The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
Entire bottle aged 3 years and 1 day? Any idea which distillery it is?
I've not tried it, but many unnamed releases of Islays from independent bottlers tend to be from Caol Ila, so that would be where my money would go if I were betting where this one came from as well. But without trying it that's just an educated guess.

Associate
I've not tried it, but many unnamed releases of Islays from independent bottlers tend to be from Caol Ila, so that would be where my money would go if I were betting where this one came from as well. But without trying it that's just an educated guess.

That's a sensible suggestion, but going by the tasting notes it sounds more like Bowmore to me. Hard to tell as you say, without tasting.

40%, full of E150, and no doubt as young as possible. I wouldn't hold out high hopes for it. At that price though it'd be good for "house whisky".

Soldato
Got a call today from Master of Malt saying that my order of the Kyro was cancelled.... noooooo!
Impressive service to call you! I'm used to just generic emails for that sort of thing from most retailers.

I looked at buying some a few days back, but out of stock and dislike the 500ml bottle given the prices for a rye. Finland is quite an expensive place though!

Instead, I spent even more on buying Arran 10, some great Calle 23 Reposado tequila and five malty samples. The dangers when what you're after is out of stock, and free shipping is only available after spending a pretty penny..!

Man of Honour
Whisky Exchange has reopened in London. I picked up an Uigeadail this weekend.

Anyone have any other smoky/peaty whisky recommendations? £80 limit
I’ve quite enjoyed Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

From memory, it was as if something ‘beyond peaty’ like an Octomore was crossed with the classic Laphroig 10... ditching the ultra sub-sub peats but adding in a familiar salt note (with a hint of the medicinal note of the Laphroig).

Last edited:
Soldato

Lagavulin 16 Distiller's Edition is a masterpiece in combining peated whisky with PX and Oloroso casks, and can be had for about your budget. It's a smoky fruity sweet combination that is one of my absolute favourites.

Or go standard Lagavulin 16 and put the rest towards another!

There are so many peated whiskies out there to choose from.

Edit: actually, get a taster set for Islay, they come premade or some places like the Whisky Exchange sell drams individually. Smoke is so very, very different between distilleries. Better than sinking 80 into something you don't actually like!

Soldato
I’ve quite enjoyed Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

From memory, it was as if something ‘beyond peaty’ like an Octomore was crossed with the classic Laphroig 10... ditching the ultra sub-sub peats but adding in a familiar salt note (with a hint of the medicinal note of the Laphroig).
Corryvreckan I had before and it was excellent. I would put Uigeadail above it but that’s just my taste.

Lagavulin 16 Distiller's Edition is a masterpiece in combining peated whisky with PX and Oloroso casks, and can be had for about your budget. It's a smoky fruity sweet combination that is one of my absolute favourites.

Or go standard Lagavulin 16 and put the rest towards another!

There are so many peated whiskies out there to choose from.
This is what I had my eye on. I think it would be an excellent one to try. Some very good reviews and I’ve always enjoyed Lagavulin!

Soldato
Corryvreckan I had before and it was excellent. I would put Uigeadail above it but that’s just my taste.

This is what I had my eye on. I think it would be an excellent one to try. Some very good reviews and I’m always enjoyed Lagavulin!
It is great, for me.

I just edited my last post with a suggestion of creating or buying an Islay taster set. Plenty to choose from, and a great way of exploring lots of distilleries. I don't get on with the rubbery smoke of Bowmore or Talisker, but wouldn't know this if I hadn't got a bunch of tasters.

The next smoky ones for me to try are Balvenie Peat Week and anything coming out of the Lagg distillery, which I've not tried before as it's so recent. Neither Islay of course, but the location makes no difference to me!

Last edited:
Associate

In no particular order:

Port Charlotte 10
Kilkerran 12
Springbank 15
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Lagavulin 8
Ledaig 10
Ledaig 18
Longrow Peated
Bunnahabhain Toiteach a Dhà
Talisker 18

Associate
Ok gents, what would be a good Irish whiskey? Probably looking at no more than £60 a bottle and would be for someones 75th birthday.

Oh, whilst i am here, anyone recommend a nice glass/variety to also gift?
Thank you

my goto drink at home is the

Dunville's PX

it hard to beat the

Redbreast 15

Soldato

I was going to reply but I see Illgresi has covered most of what I was going to say :p I'd add Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Mega bang for the buck there. Ledaig (Tobermory) is probably my favourite distillery at the moment, I'm yet to try their older ones though. The Ugge is pretty special though! I have a Bunnah' Gordon & Macphail bottling which is peated, absolutely gorgeous.

In no particular order:

Port Charlotte 10
Kilkerran 12
Springbank 15
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Lagavulin 8
Ledaig 10
Ledaig 18
Longrow Peated
Bunnahabhain Toiteach a Dhà
Talisker 18

Oh, whilst i am here, anyone recommend a nice glass/variety to also gift?
I really like the Whiskey Exchange one, it's a little different; https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/46180/perfect-measure-whisky-glass-in-gift-box

Soldato
I'm really enjoying Arran 10, a proper change from my usual peated ones.

Now...I've been trying to get Hibiki Harmony for months now, and all I can find is either out of stock, or absurd prices in the £100+ region for something that was 60-80 GBP before.

Any pointers?

Soldato
just pciked up a bottle of glenfarclas 15 and a Jura 12.

I have always stayed away from Jura not sure why but I always thoguht it was full of peat, and I am not overly keen on heavilly peated whisky (caol ila non withsatanding as that was actually nice), but laphroaig is like drinking TCP that has been set on fire where rubber tyers are the primary fuel !!!!!

will report back once i taste the Jura

Update

the Glenfarclas 15 was excellent. I am getting a real liking for the single malts that are finished off in Sherry Casks. Even though it comes in at 46% it was still quite nice and didn't give you that nasty burning feeling you get when you drink spirits that are over 40. I would 100% buy this again when I eventually finish it.

The Jura 12 was a bit disapointing. Not quite sure why, but it just seemed a bit flat / light in the taste and nose. However I gave Jura another chance and bought the Jura 18 finished in red wine casks. Now this was a different beast altogether. Much darker finish, with a really nice intense rich taste.

Added another 2 to my collection, both are Sherry Cask finished

Tamnavulin Dobule Cask
Aberlour 12 Double Cask

Haven't tried the new ones yet, however looking at them in the bottles side by side I think the Aberlour is going to have a much more complex sherry finish as it is a lot darker than the Tamnavulin.

Eventually off loaded the nearly full bottle of Laphroaig to my mate as he likes it. Just taking the cork out of the bottle gave me a headache, not sure if I will ever be able to get into tose heavilly peated types from islay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom