Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a tidy Wifi IP camera that uses ONVIF or is qnap nas compatable?

https://www.securitydynamics.co.uk/wi-fi-solutions/wifi-ip-cameras/ipc-hfw1435sp-w.html - £70+VAT.

There are very few decent IP cameras with a WLAN interface. You need to get power to the camera anyway so unless you go solar it’s never going to be entirely free from cables.

https://www.cop-eu.com/ip-cameras-nvrs/ip-cameras/DS-2XS6A25G0-I-CH20S40(2.8MM) Which is actually pretty decent value at about £700+VAT.

Soldato
Hi all, I currently have Unifi cameras set up around the house which have been great, but since Ubiquiti have dropped support for their Unifi Video platform as well as me wanting to upgrade from 1080p to 5MP I'm here looking for ideas.

Pretty much set on the Dahua TiOC cameras they seem fantastic.

My question is that I will run the NVR off my server, will these work with the lives of Blue Iris, Zoneminder etc no problems? I have a 2TB Purple drive in my server dedicated to NVR recordings.

EDIT: Just seen that Dahua do SmartPSS, anyone have experience of this? A mobile app or mobile access is a must.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all, I currently have Unifi cameras set up around the house which have been great, but since Ubiquiti have dropped support for their Unifi Video platform as well as me wanting to upgrade from 1080p to 5MP I'm here looking for ideas.

Pretty much set on the Dahua TiOC cameras they seem fantastic.

My question is that I will run the NVR off my server, will these work with the lives of Blue Iris, Zoneminder etc no problems? I have a 2TB Purple drive in my server dedicated to NVR recordings.

EDIT: Just seen that Dahua do SmartPSS, anyone have experience of this? A mobile app or mobile access is a must.

Dahua’s mobile app is DMSS. SmartPSS is the desktop app. SmartPSS works fine but it has a few quirks. Effectively it’s the DVR/NVR/XVR software made to run under Windows.

Soldato
https://www.securitydynamics.co.uk/wi-fi-solutions/wifi-ip-cameras/ipc-hfw1435sp-w.html - £70+VAT.

There are very few decent IP cameras with a WLAN interface. You need to get power to the camera anyway so unless you go solar it’s never going to be entirely free from cables.

https://www.cop-eu.com/ip-cameras-nvrs/ip-cameras/DS-2XS6A25G0-I-CH20S40(2.8MM) Which is actually pretty decent value at about £700+VAT.

Cheers dude. Its running cat cable for the moment thats the issue. I'll take a look

Associate
Quick question on the fitting of hikvision turret type cameras.

When mounting to brickwork externally, when should a mounting bracket be used or when can you mount the camera directly to the wall?

All my cameras will require the POE network cable to be fed from the side of unit (and not behind).

Thanks

Soldato
Quick question on the fitting of hikvision turret type cameras.

When mounting to brickwork externally, when should a mounting bracket be used or when can you mount the camera directly to the wall?

All my cameras will require the POE network cable to be fed from the side of unit (and not behind).

Thanks

It’s generally accepted that you place the tail of the camera into the mounting box and you only pull the data cable through the gland. Although the tails are usually water-resistant they are better inside a mounting box.

The mounting box also moves the camera off the wall a little and that helps avoid seeing so much wall in the image.

Soldato

You could save yourself £7 and use the CAT5e version instead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-cabl...t+5+cable+direct+burial&qid=1617302351&sr=8-4

Bear in mind that surveillance cameras are only 10/100Mbps so CAT5e is fine.

Soldato
Can anyone with a DVR/NVR advise please?

Can you add cameras which are branded other than the one of the NVR? E.g. ONVIF compatible via WiFi to record to the NVR?

I have some yi cameras which I can make ONVIF compliant and don't really want to lose the investment on them, but want an NVR solution as I want a dahua starlight over my drive

Soldato
Can anyone with a DVR/NVR advise please?

Can you add cameras which are branded other than the one of the NVR? E.g. ONVIF compatible via WiFi to record to the NVR?

I have some yi cameras which I can make ONVIF compliant and don't really want to lose the investment on them, but want an NVR solution as I want a dahua starlight over my drive

It depends on the NVR obviously but certainly on the Hikvision and Dahua ones, you can add ONVIF and several other manufacturers cameras.

Associate
Hi,

Some Dahua XVRs have IVS rules embedded in the XVR/NVR that can be used with analog cameras. Not neccessarily TioC. This allows reusing the analogue cameras with the latests IA Dahua XVRs and activating the IA detection, the IVS rules.

But I wonder if there is a catch: Since analogue cameras have IR LEDs, during the night the image is black and white... And the IVS needs at least 10 tones of grey difference from the backround in order to distinguish a human silhouette...

So did someone tried activating IVS with Dahua XVR and analogue cameras during the night?

Is the intruder detection reliable under this configuration (IVS rule + Analog camera with IR illumination activated in darkness) ?

Regards,

Soldato
Hi,

Some Dahua XVRs have IVS rules embedded in the XVR/NVR that can be used with analog cameras. Not neccessarily TioC. This allows reusing the analogue cameras with the latests IA Dahua XVRs and activating the IA detection, the IVS rules.

But I wonder if there is a catch: Since analogue cameras have IR LEDs, during the night the image is black and white... And the IVS needs at least 10 tones of grey difference from the backround in order to distinguish a human silhouette...

So did someone tried activating IVS with Dahua XVR and analogue cameras during the night?

Is the intruder detection reliable under this configuration (IVS rule + Analog camera with IR illumination activated in darkness) ?

Regards,

Yes, IVS does indeed work. But! It only works on 25% of the available camera ports. Don’t ask me why, that’s just how it is.

Associate
Yes, IVS does indeed work. But! It only works on 25% of the available camera ports. Don’t ask me why, that’s just how it is.

Hi WJA96,

You mean it works at night with B/W images ? Sorry to insist :)
Thanks for the information !

By the way, did your contact at Dahua support said somethinq about the intrusion detection problem we discussed about two weeks ago?
I still have them, sometimes even when walking. Increasing the framerate, reducing at maximum the iFrame interval improved a little bit the situation but the intrusion detection remains unreliable.

I did so many tests that my neighbours thought I was mounting some illegal disco party :)

Thank You for your input!

Soldato
WiFi is just how the signal gets to the recorder.

But if you assume that most NVRs have a camera limit set by their PoE port count then you’d need to make sure that you had enough camera slots available and I would make sure to pick an NVR with a 1GbE LAN port because some of them are still 100Mbps on their ‘user’ LAN port.

Associate
I have an issue getting camera linked to NVR...

NVR is DS-7700
Camera is DS-2CD2347G2-LU

I'm replacing some existing POE cameras (don't know the brand) with the new NVR and new cameras.

I set-up the camera with the NVR first with just a short network cable for testing and activated it.

I've replaced the old camera with the Hikvision whilst it was still plugged into the old NVR (probably a bad move). I can see power is being delivered as the LED's light up. I then swapped the cable from the old NVR to the Hikvision NVR but the camera is no longer being listed.

Using the SADP tool I can see the camera is present and activated. Should I adjust the camera settings on the NVR (e.g. IP address) to match what is shown in SADP tool, or reset the camera/NVR?

Thanks!

Soldato
If you plugged the new camera into the old NVR it will have given the camera an IP address and set the username and password to the same as the old NVR.

If that's the case then you can go straight to the camera and reset it from within the web interface. You could try to set the IP address manually and see if that works. But I suspect it will be easier to just reset it.

Back
Top Bottom