What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Happily

Crap, thought it was going to be a dark comedy, turned out to be some crud.

The Stand In

Thought it was going to be a low-effort comedy, turned off after 20 minutes as it was just a pile of nothingness even when going in with low expectations.

Associate
Soul

Absolutely wonderful film. I thought the ending and resolution of everything was a tad rushed at the end, but I still really really enjoyed it. 4.5/5.

Soldato
Greenland 5/10
It's quite well acted but never really held me and I found my self more interested in what the aftermath might be like rather than the panic before hand.

Soldato
Greta.

It was ok but so many plo tholes. I know a lot of films have them but just wow. Having said that i did enjoy it and as predictable as it was there were a few tense moments. 7 / 10

Soldato
Before sunrise 4/10
Not sure why this is so highly rated. I thought it was an utter snooze fest. An hour and three quarters of pointless banter between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. I really struggled to get to the end of this one without nodding off. Zzzzz.

Soldato
The Atomic Cafe

Basically a documentary made up of old propaganda films, news and educational clips in the post nuclear 40s and 50s.

I enjoyed it, it showed an oddly positive (and naive) view of 'The bomb' that I've never really seen in my lifetime. Had to Google to confirm it was real, because it felt a little like a parody in parts.

Quite dark, a little disturbing, and funny in parts.

Good shout on this, watched it last night, thought it was quite good. i enjoyed seeing the propganda vids, and the govermernt being completly cool with the thought of dropping nukes, like they are made of candy

Soldato
News of the World. 7/10

I avoided being put off by the title reminding me of the tabloid news paper and gave this a watch.
A little slow going in places but by the time you get to the end credits you do get the sense you've watched a decent movie.

Soldato
Greta.

It was ok but so many plo tholes. I know a lot of films have them but just wow. Having said that i did enjoy it and as predictable as it was there were a few tense moments. 7 / 10
Gave this a go last night because of your post - I really enjoyed it. Quite low brain power and did get the heart racing at times. Easy 6-7/10 - would rewatch happily in a few years time.

Associate
I finally caved and paid to watch Alien Covenant, simultaneously cancelling Amazon Prime in protest at how still hadn't put it on Prime yet despite being 3 years old.

As a huge Alien fan, where to begin.

Actually did a better job of building tension since any Alien related movie since Aliens in areas, did a nice job of the majesty and sheer size of the space craft, it looks great overall, and some decent pacing as he keeps it to 2 hours.

Then the casting, they're not bad in it, but let me tell you as someone who avoided spoilers for this I did not expect Danny McBride and Jussie Smollett (yeah you read that right) to have such prominent roles. A huge challenge for McBride in particular to overcome typecasting but he's not bad in it, nor Smollett, but it's still weird to see them.

But the story certainly takes a lot away from the mystery and horror of the Alien and facehugger origins, some of the proto Aliens are also poorly designed and pretty much as ridiculous as anything you see in the French styled Aliens movie from 1997, by trying to follow the muddying of the waters of Prometheus they've saddled themselves with a ton of loose ends to tie that didn't really need tying up or explaining.

Characters continue to be incredibly stupid and incautious in survival situations on unchartered planets carrying on from Prometheus (no one was that stupid in Alien, not even close, people got scared in Alien and screwed up in a realistic fashion) and a lot of deep mythology regarding Alien origins is watered down and reduced to Fassbender playing multiple roles in a 'knowing' fashion. The ending twist is also so obvious, it's insulting.

As a Ridley Scott directed movie it looks good and is well, or at least passably well paced as most of his movies are - he cut out half an hour thankfully. I enjoyed watching it but as part of an explanation for the series it really takes way a lot of the ancient mystery of the alien origin story for me.

So all the mystery about aliens I wondered about over the decades, all the wonder about their planet of origin, other similar species existing. It was all the highly implausible cross breeding efforts of a psychotic android that only took him 10 years to perfect after infecting a planet of weird space jockey hybrids. Not the way I would have written it for sure. What made the Alien so scary in the first movie was that it was so plausibly a natural species formed of natural selection. Can you imagine what planet that could have some from?

Now for me Ridley Scott re-joins a long list of directors crapping on his own and Geiger's legacy, but twice now after Prometheus, but it's at least watchable and fun in places with decent pacing compared to some other Alien sequels.

Soldato
Prometheus and Covenant are awful they make no sense what so ever. I'll treat the Dark Horse comics as cannon way before the Ridley Scott sequels. Great director but shoddy story writer. JJ Abrahams (sp?) is the same.

Associate
Prometheus and Covenant are awful they make no sense what so ever. I'll treat the Dark Horse comics as cannon way before the Ridley Scott sequels. Great director but shoddy story writer. JJ Abrahams (sp?) is the same.

Yeah I've read the Dark Horse comics too, the Aliens and Aliens vs Predator series both would have been better options by far for future movie plots.

As for how stupid Prometheus and Alien Covenant are in terms of story, An Alien could just be equivalent to a small but predatory wild cat species from another planet. A planet that formed that Alien by natural selection could have been a great basis for future movies, just by following Earth's natural history, we had all kind of huge and terrifying predators walking the land and swimming the oceans that were naturally formed. It's not implausible that an Alien-like creature could have formed via natural selection on a distant planet among other even more terrifying and much larger predators. Just like on Earth during dinosaur and other periods of history.

Or Aliens could have been equivalent to raptors with other much larger alien 'dinosaurs' existing as well. I like the Dark Horse idea that the movie series Predators spread them around planets for sport, but they ruined that concept already in one of the AvP movies.

Back
Top Bottom