(s) if you ignore the model type for the moment after using my UW 34" coming from 32" 16:9 for a couple of days I`m slowly getting used to it. Things I like the extra screen space for gaming, widescreen movies fill the screen no black bars (if in the right ratio). I do find I have to move my head more slightly when using say Outlook. My slouch position is 80cm from the screen, my proper situp type is 60cm from screen. I have found due to the extra width my slouch position is a lot more comfortable than with the 32" screen.
I sometimes do video editing and my problem has always been width of screen and this one also solves that issue. For general Windows and PC stuff its as good if not better than 16:9.

With this particular model I can see why some people dont like it as the whites are not quite white and I only noticed it by comparing it to my phone screen and my wifes AOC screen. It has took some fiddling to get it how I want. I have since discovered there is some IPS Glow at certain places particularly the bottom left corner which I can see now why this was returned for B Grade. However I cant see it during the day I only noticed it last night when I was checking it again a black screen. I still think I`m going to keep this even despite that because the price I paid was very good and I can live with the IPS Glow.

With regards to the OP its not a simple case of IPS v LED as IPS is a panel technology and LED is a backlight technology.

Monitors on the forum are generally differentiated between IPS v TN v VA

Personally I prefer IPS for the colour reproduction, sharpness and viewing angles. Some people prefer VA for the deep blacks. Realistically your choice is between IPS and VA but you will only know which you prefer by visually looking yourself.

Associate
I always find a fast modern IPS panel to be the best choice with decent response times that can now compete with TN panels, excellent colours and a wide viewing angle (not that you'll be gaming sideways at your desk). The only downside really is IPS glow that can be a bit distracting if gaming or watching a movie in the dark, but some panels are better than others when it comes to this. I can also say that VA panels can also have a glow similar to IPS, but their pixel response times are slower...Especially when transitioning between bright and dark images/scenes/objects. This produces the known VA "smear" effect that that can be distracting after you notice it.

TN panels are great for pixel response time and the colours and image quality are not as bad as they used to be, but still not what I'd call great. Viewing angles are narrow when it comes to colour shift etc..., But like I said, you won't be gaming sitting sideways (I hope). I would always go for a decent IPS panel over TN or VA. They also all use LED backlighting these days.

Back
Top Bottom