Need desperate help

Associate
Im new to this and i really need some help and advice please
I play warzone and made my own pc, whenever i play it uses 100% of my cpu and crashes a lot even though i feel i have a decent cpu (i5-9400F) even when i am playing on low settings
My graphics card is utilised around 30%
I dont know what to do and if i am doing anything wrong
My full specs:
Cpu: i5 9400F
Gpu: rtx 3070
Mobo: msi b365m pro-vh
Ram:2x8gb corsair vengeance
Psu: seasonic focus 750w 80+gold

Associate
1) Check the CPU cooler, if its stock, replace it with an aftermarket cooler. Check CPU temps. A cooler like this may help. And a decent thermal paste too. I use Hardware monitor to check temps. If above 80-90 degrees, you have problems! CPU will throttle and perhaps crash.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £49.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

2) Recently, I had issues with RAM causing my games to crash. I used Memtest86 to identify the RAM as faulty, suggest you run the test. If it fails RMA RAM. It caused random crashes when I had the same make of faulty RAM. Corsair what has happened to your quality control!

MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool

3) You have not mentioned the RAM speed, is it running with XMP profile with the correct voltage? if above memory errors occur perhaps up the voltage on the RAM check if running at 1.35 volts.

4) Check the GPU for faults, suggest using Furmark to see if onboard memory is faulty. You will be able to run a burn in test with it as well.

FurMark > Home (geeks3d.com)

5) Update the BIOS on your motherboard, this may help with memory and stability issues.

6) Check fan profiles in BIOS, Warzone is a demanding game, suggest you check your fan profiles and increase fan speeds of case fans and CPU fan.

7) If these fail to resolve issue, try a spare power supply and see if you crash still.

8) Also check if the PSU cables are firmly plugged in to CPU socket, 24 pin, and GPU power sockets firmly. System may crash due to lack of juice. That happened to me to with a Corsair RMX 750 watts....Corsair QC...

9) If crashes still proceed replace the graphics card and test another in system. And also check it with MSI Afterburner.

However, my concerns are. You have not mentioned case, number of cooling fans and what CPU cooler you are using. Which is why I suggested the first step. Did you use the stock Intel and thermal paste? You also have to eliminate each part and see where the fault lies.

Associate
Its worth saying that turning the graphics settings down puts more pressure on the CPU not less. So assuming that the temperature is under control try turning the settings all the way up to try and even out the bottle neck a bit.

Associate
Im new to this and i really need some help and advice please
I play warzone and made my own pc, whenever i play it uses 100% of my cpu and crashes a lot even though i feel i have a decent cpu (i5-9400F) even when i am playing on low settings
My graphics card is utilised around 30%
I dont know what to do and if i am doing anything wrong
My full specs:
Cpu: i5 9400F
Gpu: rtx 3070
Mobo: msi b365m pro-vh
Ram:2x8gb corsair vengeance
Psu: seasonic focus 750w 80+gold
Wait wait. Before we make too many assumptions, what kind of crash do you get, what is the sequence of events?

Associate
OP
The temps are okay, its not going over 70 degrees

Wait wait. Before we make too many assumptions, what kind of crash do you get, what is the sequence of events?
so it stutters then the CPU time at the top turns red and goes to 999ms then back down to normal in a second or two

Its worth saying that turning the graphics settings down puts more pressure on the CPU not less. So assuming that the temperature is under control try turning the settings all the way up to try and even out the bottle neck a bit.
I tried with Ultra settings this morning and its the same thing 100% cpu use and low gpu use

1) Check the CPU cooler, if its stock, replace it with an aftermarket cooler. Check CPU temps. A cooler like this may help. And a decent thermal paste too. I use Hardware monitor to check temps. If above 80-90 degrees, you have problems! CPU will throttle and perhaps crash.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £49.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

2) Recently, I had issues with RAM causing my games to crash. I used Memtest86 to identify the RAM as faulty, suggest you run the test. If it fails RMA RAM. It caused random crashes when I had the same make of faulty RAM. Corsair what has happened to your quality control!

MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool

3) You have not mentioned the RAM speed, is it running with XMP profile with the correct voltage? if above memory errors occur perhaps up the voltage on the RAM check if running at 1.35 volts.

4) Check the GPU for faults, suggest using Furmark to see if onboard memory is faulty. You will be able to run a burn in test with it as well.

FurMark > Home (geeks3d.com)

5) Update the BIOS on your motherboard, this may help with memory and stability issues.

6) Check fan profiles in BIOS, Warzone is a demanding game, suggest you check your fan profiles and increase fan speeds of case fans and CPU fan.

7) If these fail to resolve issue, try a spare power supply and see if you crash still.

8) Also check if the PSU cables are firmly plugged in to CPU socket, 24 pin, and GPU power sockets firmly. System may crash due to lack of juice. That happened to me to with a Corsair RMX 750 watts....Corsair QC...

9) If crashes still proceed replace the graphics card and test another in system. And also check it with MSI Afterburner.

However, my concerns are. You have not mentioned case, number of cooling fans and what CPU cooler you are using. Which is why I suggested the first step. Did you use the stock Intel and thermal paste? You also have to eliminate each part and see where the fault lies.
The temperatures are fine i just feel that the cpu bottlenecks my computer too much to the point i need an upgraded cpu

Also XMP is on, not sure about voltage and PSU is brand new and good quality so im not sure that is the case

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
so it stutters then the CPU time at the top turns red and goes to 999ms then back down to normal in a second or two

That is unusual; a hex core should be able to handle COD. What sort of FPS do you get in game? Also would you mind running CPU-Z to see what clock speeds you’re getting when the CPU is running?

Soldato
Try turning every graphics setting to max although ultimately a CPU like a 9900 non K will be a something to consider going forward if you just want a drop in upgrade.

Associate
OP
That is unusual; a hex core should be able to handle COD. What sort of FPS do you get in game? Also would you mind running CPU-Z to see what clock speeds you’re getting when the CPU is running?
k6VAJ6Q

I'm new to this but ive just taken these pics if this helps

https://imgur.com/a/k6VAJ6Q

Are you playing at 1920 X 1080p resolution?
yes i am

Try turning every graphics setting to max although ultimately a CPU like a 9900 non K will be a something to consider going forward if you just want a drop in upgrade.
I have tried this and the same thing happens

I mentioned further steps.
sorry i got busy while replying,
I use a stock intel cooler, i havent had any issues with temps and was told it would be good enough since i wont be overclocking
I updated my bios, it hasnt made a difference
Im not sure about setting the voltage of the RAM
Also I am not sure how to run the memtest
PSU cables are in properly and even when I had a different PSU before i upgraded my graphics card it was still the same
Again even with my old graphics card it was the same issue, i assumed my graphics card was bottlenecking since i only had a 5500xt 4gb

also i just tried running the game with all fans highest speed and it is still the same thing
-Case is Lian Li 011 Dynamic- 3 side intake, 3 top exhaust, corsair ll120 rgb fans

Also thank you guys for helping, I was not expecting a response and I am very new to this, explaining why my replies are all over the place. But I am grateful for you taking the time to try and help.
I am considering upgrading my CPU and motherboard to ryzen 5 5600x with asus rog strix b450 gaming ii

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Sorry I got a call while I was replying.
The game engine for warzone likes more cores and faster chips. Although good in many games your 9400f is bottlenecking, hence the 100% usage at times.
Compare the cpu usage on the 9400f https://youtu.be/j4BdEo2wAYA?t=181, with the Ryzen 5600x https://youtu.be/llhLtwrRygs?t=258

As Joxeon says above turning settings up will help to transfer some of the load from the cpu to the gpu. You can also try disabling xmp to see if that reduces the crashes.
If that doesn't work and you still crash or aren't happy with the fps as said above you could drop in a 9900.
Otherwise a new motherboard and lastest gen cpu like the 5800x I am afraid https://youtu.be/mb3Ql-Z-VPw?t=369

Associate
OP
Sorry I got a call while I was replying.
The game engine for warzone likes more cores and faster chips. Although good in many games your 9400f is bottlenecking, hence the 100% usage at times.
Compare the cpu usage on the 9400f https://youtu.be/j4BdEo2wAYA?t=181, with the Ryzen 5600x https://youtu.be/llhLtwrRygs?t=258

As Joxeon says above turning settings up will help to transfer some of the load from the cpu to the gpu. You can also try disabling xmp to see if that reduces the crashes.
If that doesn't work and you still crash or aren't happy with the fps as said above you could drop in a 9900.
Otherwise a new motherboard and lastest gen cpu like the 5800x I am afraid https://youtu.be/mb3Ql-Z-VPw?t=369
No worries, and yeah the usage on that video is in the 90s, perhaps me having a second monitor takes it up to 100%, and i am considering the 5600x, fingers crossed the issues will iron out, really appreciate the help. I can see why people boast about how good the PC community is.

Associate
Im assuming you dont have any other guff running on in the background - chrome, apps, Antivirus etc etc?

Would be good to have a look at task manager while you are running the game to see if there is something else vying for th elimited CPU resources. 6 Threads will quite quickly get overwhelmed in online games like COD / BF

Associate
Exact same things happen :/

Run Memtest. Follow the instructions. You have stated that this has not been tested.

All you need is a USB, install Memtest and run it after BIOS and boot from it.....

RAM OK, it will pass, RAM faulty, FAIL. Fail RMA RAM. Pass move on to next part. Memtest86 is quite easy to use.

The 9400F CPU is only a few years old...That must be a poorly optimised PC game to crash PC. And also check CPU cooler/or replace CPU cooler to see if properly fixed to CPU heatsink...with thermal paste freshly done preferably.

Soldato
No worries, and yeah the usage on that video is in the 90s, perhaps me having a second monitor takes it up to 100%, and i am considering the 5600x, fingers crossed the issues will iron out, really appreciate the help. I can see why people boast about how good the PC community is.

Maybe check out the new 11600k which performs around the same as a 5600X while being quite a bit cheaper.

Associate
Maybe check out the new 11600k which performs around the same as a 5600X while being quite a bit cheaper.
11th gen would require a new motherboard. If you do decide that a CPU upgrade is the answer then a 9900kf might be a better option. Can be found for not much more, has 2 more cores and 4 more threads and wouldn't need you to buy a new motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom