Criteria tracking solution - advice and guidance please

Soldato
I'm currently studying a course which has a lot of criteria that I'll need to meet (twice) in my work. Currently I use a spreadsheet to keep track of which ones I have submitted, achieved once and achieved twice, which works quite well.

However in September I'm starting the final level of the course which will involve a lot more work and a lot more criteria and in an effort to keep myself up to date and more organised I've been pondering on the idea of a simple solution that could be run on a tablet or a Pi with a touchscreen so I could easily see, at a glance, what work I still needed to do and be able to record what I've submitted etc.

I've put together a rough layout of what I'm thinking I would like:

LJcq2ui.jpg

On the left are all the criteria needed. Ideally I'd like to be able to select one and have it display the candidate guidance notes in the panel on the bottom right and give me the options to quickly mark it submitted or achieved.

I would like the criteria buttons on the left to change colour to reflect the current state of the criteria, as follows:

Red = Not done
Orange = Achieved once
Green = Achieved twice
Blue = submitted

As a non-programming person it feels like this should be something that is fairly easy to achieve but I'm not really sure where to begin, and I have a lot of questions that are flying round my head at the moment (see below). If anyone could give me their thoughts, advice or guidance I would really appreciate it.

Soldato
If you wanted it to look exactly as shown you would have to code it from scratch using custom web design and programming. This would take quite a lot of time to learn from scratch and would probably not be worth your time (unless that's what you want to learn).

Otherwise, if you can compromise, you would probably be better off looking at the myriad of To Do apps to see if one would do a reasonable job.

Soldato
OP
If you wanted it to look exactly as shown you would have to code it from scratch using custom web design and programming. This would take quite a lot of time to learn from scratch and would probably not be worth your time (unless that's what you want to learn).

Otherwise, if you can compromise, you would probably be better off looking at the myriad of To Do apps to see if one would do a reasonable job.

I don't really mind quite how it looks besides it being really simple and suitable for a touch screen interface. I wasn't sure if it might be something that could possible to put together as a web page or something but you're right, it's not something I want to spend too much time on.

You could replicate the above in Excel easy enough just using background colours.

I wondered if it might be something that could be put together in excel with buttons etc but I don't really know where to start with that but I could have a look for some tutorials.

Associate
Could I suggest that you take a look at using a Kanban board instead? They are designed to keep track of tasks as they progress through different states. Some existing solutions include Microsoft Tasks (https://tasks.office.com) and Trello (https://trello.com/). Learning how to use a Kanban board is also a skill which you'll find beneficial in the future.

If you've not come across Kanban boards before then here's a quick intro. Loads of info on the web about it - https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanc...ely-productive-a-short-guide/?sh=70c2d53c1647

Soldato
You could do this fairly easily (assuming you know how to code, which it says you don't) with a website and some Javascript.
You could code the two inputs, - button name, and - Criteria. Then the 3 hardcoded buttons in the top right could just change the colour of the button based on which you choose.
Without causing offence, explain how to do that would be impossible if you aren't a developer of any kind. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom