Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I don't know about him(Vettel) but i know if it were me having a wife and kids would've slowed me down. I guess his priorities might have changed? Probably also knows he doesn't have a strong enough car underneath him for him to then make up the final difference with his skill etc. He signed a multi year deal though didn't he?

With regards to Max he is much like the very early Hamilton. He needs to start making better decisions and realise that diving into everything head first isn't the answer. (Like Hamilton cottoned on to and learnt from and ultimately became a better driver through.) He could easily follow in Hamilton's footsteps success wise but he needs to get smarter with some of his decision making. Because there is no disputing that he is an extremely quick driver and probably one of the best on the grid at the moment pace wise.

Soldato
I don't know about him(Vettel) but i know if it were me having a wife and kids would've slowed me down. I guess his priorities might have changed? Probably also knows he doesn't have a strong enough car underneath him for him to then make up the final difference with his skill etc. He signed a multi year deal though didn't he?
But it's not like he's just slower, he's made a LOT of mistakes/unforced errors over the past few years, spinning/crashing/hitting other cars is surely more concerning to his family than outright speed.

Soldato
But it's not like he's just slower, he's made a LOT of mistakes/unforced errors over the past few years, spinning/crashing/hitting other cars is surely more concerning to his family than outright speed.

It's been suggested to Vettel publicly (ie in interviews/articles) that he should use a sports psychologist as many other drivers do and he's always refused. He basically thinks he's fine the way he is, and that's an illustration of why he still makes the same errors over and over. He thinks he's the same man who swept the board out front in the dominant Red Bull, even though the sport and other drivers have changed around him. I'm sure having a family and ageing has also had an impact.

When you look at how Hamilton has changed as a driver over the years become more successful, and then compare it to Vettel being stagnant and being unsuccessful, it shows that F1 has evolved away from Vettel and left him behind. He just can't see it, and it's been that way for years.

Soldato
Red Bull rather threw that away. That said, if their drivetrain issue was an issue they couldn't resolve then Verstappen did well to stay in the battle for the lead and probably still should have won. So still many questions that need answering in terms of race pace.

It's good to see Perez's race pace hasn't suffered from a switch in teams with another brilliant comeback and you have to think he'll be solidly finishing in the top 4 in most races.

McLaren looked much better in the race conditions after a disappointing qualifying (relative to their practice and testing pace). A full 14 seconds closer to the front than at any point last season (in races without mid-late race safety cars). Ferrari too looked much better, and Sainz unexpectedly appeared to be at least on Leclerc's pace until his issue in qualifying. Alonso had an awesome first few laps and showed plenty of his old fight, but he needed laps under his belt.

Alpha Tauri had so much promise through Q1 and they'll be disappointed with just 9th. However Imola next and they went well there last season.

Struggling to think of a worse debut than Mazepin's. The best I can come up with in the last 35 years is Jean-Louis Schlesser, who took out Senna in 1988 while being lapped at Monza and ruined McLaren's perfect record of winning every race... however it doesn't really count as he previously failed to qualify at a single race in 1983, so it wasn't his debut weekend.

I wonder why they didn’t spray the fake bubbly on the podium.
In respect of Murray and perhaps Dumfries? I know Murray would want them to carry on as normal, but perhaps overall they felt it better not too?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Struggling to think of a worse debut than Mazepin's. The best I can come up with in the last 35 years is Jean-Louis Schlesser, who took out Senna in 1988 while being lapped at Monza and ruined McLaren's perfect record of winning every race... however it doesn't really count as he previously failed to qualify at a single race in 1983, so it wasn't his debut weekend.

Nelson Piquet Jr maybe? Qualified nine places off his team mate, crashed into Fisichella at turn one taking him out, then spent 30 laps doing nothing very much before retiring.

Caporegime
as i thought, alpine were garbage, such a shame, they are now back of the midfield. alonso is going to get grumpy.
alonso did well, but he was falling back, and ocon never looked anything other than medicore.
supported this team for a long while, know they will never win, but to go this far back is still sad

classic vettel with that ramming, aston martin deserve that for getting rid of perez for vettel, we all thought it was crazy

perez already feels better than the other rbr 2nd drivers. hope to see him beating bottas

shame for verstappen, i really wanted him to get it, as said, it was red bulls to lose, and they did, but those two drivers are in a league of their own, so glad honda/rbr have delivered!

bottas, standard bottas really

looks like mclaren Vs ferrari might be good, norris did very well, aggressive throughout

enjoyed the last laps, but f1 is still not great with DRS an absolute requirement, shame.

oh, impressed with Tsunoda, been looking good in testing etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a bad race, just caught it on CH4 highlights (god awful imo)

So close but no cigar, good to see a fight at the front but Lewis showing his class again. Hoping to see more of it tbh, a well fought championship win is always sweeter imo.

Once Perez gets his eye in I think Bottas could be in for a world of pain and Merc will have some questions to ask.

I know Lewis and Max were in a class of their own, but I was actually impressed with Norris and was pleased to see him in 4th.

Vettle... well.

Let's see what the next race brings, Merc I'd say have some work to do but if any team can find some more performance when it matters you wouldn't bet against them.

Soldato
Shame Stroll got a point, would've preferred AM get nothing at all... Vettel blaming Ocon was just weird...

DRS was quite powerful today, I was getting really annoyed with the commentators hyping it up as Verstappen closed, thinking it would be an easy pass... But kudos to Hamilton, I'm a fan anyway but it seems like Red Bull had the definite advantage and Verstappen was quick, Hamilton made him work for it and got the benefits of that small mistake from Verstappen.

McLaren being quick is great to see, as is Ferrari :)

Didn't pay much attention to Tsunoda but he didn't do great in qualification it seemed but solid result getting points in your debut.

I think Red Bull are gonna kick themselves if Mercedes make a step in fixing the issues before Imola, but either way it seems like we're getting a far closer season which is good for everyone :)

Soldato
Shame Stroll got a point, would've preferred AM get nothing at all... Vettel blaming Ocon was just weird...

DRS was quite powerful today
It was more effective, as was the slipstream, as there was a strong headwind down the main straight. It was the same in the second and third GP2 races, but the first GP2 race was pretty boring as the wind was blowing in the opposite direction.

Man of Honour

Al Pease - Started 6 laps down due to a dead battery, spun and stalled and had to run back to the pits for a replacement battery, got going again and finished 43 laps down (in a 90 lap race)
Perry McCarthy - Superlicence was withdrawn by officials.

Soldato
Bottas is going to have a horrible season, isn’t he?

Verstappen and Hamilton scrapping it out ahead of him, Perez all over him like a cheap suit and the McLaren’s/Gasly waiting behind to swoop in when he screws up.

Soldato
I think if he sits back and watches the end of that of that race again, Max will realise he'd have been better off conceding the overtake earlier, sticking close and making another go from a close DRS position.

Forcing it, going off track, having to let him back past and then reattack has really cost him there.

Exactly. Max is going to have to learn that a little patience is going to pay off now he has a car that’ll match a Mercedes.

Caporegime
perez already feels better than the other rbr 2nd drivers. hope to see him beating bottas

In Albon's first race for Red Bull, he fought back from 17th to 5th. Similar story. Pérez was a lot closer to 4th, but then 4th was a lot further back from 3rd this time around, on the other hand the chasing pack were closer in pace to the leaders. Either way, seems a bit early to judge him even though I agree with your assessment.

Back
Top Bottom