Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Turned out to be a bit of a disappointment

I think a lot of PI's myself included had been lead to believe, pre suspension, that closing on the first transaction was quite close and was what most were hoping for news on today. The disclosure about what the exactly client numbers and potential monetised inventory contained also put people on the back foot.

It felt somewhat that perhaps another piece of news was missing, in that alluding to the trading update before the end of the month - to then file at the 11th hour and publish today. Maybe the funder looking to diversify threw a curve ball but they still felt obligated to publish afterall committing to an RNS and then not publishing is possibly worse than publishing anything.

Associate
Has anyone thought about what to do with their 2021/2022 S&S Allowance?

Hargreaves - no no at 0.45% and free trading in funds.
Fidelity - 0.25% until September then 0.35%. free trading in funds
Interactive Investor - I don't have a large enough balance yet for their £10 monthly fee to be worthwhile, and free trading on their regular service.
AJB charge 0.25% platform fee plus £1.50 to trade funds as I like to top up monthly so see this as a no no.

About 80% of my holdings in Fidelity consist of HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund Acc C - with its OCF of 0.13%, and Vanguard Lifestrategy 100% at 0.22%.

Currently I'm thinking stick with Fidelity and building up a balance so its more economical to go elsewhere OR use my 212 ISA. With the latter I could easily transfer my existing General investments into my 2021/2022 ISA allowance, purchase similar ETFs instead like VWRP and HCWI, which have much the same OCF, with the added advantage of no platform fee, so 0.3% cheaper. If I wanted to purchase more funds, then I could rotate my holdings in Fidelity.

That being said, 0.3% saving on 20k 2021/2022 allowance is like £60 so not exactly life changing.

Associate
I've recently dumped iWeb S&S for T212, but have kept my wife's with ii. It's good enough for the time being. I'm trying to stop micromanaging / over engineering every decision so good enough will do.

Caporegime
Has anyone thought about what to do with their 2021/2022 S&S Allowance?

Hargreaves - no no at 0.45% and free trading in funds.
Fidelity - 0.25% until September then 0.35%. free trading in funds
Interactive Investor - I don't have a large enough balance yet for their £10 monthly fee to be worthwhile, and free trading on their regular service.
AJB charge 0.25% platform fee plus £1.50 to trade funds as I like to top up monthly so see this as a no no.

About 80% of my holdings in Fidelity consist of HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund Acc C - with its OCF of 0.13%, and Vanguard Lifestrategy 100% at 0.22%.

Currently I'm thinking stick with Fidelity and building up a balance so its more economical to go elsewhere OR use my 212 ISA. With the latter I could easily transfer my existing General investments into my 2021/2022 ISA allowance, purchase similar ETFs instead like VWRP and HCWI, which have much the same OCF, with the added advantage of no platform fee, so 0.3% cheaper. If I wanted to purchase more funds, then I could rotate my holdings in Fidelity.

That being said, 0.3% saving on 20k 2021/2022 allowance is like £60 so not exactly life changing.

Basing your decision on tiny 0.45% fee is the worst way to look at things.

Soldato

I agree - Each one has pro's/cons. AJ Bell app is excellent, easy to buy quickly etc. I recently moved my SIPP & ISA from Fidelity to AJ Bell. Reasons - cheaper platform fee overall and I don't trade much, I do pay in monthly as smallish amount but don't always buy every month. I tend to pay a large single Employer contribution once a year in. App is very good with them.

Fee's are something that people always harp on about, press love to jump on "high" fees - but in reality, most platforms these days are pretty much even overall.

Caporegime
crypto is less exciting though, I guess because it's not really based on anything you can really calculate, seems more like gambling.

I got a small amount of BTC but not enough that it's interesting to watch it

What do you mean seems like? You're buying a virtual coin which isn't regulated or backed by anything other than you hope someone else will buy it off you in the future for more. It's not even safe either as the chain can be hacked, the exchange can be hacked, you can lose the key, etc.

It's a ridiculous concept and one day a lot of people will be left crying. At least with gold you are buying something physical.

But I do have some and I'm hoping Elon can push it above 100k I'll sell it then as the crash that is coming will see 80% wiped out within a month.

Associate
I'm not solely basing any decision on fees. My current thoughts are stick to 3 providers. Fidelity, AJB and 212. Each have their pro/cons.

On the BTC front, hopefully we all did well from ARB.L, but its rapid rise the past few months I can see it retracting a bit. Happy to be wrong on this.
CHRY now looks attractive for reentry at 196p, similarly with CWR dropping back to the 1100-1200p range but most of its gains will probably be slow to 2024.

With MNTN issuing more shares, I'm keeping an eye on trading volumes as I don't like the fact that the trades that go through are at a 18% premium. Its an interesting trust with potential.

Tech I see is probably the sector to be in again this year, but can see more of a wobble and I'm currently looking at discounted income investment trusts as I can see the assets recovering in the short to medium term.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What do you mean seems like? You're buying a virtual coin which isn't regulated or backed by anything other than you hope someone else will buy it off you in the future for more. It's not even safe either as the chain can be hacked, the exchange can be hacked, you can lose the key, etc.
It's speculating really at this point.

pretty sure you can't hack a blockchain, wouldn't it just make a new fork no one would use? and to change the prococols of coins you need a majority of the coins right? might only be a thing with BTC though

Caporegime
It's speculating really at this point.

pretty sure you can't hack a blockchain, wouldn't it just make a new fork no one would use? and to change the prococols of coins you need a majority of the coins right? might only be a thing with BTC though

All you need is 50.1% of the mining power to collude.

You can make a new fork but then that requires everyone to swap over and there's already been several forks. People would then see that the original got hacked and have zero faith in the fork tbh.

All the big BTC miners are in china. They manufacture the miners too. It wouldn't be too hard for them to create a backdoor and take over the full network and kill it.

Anyway back on topic. Crypto is essentially just a pyramid scheme. If you are investing into it you better have an exit plan and not have too much invested.

The people who swear it's legit aren't being rational. There is no regulation it's the wild west and someone already attempted a run on Ethereum last year to hack it.

Caporegime
The problem with crypto isn't that it isn't physical, it's is where is it going? What about the ever increasing energy demands?

Assuming its never 'hacked' to put it simply, it isn't much different to gold.

But I've done well from crypto, and more than half of my savings are crypto now.

Caporegime
The problem with crypto isn't that it isn't physical, it's is where is it going? What about the ever increasing energy demands?

Assuming its never 'hacked' to put it simply, it isn't much different to gold.

But I've done well from crypto, and more than half of my savings are crypto now.

Yeah I can see governments moving to ban mining. That will be done through making it law that ISP's block all mining traffic and crypto related websites.

Forcing people into using vpns and effectively pushing it underground.

Plus all the wall Street folk hate it because it's taking funds away from them.

It's high reward but that's because it's so high risk also. Having half your savings in it is madness unless you are actively trading or you bought into it for nothing / peanuts.

You also have the high transaction costs. It's fees are ridiculously high that only worth paying for large transfers. So it's very different from gold in so many respects.

Gold is a safe investment and always has been. Plus nobody can steal my gold over the internet. They have to break into a bank to do it.

Associate
So the bank has physical access to 'your' gold, but I guess you don't. Pretty comfortable that I'm the only person with full control over my little bit of BTC.
:D

Back
Top Bottom