Recommendations for purchasing picture frames

Associate
Hi All,

I have been amassing a few prints which I want to frame and wondered where people recommend?

Purchased Ikea frames in the past, whilst okay for some prints, very flimsy. Three out of five were smashed when I last ordered online due to Covid; so looking at alternatives.

What are the best online stores when it comes to cost versus quality?

Caporegime
I've used both IKEA and custom made frames and I'd say go with IKEA.

IKEA sell a large range of frames and some are cheap and some are a lot better.

However it's hard to fit in certain obscure sizes of prints and the custom frames I had made albeit brilliant quality were a lot more expensive than the prints which were already expensive.

IKEA just works well. I don't know what I'm going to do with the really obscure sizes that IKEA don't do as custom frames are hugely expensive but tbh don't look that much better for the added quality. I'm hoping IKEA expands their range.

Associate
I was looking into this recently for a 24" x 18" print I want framed and people had generally said to get it professionally mounted.
This one though is an expensive (to me anyway!) limited edition print so want it looking the mutts nuts!
If it was a photo I was printing to stick up I would probably get one online and do myself.

Soldato
Some of the frames at the range are actually pretty nice (the chunky ones), all MDF though a solid wood frame costs a lot more.

Soldato
I've used this place before https://www.frames.co.uk I had a custom print done 1800 mm wide x 600 mm high and when i got the frame the guys came back saying it needed to be a bit beefier so it wouldn't snap under its own weight! Good service if you need something custom and they supply standard sized stuff as well.

Permabanned
In passing ( perhaps not really relevant to you ) I have taken up making frames for canvas prints. I love BIG, so I usually have prints knocked out at with the main dimension over three feet. Canvas is the only economical way to frame something that size. Just a thought that after you have finished framing those prints, next time have a go at a canvas. After a bit of practice I can have a four foot by three picture printed and framed for less than £100.

Back
Top Bottom