Hot Chocolate!

Soldato
i really have decided there is nothing better than a lovely stove top hot chocolate. Now my go to is currently Green and Blacks hot chocolate as i don`t like the over sweet crap that is options or galaxy. I am after different varieties to try and different types of hot chocolate. So what do you guys recommend? I am most definitely after quality.

Soldato
Clipper hot chocolate and instant chocolate are both excellent.
Charbonnel is all name no taste for me. I've generally been disappointed with some of the premium brands, not enough sugar and often too bitter. Hotel Chocolate standard is a case in point but my wife thinks their velvetiser sachets are good.

We did get an interesting highly spiced hot chocolate from a wholefood store which is nice if you add a teaspoon to the suacepan when making 2 large mugs. I'll find the name out and share.

Associate
i really have decided there is nothing better than a lovely stove top hot chocolate. Now my go to is currently Green and Blacks hot chocolate as i don`t like the over sweet crap that is options or galaxy. I am after different varieties to try and different types of hot chocolate. So what do you guys recommend? I am most definitely after quality.

I've been using cadbury chocolate buttons and melted them into the milk on the stove. Tastes pretty good. I've never tried Green and Blacks hot chocolate, but I really enjoy their chocolates.

Associate
I love the Belgium options hot chocolate, often £2 in asda, couple of teaspoons, add water to just cover and mix then fill all the way yummy :D:p

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Hotel Chocolat. I've got their velvetiser and that makes it really well, but works just as good on a stove. Good variety of flavours too if that's your thing! (Granted they probably are more expensive than other marques...)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Green and blacks changed the recipe I am sure as it doesn't have the depth of flavour anymore.

Milky way magic stars is the hot choc of the moment.

Soldato
Hotel Chocolat. I've got their velvetiser and that makes it really well, but works just as good on a stove. Good variety of flavours too if that's your thing! (Granted they probably are more expensive than other marques...)

We've got a Velvetiser as well - makes a very nice hot choc. Wouldn't mind it coming out a bit hotter, so we pre-warm the mugs with hot water whilst the machines whirls away. The Hotel Chocolat ginger flavour is lovely, really well balanced.

Currently trying some Choc Affair bags as well. Also very nice : https://www.choc-affair.com/chocolate-range/hot-chocolate/

bJN

bJN

Soldato
We've got a Velvetiser as well - makes a very nice hot choc. Wouldn't mind it coming out a bit hotter, so we pre-warm the mugs with hot water whilst the machines whirls away. The Hotel Chocolat ginger flavour is lovely, really well balanced.

Currently trying some Choc Affair bags as well. Also very nice : https://www.choc-affair.com/chocolate-range/hot-chocolate/
And here's me thinking we were the only people that did that! :D

The milk chocolate standard affair is nice, but I prefer the 70% dark one personally. Did try the 100% dark but that was a bit too bitter for my taste.

The wife is a fan of the hazelnut one (I think?); All the ginger ones we had I palmed off to my parents as we weren't a fan at all!

Soldato
Sadly, the velvetiser isn’t fit for the job. When they approached the company that makes it (Dualit) Dualit told them the only way to do hot chocolate properly with steam would be ~£250 retail and Hotel Chocolat decided even their well-heeled clientele would balk at that.

Dualit made their steamer anyway and it’s the best way to make hot chocolate, especially if you use the Marimba hot chocolate which is formulated with a touch of lecithin to emulsify it into milk better.

https://prcdirect.co.uk/dualit-84850-cino-milk-steamer.html?pdg=pla-335964421586:cmp-2044020948:adg-71804259785:crv-357646878171:pos-:dev-c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1-uAj4ff7wIVh5SyCh118gzEEAQYBCABEgIM4fD_BwE

https://www.marimbaworld.com/buy.html?chocs=1-Hot_Chocolate_Melts

Soldato
So, it's gonna poison you then! :p
thanks for keeping the secret that out of date stuff will kill you, don't eat at my house.

Hotel chocolate sachets only £1.30 per cup @220ml ... you could buy cocoa powder, and (not tried this bit) single cream/jersey milk , in a luxury stove cooked version for that;

Yes I'm not convinced Velvetisers actually cook the cocoa, so you need to be using chocolate flakes;
I've used an espresso machine steam wand though, dual purposing.

Soldato
Yes, if you have a good steam wand that will definitely do the business with chocolate flakes.

Also, bear in mind that in many countries (France, Poland) they just melt the chocolate in a cup in a bain marie and serve it like that. Literally hit chocolate.

Soldato
I love the Hotel Chocolat stuff. I got the missus a couple lots for Christmas and it beats everything else I've tried hands down. Their Easter eggs are pretty good as well!

Sadly, the velvetiser isn’t fit for the job. When they approached the company that makes it (Dualit) Dualit told them the only way to do hot chocolate properly with steam would be ~£250 retail and Hotel Chocolat decided even their well-heeled clientele would balk at that.

Dualit made their steamer anyway and it’s the best way to make hot chocolate, especially if you use the Marimba hot chocolate which is formulated with a touch of lecithin to emulsify it into milk better.

https://prcdirect.co.uk/dualit-8485...MI1-uAj4ff7wIVh5SyCh118gzEEAQYBCABEgIM4fD_BwE

https://www.marimbaworld.com/buy.html?chocs=1-Hot_Chocolate_Melts

That's a shame, I had an email last night about the Velvetiser and thought it might make a good present.

Permabanned
I've become a little disenchanted by stove top hot chocolate ever since discovering Options. It's wizardry to me. I don't understand how they make it taste so good compared to every other instant variety which by in large is all awful. Some of the Options flavours a little hit and miss but their standard one is exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom