My shed of a 1978 Ford F-150

Soldato
OP
Little bit more work done on the front end. Changed the grill surround, put a new front indicator in, and fitted some LED headlights. I kept the original ones as they look a lot more original, but these LED ones were plug and play, and work about 10000x better. A lot of the roads I drive on at night are totally unlit, and a few near misses with stray dogs (and once, a stray cow) convinced me to switch them, at least for as long as I’m driving it daily. They were only about £20 for the pair as well.

Next on the list is a new column shifter as the one I have it a bit loose and is missing the gear selector indicator. Nothing has broken in quite a while despite it being used daily, must be a Christmas miracle :p

Soldato
OP
If that isn't an excuse to get one of those billion lumen light bars on the roof I don't know what is :D

Plan is to get one of those bars to mount in the bed, behind the cab. That way I can rest whatever I'm carrying on one side without having to put it on the roof, and have an incredibly antisocial light bar on the other side :D

Soldato
OP
Another minor update.

Got the power steering pump refurbed, and two of the lines replaced, which completely solved the slight leak I had. My usual guy charged me about £55 for the lot, which is cheap even for here. I still find it amusing how it’s a big old truck, but the steering is as light as the Micra I learned to drive in. Allows you to do some precision parking when necessary :p

LR7UJ3Fz.jpg

This old van donated a shifter and steering wheel - gave them £20 for the entire assembly as we couldn’t be bothered taking it apart. Will have to eventually though as the van column isn’t the right length for the truck.

Other than that, I’ve just kept using it for truck things. I put close to a ton in the back of it, which highlighted that the new tyres do rub slightly under heavy loads. I think a slight lift will be happening soon, nothing ridiculous though.

The only slight fly in the ointment is that I somehow lost one of the chrome mouldings yesterday. Very annoying as I didn’t hear it fly off, and they’re quite expensive to replace. I’m going to take all the rest off later today in case it happens again - I’ll put them back on with better fixings once it’s painted.

Man of Honour
I still find it amusing how it’s a big old truck, but the steering is as light as the Micra I learned to drive in.

Surprised on a truck like that - but a lot of pickups like the newer F150s and the Navaras, etc. have very light steering - I always get surprised when I drive one that doesn't - usually the full time 4x4 trucks rather than these pickups which are selectable and not designed for permanent 4WD.

Soldato
OP
Did a few more jobs on the truck in the last couple of weeks.

I drove it to work a while back, and on the way there, it drove absolutely fine. On the way back however, the transmission started slipping horribly in 1st and 2nd, and made a horrible sound in reverse. I assumed it needed rebuilding (not the end of the world as it's a very simple transmission to work on), but the guy I took it to just changed the fluid and some seals and it seems fine now. I wouldn't be surprised if it will need rebuilding at some point though, the sound it made in reverse was one of the worst sounds I've ever heard come from a car in my life.

As I mentioned in my last update, the thicker tyres were causing it to rub when I put a lot of weight in the back, so I took it to a friend's suspension shop to get the back lifted slightly. He added stronger leaves (is that what you call them?) to the rear leaf springs, which gave it a slight lift, but nothing too ridiculous. Luckily, it doesn't look hugely out of proportion to the front of the truck like some of the ones I see do.

I decided to test the newly serviced transmission and new suspension by putting quite a lot of weight in the back of it. All this old wood is going to be used for the garden on the upper part of our land, and it's heavy to say the least.

The truck hauled it just under 100 miles with absolutely no problems, including over some very rutted dirt roads. I think my back suffered a lot more than the F150 did!

We also changed the steering wheel and shifter, my old wheel was held together with electrical tape, and the old shifter was incredibly loose, and had a sharp nail sticking out of it, which wouldn't have been much fun in the event of a crash. These are a big improvement.

I'd still like to get the original shift indicator for it, but that's a job for another day. Yesterday, I drove past one of the many government impound lots we have here and there were at least 10 of these trucks, all with complete chrome trim, and I'm sure I could have found at least one shift indicator there too. Sadly they don't let you take parts from them, even though they've been sitting there for 20+ years and will never be claimed. There's all sorts of classics - Beetles, VW Vans, 50s / 60s Chevy and Ford trucks, and even a couple of buses from the late 40s / early 50s. It's a shame they they're all left to rot.

Update - wise, that's about it really. We changed the engine oil and filters, and tightened a belt that was squealing on startup - perhaps it's a placebo, but it seems to run better now. Still very much enjoying my time with it.

Soldato
OP
Good to see a truck being used right :cool:

Well I certainly didn’t buy it for the comfort :p

This was 70m2 of grass which the forklift driver insisted would definitely be fine in one trip, despite quite a lot of it being wet. It wasn’t very far and I made it with no issues, but let’s just say I’m glad VOSA isn’t a thing here. :D

52319-AC9-1-FDF-4158-B373-B33498-AC319-F.jpg

Also picked up these palm trees lately which were a lot lighter. I’d removed some of the cords before taking this photo so it looks worse than it was.

D9-DE21-B6-CEB3-4-A31-AEF8-83401-CEE87-B1.jpg

Everything survived too, which is always nice

E52-D528-A-FB34-4642-BAD9-248721-E61-AEB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom