The Suez Canal is currently not blocked

Caporegime
I imagine living on a Cargo freighter to be exactly like living on an oil rig. IE boring AF, mind numbing, monotonous noise.

Depending on your crew you could be eating curry with your hands for every meal :p

Someone said a floating Butlins... lol deffo 1990s furniture ftw.

Honestly not a romantic experience at all. Probably -50x slower and 5x more expensive than a flight too..
Absolutely spot on, days/weeks and indeed months sometimes, at sea, bored out of your mind to put it mildly.

A mate of mine did a two year traveling stint and got passage on a few container ships , he described it as fascinating from his perspective but for the regular crew for whom it was their day in day out, he wondered about quite a few of them mentally, I guess huge lengths of monotony and boredom does little good for the mind.

That said he was planning a similar jaunt ore covid so it couldn’t have been all bad ,for him at least.

Man of Honour
Absolutely spot on, days/weeks and indeed months sometimes, at sea, bored out of your mind to put it mildly.

A mate of mine did a two year traveling stint and got passage on a few container ships , he described it as fascinating from his perspective but for the regular crew for whom it was their day in day out, he wondered about quite a few of them mentally, I guess huge lengths of monotony and boredom does little good for the mind.

That said he was planning a similar jaunt ore covid so it couldn’t have been all bad ,for him at least.

One of those things which varies hugely person to person - some go out of their minds almost literally if they have to spend an afternoon with just themselves for company, others like myself can do weeks of it fine - especially if I have a laptop/PC with me and can lose myself for hours in various projects like coding (but not a pre-requisite).

EDIT: I watched a few YT videos on the subject after seeing this thread - amazing how many travellers struggled with it just doing 6-10 days never mind longer.

Associate
Merely have to dig a trench a couple hundred metres wide and 20-30m deep and do that for 120 miles if you want another canal.
Not 120 miles.
The total from distance Port Said to Suez (as a crow might fly) is 150km (93 miles).
However, the part of the canal from Port Said to Great Bitter Lake is already twin canal AFAIK, so to upgrade the canal to be twin the whole way would only involve a trench from Suez to the southern tip of the lake.
Which is "only" about 25km (again as the crow flies). I imagine they were considering that for capacity, now they might do it for redundancy too.

Soldato
It's too big to carry such a vast amount safely, or at least kepp control of. How likely is it that it'll be allowed via the canal again?

Back
Top Bottom