Jury Service (Do NOT turn this into a 'how to get out of jury service' thread)

Associate
Got the letter ~6 months ago, then a week before the date they told me I wasn't needed. God bless the pandemic? Hoping this gives me less liklihood of being picked again.

Soldato
Same way others do at work who can't work from home. Locking people up for horrible crimes can't keep getting delayed. They'll surely have precautions in place, so i wouldn't worry.

Just cross your fingers you don't get a mind breaking case. When i did jury a few years ago the judge said after we wouldn't have to do it ever again as it was quite horrible. That or at least 10yrs, can't quite remember, my brain was broke after those weeks.

Yep, people are still working with appropriate precautions.

Jury service is a duty you should absolutely do if called if you believe we have a 'Great Britain'.

It can be horrible and disturbing, but someone has to do it according to our laws, so do it.

Caporegime
But if you get multiple people picked multiple times there is something wrong with the algorithm (or more likely, it's not actually random) because the chances are so tiny :p

Actually clumping (as it is called) is an inevitable part of truly random processes. If people weren't getting called multiple times that would be evidence it is not random.

I never got called, and since Germany - like most of Europe - doesn't have trial-by-Jury I guess I never will be. I always thought it'd be an interesting experience but you hear some real horror stories too.

Man of Honour
I've been called up for jury service in June, not happy about it at all, especially if I'm at a financial loss.

If you earn anything like a reasonable living, it won’t be IF you’ll be at a loss, you definitely WILL be at a financial loss.
I produced a letter from my accountant, certifying my declared per diem as a London Black Cab driver, the clerks in the court office practically fell about laughing, they wheezed, “Good luck with that!”

Caporegime
If you earn anything like a reasonable living, it won’t be IF you’ll be at a loss, you definitely WILL be at a financial loss.
I produced a letter from my accountant, certifying my declared per diem as a London Black Cab driver, the clerks in the court office practically fell about laughing, they wheezed, “Good luck with that!”

It's always struck me that this is a steaming pile. It's surely unreasonable to expect people to take such a hit to their income. A cap seems okay, but surely most people should expect to get their income maintained. Or alternatively I guess you could just mandate employers to pay people on jury service.

Soldato
Be lucky it is one of the few bits of societal contributions you need to make. Some European countries mandate a year of national service :p

Soldato
How do they perform selection roughly? I mean... there must be some basic criteria other than over 18? What if you have previous conviction/arrest/ccj? What if you are in massive debt? What if you are a celebrity?

Soldato
Just found out that they require us to take photo ID, well that's me buggered then. I'll attend on the date I'm supposed to, but can't see me being allowed to continue.

Man of Honour
they pay up to £64 per day loss of earnings, anything more and its tough luck.

Ouch - any half reasonable job will be double that :s

EDIT: Looks like my employer will make up the difference to an extent. Otherwise that would be a significant loss on something like a 12 week trial, etc. even 10 days would be pretty impactful.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, it expired a week or so into lockdown and was then stolen not longer after. But due to lockdown travel restrictions and the chaos surrounding having to move back in with my parents to care for my old man I never gave getting a replacement a second thought.

Jury service

If you do not have identification, you can bring any 2 documents from the following:
  • your birth certificate
  • your credit card with 3 statements and proof of signature
  • your cheque book and bank card with 3 statements and proof of signature
  • 3 utility bills showing your name and address

Soldato
Not advocating avoidance of societal duties but when I did it, some poor chap had been told by his work that if he was not selected he had to go to work so he attended court in a suit. Every time he was selected he was challenged by the defense lawyers and rejected. Fourth day he turned up in jeans and immediately got on a case.

Back
Top Bottom