• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The NOT Buying a Graphics Card Thread!!!

Associate
Similar here - had to pay well over the odds and got lucky in the 3d printer section when some were being posted in there. Got a load back by selling my Vega64 for £400 (no doubt to a miner). Just seem the same Vega card I had go for £600. It seems to be getting worse!

That's what i sold mine for. Sold it on Facebook. Guy with a small mining farm came round and paid cash.

Soldato
After a few failed attempts at getting a 3080 FE I've left the discord servers and sacked it off. Summer is coming, splurged a load of money on the house instead.

Maybe autumn/winter when it starts to get dark again I'll see what's around.

Associate
I really wanted the 3080 FE at the announced price, looks an performance, but no chance. I count myself lucky that I built my current rig, 2070 that's seemingly not lost any value yet, right at the end of 2019 start of 2020. I still want a 3080FE but even if they suddenly had stock to spare I'd probably wait till Autumn/Winter now as gaming during the heat of Summer just isn't something I fancy after these last 2 days of sunshine reminding me how warm the house gets.
Maybe we get lucky and AMD make an absolute beast of a next gen card after they did such a good job with their first proper dive into ray tracing and it's affordable?

Associate
ill stick with my vega 64 till the next round .. should be loads about after the mining crash :p

Has to be one impressive discount, since we've all heard the stories where the card goes belly up soon after and because no purchase receipt, means no RMA. That's why I was holding out for retail only (or planned to at least). But if you luck out (and most should be fine, but my luck on buying second hand stuff is poor, so thats why I avoid) then it should be a steal (then, when it finally happens). But at that point, retail or second hand would be good. Just go with whats best for you. :)

Man of Honour
A question then,

Are you not buying because they are above MSRP full stop, or did you have a limit of say £2/3/400 over RRP that was acceptable but have just never been able to get one?
I'm not buying until they are sub-MSRP and/or faster cards come out. I like the idea of a 3080 but £649 is too much.

Associate
I'm sitting it out too. It's not just the graphics card that's the problem, as I was going to get a whole new system to support VR. I'm resigned to waiting until 2022 for that to happen.

Associate
770 still working here... I haven't stopped looking from time to time, but one could say I gave up really. I'm not gonna waste my time anymore when I haven't been able to buy a card in nearly 6 months. ****** me off a little bit if I'm honest, when I can see plenty of people selling locally all models of Nvidia 3000 series for a profit... taking advantage of a good shortage to make a profit denying the opportunity of buying to customers is something I really can't understand. If by the time I'm able to upgrade it doesn't make sense anymore because the rest of my PC needs upgrading as well, I'll seriously reconsider not upgrading at all.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had been considering a 3080 to drive a HP G2. Have put both on hold and spent the cash adding in additional HOTAS and flight control bits.

koh

koh

Associate
I too was looking at 3080 to repace my 980Ti. Instead got 2nd hand RTX2080 for £330, a Switch plus couple games & an Occulus Q2. Think that lot is more bang for my buck until GPU prices become reasonable. If don't I'll go 2nd hand again or not bother.

MrC

MrC

Associate
Man I feel old, I remember when £100 bought you a half decent card and £200 - £250 bought you a top of the range card.

I guess I'm waiting until I can get a 3070 for close to RRP without having to fight scalpers (two days after never at this rate)

Soldato
Man I feel old, I remember when £100 bought you a half decent card and £200 - £250 bought you a top of the range card.

I guess I'm waiting until I can get a 3070 for close to RRP without having to fight scalpers (two days after never at this rate)

Yeah well guess what, 20 years ago house prices were a 5th of what they are now too. Something something inflation?

Associate
Not buying one because of the stupid prices scalpers charge and have caused. No point buying from them seeing as you won't get any support if its faulty either. Saw an article today about the teen scalpers and they know people hate them, but see nothing wrong with it. We need their bots to buy our card for us!

Associate
I'm not buying until they are sub-MSRP and/or faster cards come out. I like the idea of a 3080 but £649 is too much.

£649 for a 3080 is good value. The problem is the they are selling at around £1k if you can get stock.

higher if you pay scalper prices.

unless you get very lucky with a FE drop. The performance / Cost calculation is just not worth it.

Associate
My vega64 still going strong. I find it hard to believe there is such a market for gfx cards when my 3 year old card is still happily running everything on high at 1440p. What games are you all planning to play with these modern monsters or is it just running older games at unholy resolutions?

Soldato
My vega64 still going strong. I find it hard to believe there is such a market for gfx cards when my 3 year old card is still happily running everything on high at 1440p. What games are you all planning to play with these modern monsters or is it just running older games at unholy resolutions?

What really made the push for me, from the 1070ti, was getting a vr headset. Not doing too much in it, but that was partially because I just didn't think much would run smoothly, now I plan on trying Squadrons out soon, and a 1070ti would have really struggled, whereas anything else will just struggle...

Back
Top Bottom