• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
BBC interviewed couple of scalpers, which is good as it brings this sour practice to the eyes of the lawmakers.

Got to admire the king kong sized balls on those *********. To go on the BBC to brag about how much they are making profiteering in a ** no disguised swearing please ** pandemic when some politicians are calling for it to be made illegal. **** me.

Do they not even know how hated they are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
Got to admire the king kong sized balls on those *********. To go on the BBC to brag about how much they are making profiteering in a ******* pandemic when some politicians are calling for it to be made illegal. **** me.

Do they not even know how hated they are?
WTF why would anyone agree to this, furthermore be fully named with a picture of their mug on BBC?

Last edited by a moderator:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Because you are too lazy to provide a link... Scalping: The teens making thousands selling consoles online - BBC News :p

"Jake says he doesn't know how much money he's made from scalping - but the numbers are big.

"I honestly don't keep track. Maybe £10,000 since November," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat."

10k in 5 months doesn't really seem like a lot, more like "casual scalper" status. However, you have to be an idiot to go public with this stuff... if you're going to do it then ffs keep it as quiet as possible.

10k profit in 5 months is a lot of money! It's more than I pick up in 5 months working! (although not proper full time, 28 hours a week)

Soldato
It's not illegal, so I don't really see the problem. If suckers are gonna pay for them - then more fool them. A console is NOT essential. Nor is a high end GPU.

It's no different to De Beers holding on to the world supply of diamonds to make them rare, which results in jacking up the price. Or Elon Musk announcing Tesla has invested and will accept Bitcoin, which has the same result.

Caporegime
But you wouldn't have needed to work if you can keep that up. 2k a month is a lot. Vast majority of people don't pick up anywhere near 2k a month!
2k a month is objectively not "a lot", it's a below average salary at 24k before tax. The average annual salary in the UK is 29k so anyone who earns "way" less than that is clearly not earning a lot of money... certainly not enough to "give up working" your regular job unless your living costs are negligible.

However as a side project to earn extra money on top of a regular job then 10k is certainly nothing to sniff at.

Soldato
2k a month is objectively not "a lot", it's a below average salary at 24k before tax. The average annual salary in the UK is 29k so anyone who earns "way" less than that is clearly not earning a lot of money... certainly not enough to "give up working" your regular job unless your living costs are negligible.

However as a side project to earn extra money on top of a regular job then 10k is certainly nothing to sniff at.
I'd imagen that most of these people have not set up companies and paid tax so it might come back to bite them when the IRS catches up with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not illegal, so I don't really see the problem. If suckers are gonna pay for them - then more fool them. A console is NOT essential. Nor is a high end GPU.

It's no different to De Beers holding on to the world supply of diamonds to make them rare, which results in jacking up the price. Or Elon Musk announcing Tesla has invested and will accept Bitcoin, which has the same result.
It is the consequence of your average consumer unable to acquire anything that is the problem. Couldn't care less about idiots paying through the nose for anything, hope something happens to stop it.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I know its below "average" but isn't the average just the mid point between highest and lowest? It doesn't represent what the vast majority of the uk population earn. I'd hazard a guess there are far more people earning less than 24k than there are above that in absolute numbers.

Associate
I know its below "average" but isn't the average just the mid point between highest and lowest? It doesn't represent what the vast majority of the uk population earn. I'd hazard a guess there are far more people earning less than 24k than there are above that in absolute numbers.
You are probably right, the Government likes to use the average to make it sound better then it is!
I mean as a rough example just look at retail shop floor staff for instance, you will probably need 4-5 to equate to what someone in mid management is earning. However the average will be a lot higher for those 5-6 earners compared to the shop floor workers salary.

Soldato

For big swaths of the country 2k a month is huge money, not to mention I expect no one is declaring the income to the HMRC.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
You are probably right, the Government likes to use the average to make it sound better then it is!
I mean as a rough example just look at retail shop floor staff for instance, you will probably need 4-5 to equate to what someone in mid management is earning. However the average will be a lot higher for those 5-6 earners compared to the shop floor workers salary.

Precisely.

A quick example is;

5 employees earning £18,000
1 earning £60,000

Average = £25000 a totally meaningless number because, firstly nobody in that company is earning £25,000 and secondly 5 out 6 are well below that and 1 is way above. It's why I take the average UK wage with a pinch of salt, it's a totally meaningless number. The vast vast majority won't be earning anywhere near that.

Associate
Precisely.

A quick example is;

5 employees earning £18,000
1 earning £60,000

Average = £25000 a totally meaningless number because, firstly nobody in that company is earning £25,000 and secondly 5 out 6 are well below that and 1 is way above. It's why I take the average UK wage with a pinch of salt, it's a totally meaningless number. The vast vast majority won't be earning anywhere near that.

The knock on effect of this which imo is very bad is that most benefits use the average salary as to dictate how much support the government provides. This is one of the reason you end up with people thinking its better for them to stay on benefits rather then go out to earn a living as most low/entry level jobs pay less.

Caporegime
I'd imagen that most of these people have not set up companies and paid tax so it might come back to bit them when the IRS catches up with them.
Yeah, the UK tax system is easily abused in this regard.
To many people on very low incomes it's a significant amount of money, sure. It is however objectively speaking not a lot of money.

Soldato
I know some like to think poverty doesnt exist in this country, but I am shocked at the surprise that 2k a month is a lot of money for many people.

Caporegime
Consider the differences between, mean, median and mode.

Also look at the distribution at this we site;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...sposableincomeandinequality/financialyear2020
I just gave the average figure I'm not looking for an extended discussion on all of the varying levels of statistics in salary distributions.
I know some like to think poverty doesnt exist in this country, but I am shocked at the surprise that 2k a month is a lot of money for many people.

Literally no-one said that they are surprised that 2k is a lot of money to some people.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I think this forum user ratio is skewed in favour of higher earners, which is why £2k a month doesn't seem that much, but back in the real world that's a small fortune to be earning a month for the vast majority.

Literally no-one said that they are surprised that 2k is a lot of money to some people.

The way you phrased your comments, to me anyway, read as if you think the majority of the population wouldn't think £2k a month is a lot. If that is what you meant, then I believe you're misguided, there are probably many millions in the UK who would disagree and would gladly welcome picking up £2k in their wages every month

Back
Top Bottom