The Suez Canal is currently not blocked

Soldato
i somehow feel that sustaining the crew is probably not the biggest carbon generation for a cargo ship......

My point was the reduction in resources required in the building of a vessel.

The space and energy the crew take up on a modern cargo ship is tiny compared to the other things the ship needs.

IIRC a ship the size of the one that's stuck might have 30 crew, even if you allow them the space of a couple of cargo containers each that's only about a third of a percent of the space the Evergreen uses for it's cargo.

You're also not going to see ships without crews of some sort for a very, very long time as besides needing crew to pilot them they need the crew to do ongoing maintenance, monitor the ship for potential issues, fighting fires (and then doing repairs), none of which can be effectively automated much more than is already done as the crew sizes on the average modern cargo ship is already very small, they aren't like the old steam ships where you had to have dozens of guys just to keep the boiler running.

Partly true, crew areas take up about the space of 200 containers (entire super structure plus crew walkways, engine room space etc...). The space you save is larger than people think (I checked with my missus as she's a naval architect and has been onboard hundreds of ships).
At the moment, companies are going along the lines of autonomous means no crew at all as they are remotely operated and monitored. Trials are being run at the moment on varying sizes of vessel and its really interesting stuff as you can probably imagine.
There isn't as much to crash into at sea as there are hazards for autonomous cars.

When you use fuel by tonnes per hour I'm not sure a few people on board makes any material difference.

I think most people would be surprised at how much it costs to crew a ship of this size. Wages, insurance, mandatory courses, systems, certification and legislation.... there's a reason they charge so much. Add in more fuel efficient systems and the cost saving is massive.

Man of Honour
Surely if you managed to nab a job on there doing something it would also be a lot cheaper?

Is working your passage still a thing? The crew is tiny for such a large vessel, so I wouldn't expect there to be any scope for extra or substitute crew unless you had the relevant skills and experience and were cover for a crew member who was unavailable for whatever reason. I'd also expect some security concerns. But I don't know. Maybe someone with knowledge of the bulk shipping industry will answer.

Caporegime
Is working your passage still a thing? The crew is tiny for such a large vessel, so I wouldn't expect there to be any scope for extra or substitute crew unless you had the relevant skills and experience and were cover for a crew member who was unavailable for whatever reason. I'd also expect some security concerns. But I don't know. Maybe someone with knowledge of the bulk shipping industry will answer.
I wonder what services a person could provide to some sailors...? :p

Man of Honour
[..] Partly true, crew areas take up about the space of 200 containers (entire super structure plus crew walkways, engine room space etc...). The space you save is larger than people think (I checked with my missus as she's a naval architect and has been onboard hundreds of ships).
At the moment, companies are going along the lines of autonomous means no crew at all as they are remotely operated and monitored. Trials are being run at the moment on varying sizes of vessel and its really interesting stuff as you can probably imagine.
There isn't as much to crash into at sea as there are hazards for autonomous cars. [..]

Even if there wasn't a crew, wouldn't some of that space still be necessary to allow people access for maintainence/cleaning/repair work? I'm assuming there'd have to be some sort of servicing by people. Or could it be designed to be storage space in transit and accessible space for people during servicing? Wouldn't that be inefficient because it wouldn't be in standard container sizes?

Man of Honour
What fascinates me, is that the ship seen on TV screens has the name EVERGREEN visible all along the side of it, but even with it in shot, the news anchors are calling it EVER GIVEN, some newspapers are giving it that name too, and on Googling for the name of the vessel blocking the Suez Canal, it said, “Egypt’s Suez Canal Authority said that the EVER GIVEN veered off course, and ran aground on Tuesday, when strong winds whipped up a sandstorm that affected visibility.”
Gimme a break over here, do I need to visit SpecSavers, or am I missing something?

Soldato
What fascinates me, is that the ship seen on TV screens has the name EVERGREEN visible all along the side of it, but even with it in shot, the news anchors are calling it EVER GIVEN, some newspapers are giving it that name too, and on Googling for the name of the vessel blocking the Suez Canal, it said, “Egypt’s Suez Canal Authority said that the EVER GIVEN veered off course, and ran aground on Tuesday, when strong winds whipped up a sandstorm that affected visibility.”
Gimme a break over here, do I need to visit SpecSavers, or am I missing something?
The ships name is Ever Given. Evergreen is the company :p

There is .....
Ever Golden
Ever Genius
Ever Gifted
Ever Glory
Ever Globe
Ever Goods
Ever Grade
Ever Gentle
Ever Govern
Ever Greet

Edit: Jean-F you are my favourite London Taxi Driver OCUK member, FYI.

Soldato

There is .....
Ever Golden
Ever Genius
Ever Gifted
Ever Glory
Ever Globe
Ever Goods
Ever Grade
Ever Gentle
Ever Govern
Ever Greet

Now we have Ever Grounded, renamed to commemorate this stupendous achievement.

I think now that someone has proved it can be done, the world needs a parallel cut and crossovers allowing such vessels to contraflow.

Associate
Should pump helium into all the TEUs and see what happens.
Our flood the ballast tanks to sink it further down, then empty the ballast tanks to let it raise out of the now depressed ground below.
Or would it just stay sick in the mud?

Or worse. Snap if both ends are overloaded.

I'll stick to video games:D

Man of Honour

There is .....
Ever Golden
Ever Genius
Ever Gifted
Ever Glory
Ever Globe
Ever Goods
Ever Grade
Ever Gentle
Ever Govern
Ever Greet

Gee thanks for the big-up dLockers, if the name of the ship has ever been explained, I must have missed it, it’s just that every time it came on the TV screen, all I could see was EVERGREEN.
Maybe if the stern had ever been in shot I may have seen EVER GIVEN under the fluttering flag.

Soldato
Gee thanks for the big-up dLockers, if the name of the ship has ever been explained, I must have missed it, it’s just that every time it came on the TV screen, all I could see was EVERGREEN.
Maybe if the stern had ever been in shot I may have seen EVER GIVEN under the fluttering flag.

See post #23, it's common to have the shipping line on the side as the livery, and sometimes the names are similar.

Associate
So the ship drew a dick pic before entering the canal. This looks like it was deliberate?

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/24/carg...-red-sea-before-blocking-suez-canal-14298538/

Coincidence. Probably just holding position waiting to transit.

Not really possible. You'd need to do various courses and basic qualifications on sea survival etc before setting foot on there as a crew member, the costs for these would easily run into thousands. Then if you could get a job on a ship like that you would be working at the very lowest level where you could expect a salary which would would be considered incredibly low by Western standards, probably not much more than $1000 a month. That's for working every day for probably about 12 hours with no days off, for several months at a time. There is a reason most of the crew on ships like this are from developing countries.

Back
Top Bottom