• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card advice

Associate
Hi all looking for some advice i am giving my current computer away to a family member, They would like to game on some current games at 1080p I plan on buying a new graphics card for the computer £150, Only thing i can find is a Nvidia 1030 will this graphics card play at 1080p. My computer is old but still works fine its well over ten years old.

Soldato
The 1030 is a pretty weak card. You can game on it at 1080p but you're looking at between 30 and 60 fps with medium to low settings. If you do get one make sure it's the version with GDDR5 memory. The DDR4 one is terrible.

Unfortunately graphics cards of any variety are hard to get hold of at the moment so I'm not sure what to recommend. The 1050Ti is a much better bet for decent 1080p gaming but £230 seems very expensive https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ci-express-gddr5-graphics-card-gx-03t-pl.html

Soldato
You could probably pick up a second hand 1050ti on ebay for about £150 if you are lucky. It depends what games though. If you play only a handful and some of them are older....you may be fine with an older card. What games?

Associate
OP
You could probably pick up a second hand 1050ti on ebay for about £150 if you are lucky. It depends what games though. If you play only a handful and some of them are older....you may be fine with an older card. What games?

Not sure about games he will be playing he is only 11 just giving it away just wanted to give him a newish graphics card

Associate
You'll be fine with the 1030 and some/most of the 1050s but check that your 10 year old GPU has enough spare capacity for any new card

Associate
OP
I have found a 1650 for £164.99 a little over budget but ok with that, after reading tho it says PCI Express 3.0 my old motherboard is on 2.0 will this work i also only have a 500 watts PS

Associate
OP
Missed out yesterday it sold out super fast, after having a full day searching i have come to the conclusion that i wont be getting a graphics card even the 1050 is £230 which seems way overpriced

Soldato
What is the MM

Its a private members area for selling hardware etc you need 1000+ posts.

I have found a 1650 for £164.99 a little over budget but ok with that, after reading tho it says PCI Express 3.0 my old motherboard is on 2.0 will this work i also only have a 500 watts PS

a 1650 would be fine for your system dont worry about PCIE 3.0 card its backwards compatible with 2.0

Missed out yesterday it sold out super fast, after having a full day searching i have come to the conclusion that i wont be getting a graphics card even the 1050 is £230 which seems way overpriced

ah. shame. You ideally need to keep looking at the 2nd hand market on various well known websites for around the budget you have.

Back
Top Bottom