Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Doesn't feel hot, no more than usual.

Reset it using the pin hole and I had an internet connection when I used it in default settings as a router but as soon as I put it into modem mode the red light came back and Asus router says "Your ISPs DHCP does not function properly". If I reset the asus router it will then just say disconnected.

Soldato
Was there a software update for the Hub 3 today / recently? Ours is in modem mode but I haven't been able to get a connection all day. My router just shows it as disconnected, it won't let me connect via IP address and it has a red light on but not the usual connection issues light. Ran the test on the virgin site and it doesn't show any problems but it also says the red light means overheating but its in its usual place with plenty of ventilation. :confused:

Will try turning it off again for a while.
I had an issue yesterday morning where Wifi would not work at all on the SH3 and everything was disconnected.

I could login tho and rebooted the SH3 which resolved it

Soldato
Screenshot-20210330-191641-Chrome.jpg

How do you turn this off? For 2 months now I always get this message on desktop or mobile. Blatantly intentional by VM.

Associate
Virgin Media went live on my street today. I've had Plusnet FTTC for as long as we've live here (9 years) but that maxes out at 32Mbps. It's been faultless though.

It looks like I can get anything up to M500. Would I regret making the move? I probably only want Broadband/phone and no TV. I have a Unifi network running at home so whatever kit they supply would need to go into modem only mode.

Soldato
My connection has been abysmal lately i have no clue what's going on, Web pages loading extremely slow,Even this morning at 7-8am.
Probably going to have to make the dreaded call to their call centre :mad:

Soldato
My connection has been abysmal lately i have no clue what's going on, Web pages loading extremely slow,Even this morning at 7-8am.
Probably going to have to make the dreaded call to their call centre :mad:

If you don't mind waiting a day or so for a response I find their forums are pretty good for non urgent issues.

Soldato
Virgin Media went live on my street today. I've had Plusnet FTTC for as long as we've live here (9 years) but that maxes out at 32Mbps. It's been faultless though.

It looks like I can get anything up to M500. Would I regret making the move? I probably only want Broadband/phone and no TV. I have a Unifi network running at home so whatever kit they supply would need to go into modem only mode.

Depends. You could make the switch and have a flawless connection and they're charging you the right amount, you'll never need to contact them and think they're a good company. If on the other hand, theres an issue and you need to contact them, good luck.

Man of Honour

It's always worth giving them a shot but keep your Plusnet line. You have up to 14 days with VM to cancel it if the connection is poor. VM have recently gone live where I live and I am also on FTTC at around 50 Mbps, I would have had a connection installed to see what it's like however I am moving soon and my new house has full FTTP.

Soldato
It's always worth giving them a shot but keep your Plusnet line. You have up to 14 days with VM to cancel it if the connection is poor. VM have recently gone live where I live and I am also on FTTC at around 50 Mbps, I would have had a connection installed to see what it's like however I am moving soon and my new house has full FTTP.
Sounds advice, my VM line should have gone live yesterday but the engineer said there was a fault on the line from my house to the pathway (We had our front garden done a year or so ago so the cable may have been cut) Kelly's communications are due to come out and take a look at running a new cable ..... not sure I trust them but we shall see what they say

Associate
Depends. You could make the switch and have a flawless connection and they're charging you the right amount, you'll never need to contact them and think they're a good company. If on the other hand, theres an issue and you need to contact them, good luck.

From what I've seen, that applies to most ISPs. Apart from one billing issue (which took a frustrating few months to sort out), I've never needed to contact PlusNet therefore my experience is mostly very positive. After checking last night, it turns out I negotiated an 18m deal with PlusNet last year so I'm locked in until end Feb-2022 anyway. Oh well, faster fibre will just have to wait.

Soldato
I just called VM to disconnect my M200 package (£34.50/m) as I have ordered FTTP 900/150 through BT. Vm retentions have just offered me M1000 for £52/m...still think I will jump ship but was tempted for a short amount of time. BT is £49.99 for 24 months and £105 cashback.

Soldato

I went from Plusnet 10mb ADSL to Virgin M100 broadband and phone package (no tv package), everything went fine once they cleared the cable blockage outside for installation (only took them 5 months). Mine was finally installed on 3rd March this year, the phone and BB went down just over week later (however this was due to London Electricity board damaging the Virgin fibre cables outside, took them two days to fixed it), apart from that my connection has been faultless even with Virgin Superhub3 in modem mode with my router.

End of the day I guess it depends on your own area, mine seems to be very stable and in fact even more stable then when I was with Plusnet which was pretty good.

Only tip I can give you is use a decent router since the Superhubs don't have get coverage on wifi, I use my router connected to Superhub3 and ethernet cable from router to my TP Link powerline adaptors to the third floor which works great, rest of family prefer wifi but that is taken care of with my old TP Link VR900 modem/router.

Think I'll try the new TP Link AX20 router down the road, seen that for 89 quid.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I just called VM to disconnect my M200 package (£34.50/m) as I have ordered FTTP 900/150 through BT. Vm retentions have just offered me M1000 for £52/m...still think I will jump ship but was tempted for a short amount of time. BT is £49.99 for 24 months and £105 cashback.

I'd take Opeanreach FTTP for the superior upload speed.

Back
Top Bottom