Marvel Studios: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Associate
While already well explored in the comics, for the first time the vast majority of casual Marvel fans/streaming audience will be introduced to the really wild concept that you could have been stopping the destruction of the universe itself 6 months ago, but now you can't get a bank loan or are harassed on the street by law enforcement because of the colour of your skin. How messed up is that?

Elements of this have already been in the X-men films, but this current set of storylines will ground the issue much more in reality and I'm sure a lot of people will see a reflection of the world around them.

Now, for obvious reasons, systemic racism won't be presented in a 'gritty' realistic way in a mainstream Disney show like this. At least not today. The scene in the most recent episode was quite simplistic and cheesy, to be honest.

But the fact that it happened at all means that Marvel can, in its own way, help highlight issues and provide the catalyst for education on the topic. Thumbs up from me.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
There's no doubt the series has been dumbed down a little and softened since Disney took over. Go and watch Ironman again and see that it has this visceral edginess to it that's missing in all the later films. It will be interesting to see how they deal with Dr. S with its supposed supernatural horror bent to it.

It wasnt really a take over as such, it was audition for Disney. Marvel was virtually bankrupt and if Iron Man failed then it was game over for them. They had sold so much of their character rights to other studios and it was really last chance saloon. Once that became a success and with the muscle Disney brought they just got better and better. Plus they were left alone autonomously and didnt have idiots like Kathleen Kennedy interfering.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Kevin Feige is one of the most successful movie producers ever in 15 short years.

For sure, especially when he is intimate with the source material and is an avid comic book fan himself. This goes a long way especially if he has the freedom to produce movies without too much interference. If i recall correctly he worked as a assistant on the Fox X-Men and Sony Spiderman movies before falling out with Avi Arad. Avi allegedly had dismissed Kevin's input which resulted him being pushed away and ended up with Marvel.

Associate
Apart from the New Cap I thought it was decent enough. Pretty pointless having a new Cap that's a normal man. One of those punches would have broke him in two! Not a fan of Falcon either but I will stick with it for Bucky.

I think the last set of films and story building up to End game was so good and I'm kinda done with the whole thing. Just about all those films I adored and I wish that was the end. None of the stuff coming really excites me.

Caporegime
While already well explored in the comics, for the first time the vast majority of casual Marvel fans/streaming audience will be introduced to the really wild concept that you could have been stopping the destruction of the universe itself 6 months ago, but now you can't get a bank loan or are harassed on the street by law enforcement because of the colour of your skin. How messed up is that?

It was also bloody tedious and not needed, another "woke" addition added! Why did the police suddenly turn up? Why make out that all police are racist just because "black"? It's as bad as that woman in Ghostbusters who screamed " Is it because I'm Black? " which the joke felt flat. Hopefully this doesn't keep cropping up!

Bit worried a about the tinge of wokeness creeping into this show.

Great minds!

Associate
That stuff is not where I had a problem with the scene. My problems was

the fact that these people who would have hoped to have got into the plane and flown it to the other country, also planned to have wing suits to get out if needed. Then they planned a helicopter a perfect distance and height away from where the plane was to be able to wingsuit and land in it. And then they planned to have another helicopter another perfect distance and height from the first helicopter to be able to wingsuit and land in that if the first one exploded. It was like something from the Just Cause video games. There is only so much disbelief I can suspend.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

So in the MCU you are happy to accept the laws of physics and biology can regularly be bent and broken, but struggle with bad guys can plan really, really well?

Soldato
Strong John Wick vibes in this eps.

Also, dancing Zemo was the best 3 seconds of film ever. Loving the dynamic of the group too.

Caporegime
This third episode was a bit meh...slow progression of the storyline.

I thought it was a bit meh, but for the opposite reason - Too much happened and the pacing is really weird.

Zemo was out in seconds, Sharon Carter was re-introduced but is suddenly some sort of super criminal living in a pirate haven (Madripoor) - And she somehow had surveillance on the trio, and saved their life just at the right time.

Caporegime
Had a bit of a middle episode feel. I did like seeing Sharon again though, didn't even twig how crap the consequences of Civil War had been for her.

I did love the little touch of using the Civil War music when Zemo was using the words on Bucky in the cell.

Soldato
I thought it was a bit meh, but for the opposite reason - Too much happened and the pacing is really weird.

Zemo was out in seconds, Sharon Carter was re-introduced but is suddenly some sort of super criminal living in a pirate haven (Madripoor) - And she somehow had surveillance on the trio, and saved their life just at the right time.

Yeah, precisely. It was all too convenient and blazee. I am not feeling a good dynamic either.

Back
Top Bottom