Car speakers

Soldato
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not, sorry. I'm looking to replace the speakers in the car, I've already tried a recommended set of Alpine's but they sound bloody awful and have absolutely no bass response.

Head unit is the default Renault Medianav Evo and I don't really want to change that, just need some 13cm speakers that don't fart every time something with the slightest bit of bass is played.

Cheers.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is generally the amp which causes this.

I don't know much about car audio, but i do have experience of swapping the headunit in cars absolutely years ago. This totally transformed apparently farty OEM speakers, which then sounded great.

Soldato
OP
This is generally the amp which causes this.

I don't know much about car audio, but i do have experience of swapping the headunit in cars absolutely years ago. This totally transformed apparently farty OEM speakers, which then sounded great.

That's unfortunate, getting a new double din head unit takes the cost from less than £100 to over £300, I think I'll slap the old OEM ones back in, they at least sound better than the manky Alpines.

Soldato
That's unfortunate, getting a new double din head unit takes the cost from less than £100 to over £300, I think I'll slap the old OEM ones back in, they at least sound better than the manky Alpines.

I have amped speakers in my car with the original head unit, you get a high to low level converter which is inbetween the amp and head unit, takes the voltage out the signal so that you can do what you want with it. Quality will not be as good as a new head unit but I too didn't want to spend out.

Caporegime
I got a Pioneer double din head unit the other day off gumtree for under £30, as said, it’s transformed the quality of the oem speakers in the car I fitted it to.

Soldato
Just get some speakers with a high sensitivty (need less power to drive). Aim for some that are 90dB+, ideally 93dB.

I use some Audison APX4 or APX5 which are reasonable value, high quality and have a high sensitivity. They also have the tweeter set down deep so it won't clash with any grilles.

Soldato
OP
Just get some speakers with a high sensitivty (need less power to drive). Aim for some that are 90dB+, ideally 93dB.

I use some Audison APX4 or APX5 which are reasonable value, high quality and have a high sensitivity. They also have the tweeter set down deep so it won't clash with any grilles.

Hrm, the Alpines are 92db but they honestly sound awful.

What input range are the speakers, quite possible your not giving them enough to drive them properly, whats their impedance
So then you turn the volume up and potentially end up with the amp clipping since its not got enough juice to drive the full wave

As others have said, assuming no RCA out from your headunit, buy an amp with high input (or a converter) and take the headunit signal from speaker out to the amp, use the amp to boost the signal
Ideally you want the amp to work fairly hard and the head unit not too much since the internal headunit amp will be small so you dont want to push it too high

Also check you 100% have them in phase and you havent wired one backwards so they are out of phase. (check each speak on its own, ie via front/side balance. Then fade them back in, do they sound the same but from a wider source, or suddenly sound different, if they sound different its pretty likely you have wired them wrongly

Soldato
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not, sorry. I'm looking to replace the speakers in the car, I've already tried a recommended set of Alpine's but they sound bloody awful and have absolutely no bass response.

Head unit is the default Renault Medianav Evo and I don't really want to change that, just need some 13cm speakers that don't fart every time something with the slightest bit of bass is played.

Cheers.

13cm and bass wont go together. first step is to check if the car you have came with models that had optional stereo upgrade that had more/better speakers or factory sub. you can then try scrap yards or breakers and see if you can get a hold of the original sub etc.
failing that when getting speakers to run from headunit getting ones that have massive magnets and huge wattage is usually counter productive since those speakers have lower efficiency and need more power to move the cone due to stiffer suspension etc.
ideal to get speakers that are around 20-30w rms if you dont have tweeters and dont want to mess around with putting components in and drilling holes and adding wires then coax speakers will be fine.
iv found in a lot of newer cars changing the head unit and adding a sub is enough since if you get a head unit that has a built in crossover control you can filter out the bass from going to the door speakers and have bass just go to the sub. that method allows the factory door speakers a lot more breathing space and they can be pushed higher without risk of distortion due to excessive cone travel tearing the surrounds or voice coil bottoming out.
proper car audio forum or a forum for your specific car is a good starting point for ideas.

Soldato
OP
thanks for all the replies, I think given the advice a new head unit is in order, last question (promise) will all double din head units fit in all cars that already have double din head unit?

And just in case anyone thinks I'm a teenager wanting to pump out gopnik hard bass on the way to Tesco, that's not me, I'm old, it's not my thing ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll probably fit with the correct fascia adapter.

Are you looking to gain features or just sound quality? If it's just the sound I'd be going down the Vibe micro amp first. It's plug & play so could even return it if not satisfied.

Soldato
It'll probably fit with the correct fascia adapter.

Are you looking to gain features or just sound quality? If it's just the sound I'd be going down the Vibe micro amp first. It's plug & play so could even return it if not satisfied.
Agreed. Unless you want additional head unit features

Back
Top Bottom