*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
It gets boring because none of the mechanics have seen anything like the detail and attention they need, great potential utterly wasted and resources spent in entirely the wrong direction in my opinion, sadly I suspect that income rather than staying true to the original ethos has become the number one factor in further development for elite so they are trying to grab a slice of the fps market. I'm completely unenthused about what elite has become these days and the more I see of what is coming the less I feel it appeals to me, they keep saying there will be exploration and other stuff to do but so far everything shown has been combat based and judging by FD's previous example we all know where that is going to lead...
I agree however i think it will succeed with what our vision is but over time. Just for the record im a Kickstarter Alpha backer from 2012 so i know all about what was supposed to be implemented into the game from the DDF part of the forum.

Soldato
Likewise I'd appreciate a discord invite as it would be good to have a few teammates to travel with!

I'm also 42 if that meets the age of admission requirements :)

Last edited:
Soldato
But it is that bad, the thought processes behind it are clearly delusional and have no clear concept of what they were trying to do, it's an utter mess and they are now left with a choice to either remove or drastically reduce taxi times to appeal to the FPS crowd they're trying to pull in which will annoy many current players and break the game lore as it stands or leave it as is which is going to do absolutely nothing to make it appealing to anybody outside of the core players that already exist, they've simply made a rod for their own backs, and that, is just the tip of the iceberg lol.

Soldato
i don't think they are aiming for the COD crowd with the FPS part, If they are then they is going to have to be the instant match making battle games and lets be frank they cant compete there, maybe thats what frontline solutions will be, guess we will see. I think they are aiming for the "more immersion" for the base game, right now it looks like a long painful grind but hard to say with only taxis and the current mission board.

I agree though i cant see the appeal for people who aren't already very into elite.

Soldato
meh its instance based :(

Everytime i see ED and everyone craving there pants over it, i quickly learn its a very flat instance based low fidelity game that gives u the impression that its huge when really everything is procedurual generated copy and paste :(

i really want to like this game but i cant.

No mans sky is leaps and bounds way ahead of this

Associate

Everytime i see ED and everyone craving there pants over it, i quickly learn its a very flat instance based low fidelity game that gives u the impression that its huge when really everything is procedurual generated copy and paste :(

Haven't seen anyone creaming anything over Elite for some time now :D

Comparing it to NMS seems a bit nonsensical however. They share so little apart from the fact you have a spaceship. In NMS you are basically God, or at least the centre of the narrative- you craft your own environment and make everything happen. In Elite you are intentionally an insignifcant speck trying to scrape a living in the middle of a vast, sparse and realistically empty Galaxy.

As an immersive showcase for VR, Elite trumps NMS in every respect. As a randomised sandbox you can pick up and have things happen in short play sessions, NMW wins. (I like both, but they are chalk and cheese). The scale of Elite in VR still takes my breath away occasionally, even after playing for years. NMS is very busy, and for me feels often very claustrophobic in comparison.

On the subject of Odyssey, I have no interest in FPS style combat. The ability to explore a station and have a grounded presence outside your spacecraft does appeal however- It's one of the facets of Star Citizen that attracts me (never played it mind).

Soldato
Haven't seen anyone creaming anything over Elite for some time now :D

Comparing it to NMS seems a bit nonsensical however. They share so little apart from the fact you have a spaceship. In NMS you are basically God, or at least the centre of the narrative- you craft your own environment and make everything happen. In Elite you are intentionally an insignifcant speck trying to scrape a living in the middle of a vast, sparse and realistically empty Galaxy.

As an immersive showcase for VR, Elite trumps NMS in every respect. As a randomised sandbox you can pick up and have things happen in short play sessions, NMW wins. (I like both, but they are chalk and cheese). The scale of Elite in VR still takes my breath away occasionally, even after playing for years. NMS is very busy, and for me feels often very claustrophobic in comparison.

On the subject of Odyssey, I have no interest in FPS style combat. The ability to explore a station and have a grounded presence outside your spacecraft does appeal however- It's one of the facets of Star Citizen that attracts me (never played it mind).

I have not interest in VR but people have said once you come out of your ship, VR doesnt work on ED.

It jus feels there is more to do in NMS then here and with no loading screen/instances etc.

Planets are way more "living" and dynamic compared to ED.

Odysee looks like a add on game mode where it loads a seperate instance where you can do some fps combat and detaches you from the main game.

Soldato
ED is a 'feelings' game, what you feel and identify with whilst playing is how it draws you in.
Unfortunately the devs cant rely on the game being about feelings anymore and need new players, its just the features they are adding to bring them in are very badly thought out/don't gel well with the core game experience.

Soldato
I have not interest in VR but people have said once you come out of your ship, VR doesnt work on ED.

It jus feels there is more to do in NMS then here and with no loading screen/instances etc.

Planets are way more "living" and dynamic compared to ED.

Odysee looks like a add on game mode where it loads a seperate instance where you can do some fps combat and detaches you from the main game.

NMS has the same instancing for star systems as elite does along with an almost identical loading screen between them, planets are way more living because Elite still only has airless planets and moons of a very specific range, they're certainly no more dynamic when you actually get down to the technicalities of it all and in fact Elite's planets are far far more realistic, as for odyssey being separate instance from the main game, that is simply not true from what we have seen and is one of the biggest issues that is starting to show right now in the alpha.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
NMS and ED have one thing in common, spaceships

Minecraft has more to do than NMS that is the comparison you are making.

Soldato
Soldato

ED is far from perfect and there are things FD should definitely take from NMS imo to vastly improve the game.... However it was always going to be instance based and that is never going to change. Whilst I enjoy tooling around with mates for me the MP of ED was always a nice to have for those who want it but was never a core feature of the game.

Not saying your wrong at all just that it sounds to me like ED is never going to be the game you want it to be.

Mind you it is probably not going to reach its Potential from my perspective either.

I think the biggest issue with ED is that FD are masters of selling a vision. Not quite so good at implementing it. What is there is decent imo it's just that if you listen to their marketing and development diaries etc it isn't the game they are making imo.

VR sums it up perfectly. Marketed as made from the ground up for VR.... And ED:O was possibly going to have no VR at all in it. Only a huge backlash managed to keep parts in VR but the simple fact ED:O was started without considering VR from the start is hardly built from the ground up for VR.

More like, bolted on VR because it is easy allowing us to piggyback on the hyptrain.

Sometimes I think FD don't know what a gem they have when it comes to that part of the game tbh.
The fact that they nearly implemented ship transfer fast travel (and it could still happen) shows how out of touch they are with the original pitch imo.

Associate
Just watched a view videos of Odyssey and was reminded of how similar it is to X4: Foundations (having just got back into that after a big 4.0 patch). The lifeless looking NPCs with blue icons above their heads.

Soldato
Played a bit of the alpha last night. I like the visuals and walking about stations and settlements feels like it could add a nice but of variety to the game.

I knew the performance of the Alpha wouldn't be optimised but it's really bad. Even dropping the quality to medium in still struggling to get much more than around 20fps at 1440p on my geforce 980.

The regular game ran fine on ultra without issue! Hopefully they'll make some sizeable improvements before release.

Back
Top Bottom