Cooling advice please...

Soldato
Hi.

I have a Fractal Meshify 2, a 5900x, a h115i Pro RGB and 3x Silent Wings 140mm fans.

I want to make a positive pressure case, to help with keeping dust out.

I was thinking of mounting the h115 as a roof pull intake. Having 2x 140mm fans front intake and 1x 140mm fan as rear exhaust.

Opinions welcome.

Associate
That single exhaust won't be capable of pulling all the warm air out of the system quickly enough with 4 intakes. So your case will just be a bunch of swirling warm air. As long as you're not running complete negative pressure system, the amount of dust build up won't be a problem. I would personally put the rad up front and have 1 rear and 1 top exhaust. Just don't mix and match intake/exhaust in the same row of fans, like having 2 top fans where one exhausts and one intakes.

Associate
Hi.

I have a Fractal Meshify 2, a 5900x, a h115i Pro RGB and 3x Silent Wings 140mm fans.

I want to make a positive pressure case, to help with keeping dust out.

I was thinking of mounting the h115 as a roof pull intake. Having 2x 140mm fans front intake and 1x 140mm fan as rear exhaust.

Opinions welcome.

The h115i will restrict the airflow; so you might consider each of those fans as moving 1/2 as much air compared to an intake or exhaust without restriction.

To provide the best balance I'd have 2 x intake and the 1 x exhaust as you propose, but also have the h115i fans exhausting air. This is a very common model; as it also uses natural convection to take the hot air out of the case (hot air rises).

As an aside - balanced airflow was shown to provide the least dust in a (fairly unscientific) LTT video on the topic, and slightly negative airflow is commonly believed (rightly or wrongly) to give better temps due to a reduction in vortexes. I'm not claiming either of those is valid, but in the absence of any real data on your specific situation might be worth an experiment.

Do let us know what you decide!

Associate
The h115i will restrict the airflow; so you might consider each of those fans as moving 1/2 as much air compared to an intake or exhaust without restriction.

To provide the best balance I'd have 2 x intake and the 1 x exhaust as you propose, but also have the h115i fans exhausting air. This is a very common model; as it also uses natural convection to take the hot air out of the case (hot air rises).

As an aside - balanced airflow was shown to provide the least dust in a (fairly unscientific) LTT video on the topic, and slightly negative airflow is commonly believed (rightly or wrongly) to give better temps due to a reduction in vortexes. I'm not claiming either of those is valid, but in the absence of any real data on your specific situation might be worth an experiment.

Do let us know what you decide!

I'd agree with most here except the hot air rises thing. In a pc case this small the air will go wherever its pushed.

So yeah op you go more positive you get more dust. You want it neutral as poss imo. Best cooling. Least dust.

People will argue where you put your aio but id say at the top as exhaust. I know your cpu won't be getting fresh air there, however;
A) your cpu won't be firing hot air directly at your gpu (and let's be honest this is where temps really matter for fps - ergo gpu boost)
B) your case won't be getting filled with nearly as much hot air to get rid of, benefiting other components
C) it allows you a close ratio of cfm in/out:
2 x 14cm in
2 x 14cm out (restricted so count as say 1)
then 1 x 12cm exhaust at the back.

Thats easier than trying to mix/match the fans on top for in/out

Associate
I'd say to keep that balance though AND stop dust, get some descent high ish rpm fans on the front (higher than the back), stick a filter on (will restrict airflow by 50 percent at the very worse) and enjoy a completely dust free pc.

Associate
Or just do what I do...

Cut the grills out and anything that blocks the path like screw mounts for the 12cm fans or filters etc with a dremmel, don't run filters, enjoy much lower temps at lower rpm/noise and just blast your pc with a can of air (about £3) once a year! Haha

Back
Top Bottom