*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Sure, but I would definitely wait now. It will be out by Christmas, although we don’t know the details about the specs so many games currently struggle on the existing hardware.
7 year old won't care.
Rumors are still rumours and nobody but some seniors will know whats happening..we've had everything from its '4x more powerful' to 'they are just changing to a dlss supported chip'

And given the worldwide chip shortage there is just no way they are going to be able to launch this year without it being a complete farce.

Soldato
Just before I buy, could someone confirm that this is the latest model and best/decent price, please?

Nintendo Switch (Monster Hunter Rise Edition) + Animal Crossing New Horizons

£376.98

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VB3C1V9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_0GA6203MP8CSKDB3R0RD?psc=1

I presume since monster hunter is brand new it will be the latest version. Price wise that's standard rrp. Worth it though imo.

Just picked up hades, first ever rogue like I've played, loving the progression system, seems slow but fair. Hard but not crazy hard. Yet to get passed Magaera but only had a few goes.

Associate
Yeah, red box is the new revision. Been out quite a while now, doubt you'd be able to buy an original version new now if you wanted to

Soldato
Ok, so the Amazon version is premium priced as it has the Monster Hunter branding? I can get the console from Argos with the animal crossing game for £319 but on Amazon it's £379.

Just making sure I'm not missing something so apologies if this seems a stupid question, it's just not like Amazon to be so uncompetitive.

Soldato
Ok, so the Amazon version is premium priced as it has the Monster Hunter branding? I can get the console from Argos with the animal crossing game for £319 but on Amazon it's £379.

Just making sure I'm not missing something so apologies if this seems a stupid question, it's just not like Amazon to be so uncompetitive.
The Monster Hunter console is a Ltd edition and also comes with the new Monster Hunter Rise game that just came out. So you are paying normal price if the console is £279.99 and the games are roughly £50 each.

7" OLED screen, DLSS, 4K support when docked (via DLSS). It will play all of the same games though.

I had to look up what DLSS is. It seems to be an Nvidia tech that vectorises raster graphics so that 720p/1080p still appears sharp @ 4K. Have I understood that correctly?

I use my Switch on a monitor as I don't have a TV and the resolution is 2560 (I think) by 1440. Will that be ok for the new Switch? Not sure if that's 2K or 4K as 2.560 multiplied by 1.440 is just under 4.

Man of Honour
I had to look up what DLSS is. It seems to be an Nvidia tech that vectorises raster graphics so that 720p/1080p still appears sharp @ 4K. Have I understood that correctly?

I use my Switch on a monitor as I don't have a TV and the resolution is 2560 (I think) by 1440. Will that be ok for the new Switch? Not sure if that's 2K or 4K as 2.560 multiplied by 1.440 is just under 4.

The K number refers to the horizontal resolution (rounded) for a 16:9 display. 2K = 1080p.

Soldato
Pretty sure QHD is not 2k. QHD is 1440p which is 2560x1440.

Yup.

High Definition (HD or HD Ready or 720p) = vertical display resolution of 720 pixels.
Full HD (FHD or 1080p) = vertical display resolution of 1080 pixels.
Quad HD (QHD or 1440p) = vertical display resolution of 1440 pixels ('Quad HD' because the total number of pixels is 4x that of 'HD').
Ultra HD (4K) = horizontal display resolution of 3840 pixels (i.e. almost 4K pixels).

The film projection industry already used horizontal resolution for naming. So the shift to "4K" simply brought terminology in the consumer market in line with industry standards. By this measure, FHD is a "2K" resolution (and the projection industry already used "2K" to refer to images with a ~2,000 pixel horizontal resolution).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for explaining the resolutions.

On an unrelated note, has anyone barely touched their switch in months. I played the new 3D mario & bowsers Fury and haven't touched it since. Barely played it for months before that as well.

I got a 2nd hand Switch last September and been playing on it most days. Put about 160 hours into so far, mostly made up of Zelda Link's Awakening, Super Mario Party, 3D All-Stars (Mario Galaxy) and 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I play these docked. On handheld, I enjoy the 51 Worldwide Games compilation in the car or when I'm at my parents (as I'm their +1 / support bubble thingy).

Soldato
Thanks guys for explaining the resolutions.

I got a 2nd hand Switch last September and been playing on it most days. Put about 160 hours into so far, mostly made up of Zelda Link's Awakening, Super Mario Party, 3D All-Stars (Mario Galaxy) and 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I play these docked. On handheld, I enjoy the 51 Worldwide Games compilation in the car or when I'm at my parents (as I'm their +1 / support bubble thingy).

I'm offended by not seeing Breath of the Wild on that list... :D

Back
Top Bottom