Audi owners in here!

Associate
Interested to hear the views of OCUK:

Car needs some work and while reviewed locally, the dealer I purchased from wants to do the work themselves (understandably, as will be cheaper)
I've been offered a loan car, they will pick up/drop off as required etc.
However in order to get my car to/from their garage, they will drive it - adding mileage, wear&tear and of course - the risk of someone driving a performance vehicle c.400miles.

They are looking into an alternative approach, but as a good will gesture on the mileage, have offered to replace all 4 tyres for free (like for like Michelin so c.£850 in value)

How would that sit with you?

Soldato
400miles?

I suppose it depends how precious you are. If it were my car which I pamper and have it in 100% my desired condition, I wouldn’t let anyone drive it anywhere, let alone 400 miles.

For me I would need to take into account the type of work required (mechanical/bodywork) and cost involved to see if it’s worth this level of hassle.

Is this an Audi dealer? If so, I would rather get my local dealer (who I prefer anyway) to do the work. If neither of these conditions, I might still rather get someone I trust to do the work locally and get the original dealer to make a contribution. What if there is a further issue with the work carried out, do you face another 400 miles to rectify?

If the car ‘must’ make this journey, I’d either do it myself or get the car transported.

Last edited:
Associate
400miles?

I suppose it depends how precious you are. If it were my car which I pamper and have it in 100% my desired condition, I wouldn’t let anyone drive it any where, let alone 400 miles.

For me I would need to take into account the type of work required (mechanical/bodywork) and cost involved to see if it’s worth this level of hassle.

Is this an Audi dealer? If so, I would rather get my local dealer (who I prefer anyway) to do the work. If neither of these conditions, I might still rather get someone I trust to do the work locally and get the original dealer to make a contribution. What if there is a further issue with the work carried out, do you face another 400 miles to rectify?

If the car ‘must’ make this journey, I’d either do it myself or get the car transported.

All mechanical - DRC fix, new aerial, gearbox reset plus some other minor bits. Both Audi dealerships. Estimated about £3-4k all in, plus tyres!

I'll have a think, in fairness, they've been very very good about it all - no quibbles, apologetic etc. Great service from both dealerships.

Soldato
Well, over two weeks later and I still haven't got my A6. It's fully paid for and they've replaced the timing belt and water pump as requested. However on giving it's final inspection before sign off they noticed damage to the passenger side door mirror so they ordered some more glass. And it still hasn't arrived. Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it!

In the meantime I've been worrying about how comfortable this thing is going to be. Everywhere I read I see it's going to be a firm or harsh ride as it's on 20" wheels and sports suspension. Then a few people say actually it's really quite comfortable. I'm coming from a 1.8 vvti vectra design, which isn't the best anyway!

Soldato
All mechanical - DRC fix, new aerial, gearbox reset plus some other minor bits. Both Audi dealerships. Estimated about £3-4k all in, plus tyres!

I'll have a think, in fairness, they've been very very good about it all - no quibbles, apologetic etc. Great service from both dealerships.

Ah, yes the DRC. Such issues shouldn’t really make it through Audi’s ‘checks’ before it lands on the forecourt. The cynic in me thinks if it’s not that bad/apparent, that the sales guys simply wait to see if the customer picks up on it. A period after sale and I’m sure the costs to fix come out of a different bucket. Is it just a leaking shock?

I guess the important thing is that’s it’s getting fixed, you just have to decide by who and where.

Associate
Ah, yes the DRC. Such issues shouldn’t really make it through Audi’s ‘checks’ before it lands on the forecourt. The cynic in me thinks if it’s not that bad/apparent, that the sales guys simply wait to see if the customer picks up on it. A period after sale and I’m sure the costs to fix come out of a different bucket. Is it just a leaking shock?

I guess the important thing is that’s it’s getting fixed, you just have to decide by who and where.
Yeah, a leaky shock, recommended replacement control unit.
The cynic in me agrees, not everyone is as picky as people that perhaps post on forums such as this!

Soldato
After running to Tesco's last night i just realised my 3 year Audi Connect package has expired so no more satellite maps, petrol prices etc.

Checked on Audi and the want nearly £150 for 1 year..... a little OTT dont you think? Anyone know a way to get it cheaper?

Soldato
After running to Tesco's last night i just realised my 3 year Audi Connect package has expired so no more satellite maps, petrol prices etc.

Checked on Audi and the want nearly £150 for 1 year..... a little OTT dont you think? Anyone know a way to get it cheaper?

Had this in December on the S3. You used to be able to sweet-talk the dealer into extending it for free but apparently they're being more strict now.

Also what car is it? Be aware that, if it's an older model then you may not get Google Maps back even with a licence extension as the old API has been retired or something. Some models have a firmware/software update available to correct this.

Soldato
Decided my next car will be an Audi TT or TTS. Haven't quite decided on manual/auto yet (will test drive them both), but I was wondering if there's any reason to avoid higher mileage cars (for example 2015/16 with 60/70k+ miles)?
Is the 2.0T TFSI engine (serviced as and when it should be) generally good for 100k+ miles?

Soldato
Had this in December on the S3. You used to be able to sweet-talk the dealer into extending it for free but apparently they're being more strict now.

Also what car is it? Be aware that, if it's an older model then you may not get Google Maps back even with a licence extension as the old API has been retired or something. Some models have a firmware/software update available to correct this.

Audi fixed/updated the system when it got its first MOT, but then i guess it expired, its an S5 btw. Guess i can try sweet talking them into an extension

Soldato
I ordered the wife an A3 Sportback 35 TFSI S line back on the 7th of August last year. After delay, after delay, it's finally being delivered next Tuesday. Just hoping the thing turns up in one piece.

Also had the S5 first MOT last week. No issues at all which is nice. Other than the issue I had with a faulty sensor that set the fans blasting all the time. It's been 3 years of trouble-free motoring. I keep looking for something to replace it with, but for now, I can't justify lobbing a load of cash at something just because it's something different. It has been and still is a fantastic motor.

Back
Top Bottom