• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Future prices

Associate
I think we might be approaching a lull in GPU prices with EIP-1559 potentially affecting mining profits I think miners might be tempted to keep their powder dry and see how things work out.

Man of Honour
Should really be looking for yourself but as the saying goes.. "happy wife, happy life". I do live by this too lol.

Yeah wouldn't hold my breath, might up my storage and finally rid my last mechanical drive for a 1/2TB SSD.

I honestly don't think she has any idea what is in it lol... so long as it works when she sits down she is happy. It is me who cares what is inside :)

Associate
If anything, the recent activities have let the GPU manufactures know that people will pay over the odds for GPU's.

It has kickstarted Intel to look at GPU's. It would be good to get Matrox back and have 4 manufacturers rather than ***Edit 2 not 1**

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
**** it, I'll gamble and send back. Doesn't matter how much money I can spend, just cannot support the prices. May consider jumping onto Intel 10th gen though, 10850K at around the same 5600X price is pretty good.

Soldato
If anything, the recent activities have let the GPU manufactures know that people will pay over the odds for GPU's.

It has kickstarted Intel to look at GPU's. It would be good to get Matrox back and have 4 manufacturers rather than one!

Same as the last crypto boom and prices never came down again. :(

Soldato
I honestly don't think she has any idea what is in it lol... so long as it works when she sits down she is happy. It is me who cares what is inside :)
Same, the wife usual complains if its slow or does something it shouldn't do which is when i know its time to upgrade or shes been on some dodgy site lol.

Soldato
Very hard to predict. It will depend a lot on crypto and changes with Ethereum. It's possible that all of a sudden a mass GPU sell off gets triggered with a race to the bottom for selling off all the cards miners bought, massively bringing down second hand prices. Prices of new stock would then also come down in time. Realistically this is likely to continue into this time next year though as supply is so down.

Permabanned
Anyone think prices may come down by Autumn? I know it is completely unknown, but struggling whether to return the 6900XT or not.

No way. They are talking now about the shortages lasting in to 2022. We will have to be well out of the shortages for prices to fall.

It's all party tied to cryptocurrencies too. If they remain strong then demand is not going to diminish and so prices could remain high for the foreseeable future. I think it is more relevant to ask at the moment when will the shortages end, not when will the prices come down.

Associate
I don't think we're going to see prices drop this generation. New cards will be developed by time supply starts to meet demand. What I fear then is the RRP of new cards will all go up to match this demand.

Associate
I don't think we're going to see prices drop this generation. New cards will be developed by time supply starts to meet demand. What I fear then is the RRP of new cards will all go up to match this demand.

Yeah, we have seen it with other stuff.. as soon as people have paid a certain amount for something that becomes the norm...

And when those prices become "too" much for us mugs they will roll out a PCP model so folk can rent cards and return them after a couple of years....

Eventually we end up with adverts plastered on TV for webuyanycard.com... I can see it now.

Soldato
The supply side of the problem won't be resolved until well in to next year. Could even be the year after. So any fall in prices this year has to come from a decrease in demand. Anyone expecting that to happen is dreaming TBH.

Soldato
Soldato
**** it, I'll gamble and send back. Doesn't matter how much money I can spend, just cannot support the prices. May consider jumping onto Intel 10th gen though, 10850K at around the same 5600X price is pretty good.
Put it on the MM mate, better to go to a gamer rather than back and re-sold to potentially miner/scalper

Man of Honour
Based on the supply situation I wouldn't expect any significant downwards move on prices before Black Friday next year when perhaps we'll see some surplus SKUs getting marked down.

OcUK Staff
All prices went up again this month from all partners on both NVIDIA and AMD, unfortunately its not an April fools. So even if they did come down end of this year they would no doubt only come down to what they are now, prices are gonna keep increasing in short term.

A Powercolor 6700 XT now cost me $575 plus VAT to buy direct from the manufacturer, a card which less than a month ago launched with a one hour MSRP price of £419.99 which even then we only broke even on, and now we lose big time on, hence why MSRP's are totally missing leading.

Soldato
i would have thought once console sales stabilise, then their be more wafers fors gpu's, most be going back to work soon, so im guessing consoles will be passed by scalpers in turn for more lucative profits ie gpu's

Associate
Lets hope intel come to market with their discrete gpu soon and are aggressive with their prices to gain market share. If we are lucky they might be good mining cards and miners are tempted to intel cards, so forcing nvidia and amd to compete more on price for the gaming market

Back
Top Bottom