Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Really fun F2 race, looking an open season as usual. Piastri and Lawson both look decent.

Going to be a bit of bity season with this new format, they don't race again till Monaco in May now!

Soldato
Guess Seb's bad lap was down to only one of those yellow flags...
Technically he only passed one yellow flag looking at the reason.

It's a bit harsh to penalise someone for ignoring a yellow flag they didn't have and give penalty points.

Drops him behind the two Haas's, though that means he's in prime position to suffer from Mazepin's ineptitude again.

Associate
5 place grid penalty and 3 penalty points seems a bit of a harsh punishment for Seb considering there was no illuminated light panel, no waved double yellows by a marshal either.

I hope Mazepin is not going to be this seasons Maldonado/torpedo!

Caporegime
5 place grid penalty and 3 penalty points seems a bit of a harsh punishment for Seb considering there was no illuminated light panel, no waved double yellows by a marshal either.

If there’s any possibility that Seb didn’t see the panels or flags it’s up to the team to notify the driver. I’d really expect some sort of automated system to beep in a drivers ear if they’re approaching a mini sector with a yellow or double yellow.

Man of Honour

Just shown it on sky
Yellow light board was flashing, and there would have been a light on his steering wheel too.

Associate
I just saw it on sky, I was going to say, I was quoting the stewards report. If it was on track then I guess it’s a slam dunk.
I was questioning the reaction given that the track side was reported as not having reacted yet. 18th to last is perhaps not as damaging as it could have been for him.

Associate
Yeah, I don't get that. How can he be penalised for a flag that was never shown to him?

3 penalty points aswell??

Isn’t that more than the unsafe release and driving in the pit lane between max and bottas that led to contact?

I can understand the FIA wanting to be strict on flag following, but to have such a strong punishment when the yellow flags had not been deployed seems heavy handed.

*edit - I haven’t seen the sky footage, so ignore if the lights were deployed in cockpit

Soldato
Just shown it on sky
Yellow light board was flashing, and there would have been a light on his steering wheel too.
If it's the one I saw they showed the yellow sign for Sainz stopped on the exit of turn 8 while Ted was talking over the top about the incident he was punished for (Mazepin stopped at turn 1). I might have missed it, but I don't think they showed a replay of turn 1.

Back
Top Bottom