Were any of you ever in the Beaver, Cubs or Scouts?

Caporegime
did beavers, don't remember much but it was probably fine playing games.

Went to cubs but it wasn't thst fun. Still lots of dodge ball and craft projects but they were looding their appeal. I did a few camping and hostel tgips but I wasn't s fan of being away from home snd sharing beds with strangers or kids that hated me.

I also remember some of the trips we would leave really late and drive for several hours and then be forced tl stay awake watching a movie. Probably done so we would all sleep in. I just remember being so tired and trying to stay up, getting no sleep because the dorms were so noisy,then being a zombie the next day.

On one trip a boy i hated fell from the top ofof the staird and smashed his head open I just remember the screaming and blood everywhere. Gave me nightmares for years

Soldato
Went to cubs for a bit as a kid, my oldest went to Beavers and is now in Cubs, they also managed to talk me in to being an assistant leader :cry: (not that we can do much at the moment :()

Don
Cubs and scouts, I loved the cubs have some great memories, scouts wasn't as much fun, I lost all my badges, arrows and basically status I felt I'd earned, so I left after a year or so :p

Soldato
Cubs - went along and the session normally consisted of running round a church hall for a bit, occasionally played French cricket in the nearby park when the weather was good. Our group never went camping or built fires or did any of the cool stuff you hear about so I got bored and stopped going after a while - saved my parents £1 a session or however much it was.

This was exactly my experience of the Cubs in the mid 1970s.

Umpteen different ways to throw, kick or whack footballs and tennis balls around for a while followed by studying for badges that could be achieved sat at a desk. Once in a blue moon, we’d troop up to the local woods to annoy the wildlife for an hour. During the summer months, the last 15 minutes was always spent picking up litter in the church grounds. I think I stuck it out for 6 months or so.

Soldato
This was exactly my experience of the Cubs in the mid 1970s.

Umpteen different ways to throw, kick or whack footballs and tennis balls around for a while followed by studying for badges that could be achieved sat at a desk. Once in a blue moon, we’d troop up to the local woods to annoy the wildlife for an hour. During the summer months, the last 15 minutes was always spent picking up litter in the church grounds. I think I stuck it out for 6 months or so.
Same

Soldato
I was in scouting up until about 21 - if I'm honest, it was mainly because there was a girl I really fancied also in scouts.

It was brilliant - my weekends were always far more interesting than my non-scouting friends.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Cubs, was great fun.

Scouts was a bit **** as we moved house and the new troop was rough as **** so stopped going.

Associate
My daughter used to go to Rainbows which is the girl equivalent of beavers I believe, really enjoyed that and then joined the brownies but left after around 6 months or so as wasn't really interested in all the formality and badge achieving.
I wonder what the % drop off is for both groups when you go up a level

Soldato
Cubs and Scouts here. Really enjoyed both and would reccomend to anyone. Spent a lot of time camping / doing out doorsy stuff and learnt loads.

Soldato
I was in the Scouts and Venture Scouts. Scouts was awesome, used to spend loads of time up on Dartmoor (lived in Plymouth at the time) but didn't enjoy Venture Scouts so much, sure there was camping and I volunteered at a few jamborees like Sherwood 98 but the focus turned to drinking more than anything else.

Caporegime
I think Cubs then Scouts. I blocked one of the portaloos and fell asleep in one of our night wide games, prompting them to start calling the police as they thought I was lost.

Great times :D.

Soldato
Cubs and Scouts here. I liked it.

It was all done in my school. I think beavers started up after I left.

I'm not sure if my school was exceptional for doing it in the school. I hope that these activities are based in school as I think it gives kids some routine in generally non-academic activities.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yup, Cubs, (Air) Scouts then Venture Scouts. Then I became a Venture Scout leader, now I'm in the Active Support Unit - we help out on camps etc. I'm also an Archery Instructor.

Air Scouts was awesome - go to go up in a Chinook, flew a Chipmunk, Bulldog and Hawk trainer. Sat in a Harrier jump jet - targeted the Group Scout Leader with the weapons system :eek: Flew in the Queens flight (Dominie HS125) - took off from Northolt - flew up to Scotland and back - I fell asleep in the big leather chair and woke up five mins before landing! Venture scouts was awesome - lots of independent camps up in the Lake District. Good activities - we did something called Rambo - it was essentially a huge 72hr game of tig across the Lake District with just a sleeping bag, bivi and checkpoints every 3 hrs except between 12am and 9am. Venture Scouts was where I learnt to drink properly ;)

As an adult I love it along with my Freemasonry. The social aspect as an adult is great. The adults all take over a local campsite one weekend in may have have a big beer festival .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom