What router for Gaming to replace UDM-Pro

Soldato
Right guys my house is hardwired so the best wifi isnt needed but has to be flawless and be able to run all my house with no issues.

My kids are esports players so only the best please.

Reason for going away from Ubiquiti is the data breach and them trying to cover it up... So its a principal thing.

Any help ?

Soldato
Mikrotik RB4011, an Untangle appliance, QNAP Guardian QGD-1600P or 1602P for better VM support, QNAP QhORA - there are loads of excellent alternatives to UBNT. If you’re being principled about UBNT then you probably won’t want a pfSense appliance, but I’m sure you’re aware of that option as well.

Soldato
Seems like a bit of an over reaction and they’ve already had your money.

I’m not sure there is a company out there that’s had a data breach (there isn’t many left that haven’t these days) and not tried to cover it up or significantly downplay the scope or the impact of the breach. That’s just life in this internet connected times and all you can really do is the usual mitigation’s.

Associate
Best sensible options are either, Mikrotik RB4011 or OpnSense / pay for Untangle. Do not use PfSense, even with the issues with Netgate PfSense is inferior to OpnSense and PfSense 2.5 is shockingly unstable for a firewall. Loads of people love the RB4011 and its easily the best bang for you buck for an off the shelf router, just don't get the WiFi model, use AP's e.g. TP-Link EAP245's.

Soldato
Best sensible options are either, Mikrotik RB4011 or OpnSense / pay for Untangle. Do not use PfSense, even with the issues with Netgate PfSense is inferior to OpnSense and PfSense 2.5 is shockingly unstable for a firewall. Loads of people love the RB4011 and its easily the best bang for you buck for an off the shelf router, just don't get the WiFi model, use AP's e.g. TP-Link EAP245's.

+1. If you're not a networking/Unix guru then OPNSense or IPFire on a small x86 computer. See eBay for a second hand Lenovo, HP or Dell unit with a Core i5 or better. Expect to pay around £60 to £120 and add in a server pulled Intel I350 NIC for best results (about £35 on top). Off the shelf, avoid anything Asus if you value security.

Soldato
OP
I have a intel 4 port i350 lying around what cheap HP or Dell unit will suffice for OPNSense ? or is the Mikrotik RB4011 better ?

My connection is BT 900MB FTTP line if that helps.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Soldato
You could try sophos xg (home edition).
It can also be ran as a vm.

Not really taken much notice regarding the data breach, but I assume this didn’t affect people running the cloudkey locally.

have unifi enforced mfa, or at least recommend customers enable it?

Back
Top Bottom