[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Associate
You are right, they stick out oddly. But I’m trying to stick to an iPhone only workflow so haven’t quite gotten to that level of manipulation just yet.. I’ll see what Lightroom can do though.

Associate
Hi,

As I mentioned in the wildlife pic thread, I'm new to DSLR photography. In between lockdowns, I've been out and about, snapping. Here's a few of my favourites.

Firstly, she needs no introduction:

IMG-2434-Forth-Rail-Bridge.jpg

I actually found shooting her rather difficult. Multiple days, lenses, positions, f numbers, ISOs, shutter speeds, etc. I'm still not 100% satisfied, but out of the almost 1000 pics I took, I think is the one I'm most happy with. There were a few seagulls which I thought spoiled the pic, so I photoshopped them out. Canon EOS 6D, Canon "nifty fifty" fixed 50mm lens, ISO400, f4, 1/4000. Taken from just to the west of that long narrow car park in South Queensferry.

Stirling Castle:

IMG-3934-Stirling-Castle.jpg

Taken from the lay-by next to the roundabout at the junction of Dumbarton Road and Raploch Road. Again, EOS6D, f6.3, 1/200, ISO100. Can't remember which lens I was using.

The Wallace Monument:

IMG-4190-Wallace-Monument.jpg

Taken from Stirling Castle car park, approx 2km away. The rainbow was actually there due to a shower in the distance. Canon EOS6D, fixed Cannon 200ml lens, f3.5, 1/320, ISO100. I like the variation in colours of the trees on Abbey Craig (the hill the monument stands on), the slightly angry looking sky and the subtle rockiness of the Ochil Hills in the background. Slightly edited to remove the parked cars at the bottom of the monument.

Edinburgh Castle:

IMG-2962.jpg

Probably Scotland's most famous landmark, taken from probably Edinburgh's most popular photography spot - up the stairs in the vennel leading off from Grassmarket, opposite the junction with King's Stable Road. I cropped this to remove most of the houses in the foreground and edited out the drainage pipes on the right side of the castle and had this put onto an 80x40cm canvas.

And finally,

The Ross Fountain:

IMG-4503-Ross-Fountain.jpg

The Ross Fountain can be found in Princes Street Gardens, right next to Waverley Train Station, with the North Side of Edinburgh Castle in the background. I'm desperate to get back out there, once restrictions are lifted, to retake this photo. I really dislike the wire mesh on the cliff face being visible. I couldn't hide the mesh behind the fountain last time because of the position of the sun, which as you can tell, is just to the right of shot. If I can get it right next time, definitely one for canvas I think.

Anyway,

Thanks for looking, hope you like. Constructive criticism/hints/tips welcomed.

Cheers,

FB..

Soldato
Great pics!
Especially loving that middle shot.

Thanks alchal, I took those just after xmas at Kings Cross station. What's interesting is that they're plain white backlit led panels that slowly and evenly change colour, but I found that when I shot any faster than 1/50 shutter speed, it created these crazy colour patterns which I think look cool and bit trippy. :)

Soldato
Thanks alchal, I took those just after xmas at Kings Cross station. What's interesting is that they're plain white backlit led panels that slowly and evenly change colour, but I found that when I shot any faster than 1/50 shutter speed, it created these crazy colour patterns which I think look cool and bit trippy. :)

They do indeed, shall have to brave London after lockdown now!

Back
Top Bottom