Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Sometimes i forget how well off some people are on here. I've been piling a large amount of disposable cash into my ISA this last year along with the sale of some junk and still haven't hit that 20k limit, yet your post makes it sound almost casual to stick £20k in within the next few days to take advantage!

(Not moaning here, it's good there's a range, but it's certainly a reminder!)

You might have savings elsewhere or in a cash ISA that is earning so little interest (you'll be lucky to be getting 0.2-0.4 percent interest in an instant access savings account at the moment), so you might consider moving cash that's earning almost nothing to an alternative such as a S&S ISA. Obviously there's more risk, but also more chance of a reasonable return.

If you do transfer in from one ISA to another, do make sure you use your new provider's procedure for ensuring a transfer with no loss of the tax-free status and no use of the year's tax-free allowance. You don't want to close down a cash ISA and put the money into a S&S ISA, you want to make your new provider do a transfer from your old provider into your new S&S ISA.

Soldato
What's the deal with Argo Blockchain? It's a bit of a basket case compared to US listed blockchain stocks/miners. It falls just as much as others when BTC is down, but only rises by half as much or less when BTC is up.

I think I agree the Prism CEO that the UK is poor place in general for any tech stocks.

Associate
Traders or finance experts - what are you thoughts on this news today? https://www.ft.com/content/073509cd-fe45-44d2-afac-cace611b6900

A trigger for a short term event (confidence sell-off / contagion) or just a passing blip that is contained?

A big dump on Friday re: shorts / covering with big losses

Yeah those guys absolutely rinsed my companies shares (Discovery Ch) last friday, fell from $75 to $42 in the space of 1 hour. Even got an email from the CFO saying dont worry about the drop in share price as it doesn't reflect whats going on.

Associate
What's the deal with Argo Blockchain? It's a bit of a basket case compared to US listed blockchain stocks/miners. It falls just as much as others when BTC is down, but only rises by half as much or less when BTC is up.

I think I agree the Prism CEO that the UK is poor place in general for any tech stocks.

Yes that's the feeling that UK Tech companies / shares are unappreciated...another reason that both maybe looking at a NASDAQ/U.S. listing at some point.

Soldato
Yes that's the feeling that UK Tech companies / shares are unappreciated...another reason that both maybe looking at a NASDAQ/U.S. listing at some point.

It's just a smaller market here, we don't have the technology critical mass, because apparently all we care about is financial services.

Soldato
Is Freetrade a legit platform to use to buy some shares?

looking to buy some, tried etoro but seems a bit complicated. Freetrade looks nice and easy to use, just the having to balance transfer funds is a bit worrying.

Soldato
Is Freetrade a legit platform to use to buy some shares?

looking to buy some, tried etoro but seems a bit complicated. Freetrade looks nice and easy to use, just the having to balance transfer funds is a bit worrying.

Freetrade is legit, but most shares are behind a paywall. It's also terrible to use for anything other than pure buying or selling. Check charts and other attributes elsewhere.

Soldato
Freetrade is legit, but most shares are behind a paywall. It's also terrible to use for anything other than pure buying or selling. Check charts and other attributes elsewhere.

Just starting out and looking to invest for a decent amount of time rather than trading.

Noticed the paywall, is £9.99 a month too much? Not that I need it now anyway.

Soldato
Depending on what you are looking at purchasing, you won’t need the premium. Most of the common stocks are free.

Tesla stock longish term.

Might try that etoro with less money to play around with some more risky shares.

probably should try a dummy account, any other apps that let you do a practice account? I know 212 do but not taking any new customers at the moment.

Soldato
Tesla stock longish term.

Might try that etoro with less money to play around with some more risky shares.

probably should try a dummy account, any other apps that let you do a practice account? I know 212 do but not taking any new customers at the moment.

Big market cap stocks are usually free on there, and most UK PLCs will be, but if you are looking at more obscure stuff (sometimes not even that obscure) it will be behind one of the subscriptions.

Before you join, ask a friend to refer you and you'll get a free share (similar to T212). I think I ended up with B&M.

Soldato
A colleague recommended Beyond Meat as they have signed contracts to supply plant based burgers to McDonalds and other places.

Did a bit of research and you have McDonalds saying one thing and BM another - it has also had a good 100% pump over the last few years. So a little wary.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
So did anyone pile into Deliveroo? I worry that these public IPOs could really hurt some people.

@ivrytwr3 i think it’s got legs. However McDonalds have gone down their own route last I heard and weren’t going with BM. The alternative meat/plant based products have seen huge growth but in sales and share price. The latter probably out performing the former. Sales will continue to rise, and rise quickly, as more people move away from meat at least in part. However, valuations are already sky high. The question I guess is who will be the winners and losers. BM are clearly the market leaders and have a great product but a lot of growth is already priced in.

Back
Top Bottom