Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
To be precise, the corporate media wouldn't report on it and whip their left wing sheep up into a frenzy about it. Joe Biden is pretty much everything they accused Donald Trump of being but the media coverage of him is totally different and therefore their viewers opinion of him is totally different. A few years ago they were frothing about kids in cages and now like the media they ignore Biden's "overflow facilities".

Do you have to bring Trump in to every thread? And are you so deluded to think that Biden would magically solve the issue after 70 days in office?

Associate
Weather or not the person being arrested was already dying before police got involved is kind of important because it creates reasonable doubt as to what caused the death.

-and the cause of death is kind of important when trying to prove murder in court.

Having breathing difficulties doesn't equate to already dying though. He didn't die until he had someone kneel on his neck for 9 minutes straight. Coincidence? I think not

Soldato
"A key witness who was with George Floyd on the day he died has informed the court that he will invoke the Fifth Amendment if asked to testify in Derek Chauvin's murder trial."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9425205/Key-witness-George-Floyd-trial-car-refuses-testify.htmls

I think he will do a deal to drop all charges against him, then he will testify.

"An official said Hall initially gave a false name to officers after Floyd's death. He then left Minneapolis and was tracked down in Texas and arrested due to outstanding warrants for felony possession of a firearm, felony domestic assault, and felony drug possession."

What a good person he is :cry:
Gets popcorn.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having breathing difficulties doesn't equate to already dying though. He didn't die until he had someone kneel on his neck for 9 minutes straight. Coincidence? I think not

"Coincidence" could apply the other way too though... Most people don't die from this technique or it would not be part of the training. So is it a coincidence that this individual how died reported berathing trouble before it was used? "I think not."

Also, "I think not" is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt and that is the where the bar is set in this case.

In fact, difficulty breathing before a technique (that doesn't kill most people it's used on) is implimented, is exactly the type of thing that creates reasonable doubt that the technique is the cause of death.

-And now that I think about it, the introduction of reasonable doubt is probably why the pitchfork mob is trying to downplay this fact.

Sgarrista
Commissario
-And now that I think about it, the introduction of reasonable doubt is probably why the pitchfork mob is trying to downplay this fact.

Of course, once the coroner reports with the levels of drugs in his system are bought in the case should be open and shut.

Caporegime
Never heard of a character witness?

The Defence will focus on his crimes, drug use, failings etc

The Prosecution will tell you what a wonderful guy he was.

Typical US court drama.

I would never want to be at the mercy of their judicial system, black or white.

Soldato
The defence is basically going to bring in all the evidence the mass media buried. (If they bothered to cover at all)

The prosecution's case will probably line up with all the news headlines.

Soldato
Associate
"Coincidence" could apply the other way too though... Most people don't die from this technique or it would not be part of the training. So is it a coincidence that this individual how died reported berathing trouble before it was used? "I think not."

Also, "I think not" is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt and that is the where the bar is set in this case.

In fact, difficulty breathing before a technique (that doesn't kill most people it's used on) is implimented, is exactly the type of thing that creates reasonable doubt that the technique is the cause of death.

This isn't true. It's outlawed in many states because it's dangerous. It was the same technique I believe that killed 2 other men mentioned in this thread other than GF. Also you're wrong anyway:

"The manual of the Minneapolis Police Department states that neck restraints and chokeholds are basically reserved for when an officer feels caught in a life-or-death situation."

Caporegime
OP
Listened to an episode of Cafe Insider today where Preet Bharara and Anne Milgram discussed the first week of this. Both former prosecutors, Preet running the prestigious SDNY and they both think the Prosecution has the very strong case. The full episode is behind a paywall but the first 12 mins is free.

https://podcasts.apple.com/lv/podca...-v-derek-chauvin/id1265845136?i=1000515077800

A strong case for what though? 2nd-degree murder? 3rd-degree murder? Manslaughter?

Remember the original local prosecutor, the one with actual skin in the game, didn't even go with a 2nd-degree murder charge and wanted the press that this would be a difficult case. The 2nd-degree murder charge came later when this got super political and had resources thrown at it - that latter part might increase the chances of a conviction but if people think there is a strong case of 2nd-degree murder then I suspect they're just pandering to populist opinion based on current media narratives surrounding this case.

Soldato

Typical US court drama.

I would never want to be at the mercy of their judicial system, black or white.

Pity they can't call the women he threatened to kill and had to leave the state for.

Caporegime
OP

Nope not relevant, Floyd isn't on trial here Chauvin is, likewise the defence can't bring up his past crimes. The relevance is his past drug use, the prosecution will use it to try and portray the regular drug use as not being so much of a drama, try to pre-empt the defence's arguments re: the drug use killing him.

Soldato
Character witness?

I always thought the character witness was for the person on trial although I can understand why the defence may need to dig into his drug addled history although it shouldn't be relevant just like the reasons for him coming to Minnesota are apparantly not relevant in the eyes of the court

Soldato
This isn't true. It's outlawed in many states because it's dangerous. It was the same technique I believe that killed 2 other men mentioned in this thread other than GF. Also you're wrong anyway:

"The manual of the Minneapolis Police Department states that neck restraints and chokeholds are basically reserved for when an officer feels caught in a life-or-death situation."

"Two other men"? I said most people this technique is used on do not die and you respond with "two other men"?

Are you working from the assumption that a grand total of 5 people have had this technique used on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom