garden tool recommendations - non powered

Soldato
Hi, I'm looking for a selection hand tools (border spade, fork, rake, trowel etc...). Any recommendations on brand? I'd like to buy all from a single and happy to pay for quality, robustness etc.

Cheers!

Man of Honour
I got a lot of my gardening tools from Lidl. Decent prices, decent quality and they are lasting well too. I got a quad set of grass shears, branch lopper, bypass secateurs and anvil secateurs for £9.99 a few years ago and they are all still going strong. I got a set including a pair of different sized garden trowels, small hand rake, hand fork and bulb planter last year also for £9.99 and they are good heavy duty tools. The small hand rake I have found especially handy for sorting out the gravel I placed on top of my raised beds for weed control. Parkside is their usual brand but you get Black and Decker stuff every now and then. Personally I prefer the Parkside tools with their three year no quibble warranty. If I remember right there is a garden week starting next week so keep a eye out if you are interested.

Associate
I like Spear and Jackson spades and forks, either the Select Stainless or Neverbend range.

You could look at the Wolf system, but that can get expensive quickly, although they do look shiney!

Associate
Burgon and Ball do some lovely tools - their 'basic' range is fabulous.

I'd heavily recommend buying a border spade. I find myself reaching for that more than any others.

Soldato
OP
Have looked at the Burgon & Ball, also kent & stowe and the spear & jackson ranges. Just trying to find everything I want in one range. I like the traditional look thoug, but will probably go Fiskars for anything cutty

Soldato
I have as Spear & Jackson shovel which is good quality (thick and quality wooden handle, thick coated metal etc) and would recommend them. But be aware, they also sell loads of rebranded junk in B&M and Home Bargains, so don't just go on the name.

Most of my other garden tools are either cheap B&Q items where they will see little use, or decades old hand me downs that will last forever!

Soldato
OP
Thanks all - I went Spear and Jackson neverbend in the end: border spade and fork, rake, dutch hoe and set of 3 hand tools. I liked the Wolf tools but I would have gone on a mental buying spree! :D

Though it seems supply is limited at the mo - so god knows when I'll get any of it...

Caporegime
Thanks all - I went Spear and Jackson neverbend in the end: border spade and fork, rake, dutch hoe and set of 3 hand tools. I liked the Wolf tools but I would have gone on a mental buying spree! :D

Though it seems supply is limited at the mo - so god knows when I'll get any of it...

They arrived yet? :D This is my issue ATM, finding stock and not waiting weeks.

Back
Top Bottom