• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Steam March 2021 hardware survey

Soldato
What I find interesting is the month-on-month change in market share, as you can see where cards are starting to make traction. 3070 is top dog but the 1650, 1650ti and 2060 gained more market share last month than the 3080.

What's really interesting is just how much the RTX3070 grabbed in February, over 1%! Makes you wonder if the January stats were accurate.

The 1650, 1650ti and 2060 numbers are probably due to people selling their old cards on eBay. So in the previous month they were on a shelf gathering dust. Because Im sure they aren't actually still making those cards?

Soldato
* The AMD RX6000 cards continue to be missing from the steam survey, unable to reach the roughly 120,000 units needed for a model to make an appearance

You probably looked at videocard page.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

But these did not showed all videocards like RTX 3000 series cards included laptops as well as RX 6000 series cards which first showed up in Steam Survey back in Feb 2021.

You should look at directx page's Vulkan section.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

VULKAN SYSTEMS (LINUX OR POST-XP WINDOWS WITH VULKAN GPU) MARCH 2021

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 2.48%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 1.62%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 0.72%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 0.64%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 0.08%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU 0.08%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 0.08%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU 0.02%

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 0.12%
AMD Radeon RX 6800 0.08%
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 0.08%

Soldato
The paper launch thing was just a meme wasn't it?

It was classed as such due to most people on here not being able to buy one until we got down with the Discord. The AMD came along and outdid Nvidia (in a bad way for us) and claimed the paper launch title. :)

GTX 1060 most popular Video Card amongst Steam Owners. Just goes to show you 6gb VRAM (or even 3gb VRAM) - just saying ! ;)

Soldato
It was classed as such due to most people on here not being able to buy one until we got down with the Discord. The AMD came along and outdid Nvidia (in a bad way for us) and claimed the paper launch title. :)

GTX 1060 most popular Video Card amongst Steam Owners. Just goes to show you 6gb VRAM (or even 3gb VRAM) - just saying ! ;)

Wouldn't the 1060 just have been the cheapest discrete graphics card of it's generation? It's not always the case, but it makes sense that it'd be very popular.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
fortnite and other such games probably explains the 1060. no need for a higher end card if you play at 1080p i bet.

Associate
Steam really needs to change their total HDD space numbers, who has a total of less than 10GB in 2021 and uses steam (though that's at 0.01% somehow :eek:), and they need to add more numbers than show just above 1TB as almost 53% have more than that available.

Soldato
I was watching a live stream a year or two ago and one of the gamers had been running his 240hz screen at just 60hz for the last two years because he didn't realise he had to enable freesync etc.

I bet there's hundreds of thousands of complete noobs with a 3080 and a 1080p 60hz monitor without realising it's overkill. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there's over a million people with a 3070 or 3080 at 1080p 60Hz. Just so naive about the hardware aspect. People who normally buy an xx60 card but now high end is all they can get hold of and they accept it's the norm now.

Soldato
AMD would definitely be claiming that you need to include consoles in the numbers, which is perhaps fair enough, sales are sales, and consoles are definitely gamers too.
by targetting consoles they short changed the pc gamer market, so consoles shouldnt be included imo. they made less money per unit but gained in volume which might have made up the pc market short fall

Soldato
by targetting consoles they short changed the pc gamer market, so consoles shouldnt be included imo. they made less money per unit but gained in volume which might have made up the pc market short fall

They short changed the PC market, but helped the console market. Consoles aren't going to go without graphics cards, so it would have happened whoever worked with them, I just don't think those numbers can be ignored.

V F

V F

Soldato
I was watching a live stream a year or two ago and one of the gamers had been running his 240hz screen at just 60hz for the last two years because he didn't realise he had to enable freesync etc.

I bet there's hundreds of thousands of complete noobs with a 3080 and a 1080p 60hz monitor without realising it's overkill. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there's over a million people with a 3070 or 3080 at 1080p 60Hz. Just so naive about the hardware aspect. People who normally buy an xx60 card but now high end is all they can get hold of and they accept it's the norm now.

You don't need to run Freesync to enable 240Hz.

Soldato
They short changed the PC market, but helped the console market. Consoles aren't going to go without graphics cards, so it would have happened whoever worked with them, I just don't think those numbers can be ignored.
definately not disagreeing with it could have been someone else, but who ever it was, consoles are a different criteria imo, steam survey is based on pc hardware/software thats being used, that being said im sure amd are laughing all the way to the bank with their console sales:)

Associate
It would be interesting to see what MS and Sony would do if AMD did an Nvidia and told them the console margins are too small for us to continue with you for the next generation.
Can't see either ever wanting to go back to Nvidia so they'd have to get ARM or Imagine to make them one.
The problem with 80% of AMD's TSMC wafers going to consoles has a lot to do with AMD being to cautious with their own forecasts. Plus chasing margins to please the stock market, as even under estimating Zen3 demand isn't the whole perform with their forecasting as Zen2 at lower margins would would have had far better margins than the consoles (or RDNA2).

Associate
But 3.4 million 3000 series cards... so this was all a demand driven shortage?
Well, demand is crazy hence why people are willing to pay way more than the so-called RRP.
But mining does play a big part too.
If only a million cards, for example, handy gone to miners, the cards would be closer to RRP with less scalping and price gauging.
But the impatient consumers are hardly innocent here either. I heard some people calling miners entitled, but those who constantly upgrade and expect new toys all the time (at great cost in natural resources, for example Taiwan's water shortage) are certainly entitled too.

Soldato
AMD would definitely be claiming that you need to include consoles in the numbers, which is perhaps fair enough, sales are sales, and consoles are definitely gamers too.

Why Steam is for the PC not consoles ? People who play consoles are gamers. Consoles are just something you plug into the TV or monitor. They have no heart, they have no soul, they do not fart they do not roll. :D

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah I`m aware that high refresh gaming was around long before gsync/freesync was even invented. My point is that his 240hz monitor was operating at 60hz due to naivety.

What was the reaction after they first experienced 240Hz after 2 years of running it at 60Hz? :cry:

Back
Top Bottom