• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Soldato
I picked up the 3060 in the first of the voucher deals Gibbo organised so I've actually tried DLSS now (in Control, only game I have that supports it I think, and even then only via Xbox Game Pass)...

My thoughts frankly haven't changed... Yes it's technically very impressive, no it's not as good as native (1440p native), and frankly I can't see a situation where I was so desperate to run a game that I'd run it with DLSS on just to play it at all.

If/When I go back to continue Control I won't be using DLSS, I'll either have no RT and reasonable framerates or I'll chuck RT on Ultra (it does look shiny, but not game changing imo) and accept the lower framerates, it was around 30 in the bits I tried, unpleasant but just about doable.

Caporegime
As it is right now and for the next year or so, we have no other options though.... DLSS is being added more and more to the point, some developers are going back to add it to older games i.e. avengers.

It's not perfect (mostly just the motion/slight ghosting that comes with it, which is my main complaint) but is damn impressive none the less and allows nvidia users to enjoy the better IQ with ray tracing or cranked up graphical settings, that and the fact it is MUCH better than any other AA method and as a result less image artifacts i.e. less shimmering, less jaggies etc. is a bonus.

Also, it very much comes down to your res. at 4k on my oled, performance dlss is damn good where as if on my 3440x1440 monitor, quality preset is the only one I'll use.

Soldato
The same applies with RT, I mean I'd still buy an nvidia card over AMD if they are priced similarly and with similar raster but if AMD could offer 20% higher raster or 20% cheaper then I'd probably go with AMD as I don't think DLSS is worth spending that much more on currently since not enough games have it.

Once we get into the MCM era for Gpus then techs like DLSS probably won't even be needed anymore as raster should increase by a large amount and techs like RT will be less heavy to implement, just look at the way desktop CPU power has increased with MCM just in the space of 4 years so in a few years time we may have Gpus that are 4~500% more powerful than they are today making even 8K with RT possible without stuff like DLSS.

I'll eat my hat if a gpu is doing 8k 120fps natively with RT maxed out in AAA games within 4 years. Expecting GPU performance to basically triple each generation over the next 4 years it's nuts - so to reach this target the RTX4090 will need to launch within the next 12 months and be 300% faster than the RTX3090 and that's just to start getting towards your lofty forecasts

Last edited:
Associate
I'll eat my hat if a gpu is doing 8k 120fps natively with RT maxed out in AAA games within 4 years. Expecting GPU performance to basically triple each generation over the next 4 years it's nuts - so to reach this target the RTX4090 will need to launch within the next 12 months and be 300% faster than the RTX3090 and that's just to start getting towards your lofty forecasts

I wouldn't want to think of the heat coming off a card that is 300% faster than a 3090, which chucks out a load of heat anyway.....

Associate
Can't wait to see the performance of GPUs if they try and go chiplet route, the performance jump if they can manage to pull it off with little to no drawbacks could be insane. I can see some big changes coming for GPUs in the next few years.

Soldato
I wouldn't want to think of the heat coming off a card that is 300% faster than a 3090, which chucks out a load of heat anyway.....
Compare the multi threaded score of a 7700k to a 5950X to see how MCM has given CPUs a massive boost in just 4 years so the same is certainly possible with GPUs. AMD are already targeting a 100% perf increase on the 6900XT with RDNA 3 which should be out end of this year so nvidia can't sit around on 2 year cycles of +40% perf increases anymore.

Permabanned
i'm quite content with dlss quality in cyberpunk at 1080p with lod bias tweak and sharpening
im actually surprised how good it looks compared to native 720p

Soldato

Hopefully a winter release, GPU/house central heating crossover :cry:. natural gas is scheduled to be banned in UK in next five years so a GPU that can heat the house, ideal. Also speculating on progress would relate to how much smaller then make the nm process in what time scale, AMD & Nvidia are fabless so we're talking about TSMC Samsung Intel etc. advancements perhaps

Associate
Only way I see GPU chiplets offering anywhere close to such an increase without requiring a 2kW power supply (and all the associated fans etc to dispense it), is if they turn the clocks way down.
Slow(er) clocks but wider so everything's running at or below the node's perf/watt sweet point.
Plus clever ideas about cache etc. otherwise the memory and interconnect will blow through most of the power budget.

Soldato
Compare the multi threaded score of a 7700k to a 5950X to see how MCM has given CPUs a massive boost in just 4 years so the same is certainly possible with GPUs. AMD are already targeting a 100% perf increase on the 6900XT with RDNA 3 which should be out end of this year so nvidia can't sit around on 2 year cycles of +40% perf increases anymore.

In some case 100% extra on top of rdna2 numbers wouldn't beat Nvidias current RT numbers - that could be where we end up depending how things shake out where amd has the best Raster performance but as soon as RT or DLSS gets involved Nvidia takes itn

Nvidia has more in the tank with Ampere anyway, they just need Samsung to give them a better node than their ****** 8nm node. Ampere architecture supports up to 16,000 cores, 60% more than the 3090 - you just a node that has enough density to produce it, like TSMC 7nm/5nm

Soldato
Spring/Summer 2022, I'd put money on it. I will welcome being wrong though as I'd love one!! :D
If there's one I've learned the last few years is not to write AMD off, last year they managed to release both CPUs and GPUs on time in their roadmap while also catering for the 2 new consoles and this was during supply shortages and a global pandemic. This year all they have to release is GPUs and a zen 3 refresh while the global situation should have hopefully improved a lot by then.

Associate
I can see the AMD 7000 series being late spring/summer, especially in any quantity. I don't see this as being a bad thing as deep learning and machine learning are fairly new considerations on a gpu design and both Nvidia and AMD are tweaking their cards to make best use of the tech. Indeed we hear more about dlss on nvidia cards than we do about machine learning. It will be interesting to see how dlss and ML will pan out.
Deep learning vs. machine learning - Azure Machine Learning | Microsoft Docs
ML is apparently being used on the PS5 in SPIDER-MAN MILES MORALES in real time

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cyberpunk works great but I remember it being horrible in Metro Exodus when it was first implemented. Not sure if it was fixed because I recently played through this and didn’t have any issues running it without dlss, which is always going to be better if possible.

Associate
I've found it to be a bit of a mixed bag, while 2.0 is a miles better than 1, black ops cold war for example looks really bad in motion. a blurry mess. death stranding its flawless
I think it depends on the game genre, on black ops you will be turning, snapping movements etc while on death stranding you won't notice the blurriness of DLSS because you're not spinning the camera around fast, just walking around slowly.

Still prefer DLSS off and RT off on all games I've tried.

Permabanned
Cyberpunk works great but I remember it being horrible in Metro Exodus when it was first implemented. Not sure if it was fixed because I recently played through this and didn’t have any issues running it without dlss, which is always going to be better if possible.
in cyberpunk, i actually can't stand going back to taa, it is less succesful than dlss when it comes to mask artifacts

with native taa, i couldn't use sharpening, because it would also sharpen all those weird artifacts of the game

with dlss quality, these artifacts are mostly gone and sharpen works much, much better, which adds overall clarity to the image as well

Back
Top Bottom