• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The NOT Buying a Graphics Card Thread!!!

Permabanned
I have completely given up now, probably until next year. I refuse to pay insane prices and spend half my life trying to get a new card, so I have decided to buy two new french doors for the house instead. Well, they cost a little more than a graphics card but at least they are easier to find!

Just wondering if anyone else has given up now and decided to spend the money on something else?

Soldato
I have completely given up now, probably until next year. I refuse to pay insane prices and spend half my life trying to get a new card, so I have decided to buy two new french doors for the house instead. Well, they cost a little more than a graphics card but at least they are easier to find!

Just wondering if anyone else has given up now and decided to spend the money on something else?

I had given up. The OCUK decided to sell cards basically at a real msrp price. So I bought one.

Associate
I had to cancel a 5600x order I had on order as I'm struggling to get a card and wasn't sure how long it would take to get one, looks to be getting worse if anything.

Associate
One of the problems at the moment is most retailers are still selling out quick even at the new prices. So if you are willing to pay current prices its still a difficult task getting hold of one unless you are using loads of alerts , glued to computer and keep trying. Only way to easily get one is paying way over the top without any warranty cover from the scalpers.
My advice would be to follow the forums here and keep an eye out for Gibbos special if you are an old member. Also they are currently working on a new sub forum for older members without the 1k post count, so keep at it if you still need a card.

Saying that if I had something better to spend the money on I would, instead of buying a GPU right now!

Associate
I'd wait unless if one of your GPUs is dead to be honest.

That's what I was going to do back in 2018 until my HD7950 bit the dust after sag warped the board and disconnected some of the pins and was forced to look for ANY viable card available at the time (there were none, much like now), which lead me to my current RX580 which was on offer at the time here (still over £300 though). Given that current gen cards are also power hogs, it might be better to wait and see if there are any power savings in the next gen where you don't need to change PSU as well (which is also undergoing a shortage right now). That's all prices (inflated) that could grab you something more down the line when it settles down.

Associate

Pretty much the same. Winter is my prime gaming season anyway, so I'm eyeing up a pair of new bike wheels. Considerably cheaper than a decent card and better for my health.

Permabanned
OP
A question then,

Are you not buying because they are above MSRP full stop, or did you have a limit of say £2/3/400 over RRP that was acceptable but have just never been able to get one?

I refuse to get carried away and spend "any amount" on a card. I honestly think people are mad paying say £400 over the top for a card that will be out of date in a year or two anyway. Especially when you consider just how much £1000 is and what else you could buy for that money.

Are you running your French doors in SLI or Crossfire?

Sli. :)

Soldato
point blank refuse to pay scalpers, or even inflated so called msrp's, my vega 64 will do untill it becomes more sensible, if not then maybe forced to go down console route

Soldato
Giving up what exactly? If you mean subscribing to discord and pouncing on every drop, adding to basket, oops too late - week in, week out, for months on end; I never started doing that in the first place.

That's obsessive behaviour and very unhealthy in my opinion.

I really do want a new GPU so I'll buy one when they're in plentyfull supply. That way I can pick and choose which to go for and the prices will be more realistic. Whether that's 6 months, or two years, I'm not going to give up getting a GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Problem for me is I skipped the gtx1080 and the rtx2080 so pretty desperate to upgrade as its been 5 years since treated myself to a new card (gtx980ti). Even more desperate is the need to upgrade the main system as been on sandy 2500k for like 10 years (and that was a side grade from a i7 920) and im still on win 7. Mobo, memory, psu...everything like a decade old.

I still have no trouble with games so I really want to hit that point where I'm like "I don't care, I don't need it, I'll wait for next things to land". The problem is I'm desperate to buy something new and I'm worried how long til the new cards arrive and also if we just have the same miner/scalper issue again.

I could just get a prebuild from elsewhere which helps minimise the gpu shafting/no stock. I'd happily get one here but the one I was looking at jumped up pretty much £200 in a 24 hour period, it was already expensive before. OCUK just too dear compared to other places.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom