• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti died, what do you suggest?

Soldato
I don't think that 980 is realistically fixable, it's not impossible but unless you could do it yourself, it wouldn't be worth it really. I'm not sure what batcrap crazy price 980s are going for right now but a few months ago you could get them for around £200 ish, which is still a lot for such an old GPU but I guess it's relative, it's still fairly capable as it goes. I would strongly advise you NOT plug that into your new system though.

Associate
oh no no no. i bought the parts myself.

Case - Planteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight-Core Processor/CPU, without Cooler
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AMD X570 Chipset (Socket AM4) ATX Motherboard
PSU - Corsair HX Series? HX850 ? 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully Modular
RAM - G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB CL18 (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit
SSD - WD SN750 1TB NVME M.2
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler

will arrive in a few days

It's a shame as I wouldnt advise that currently - pre-build is the way to go currently.

Worse case is you dismantle the prebuild and put it back together if you want the build your own feeling.

As you said it will arrive in a few days... I'd maybe just reject the deliveries and get your money back - and look at getting a prebuild with a 3070 in it for about 1400~

Soldato
Even I would advise a prebuilt right now if you want most of a system in one go and that' something I thought I would never say.

Associate
OP
It's a shame as I wouldnt advise that currently - pre-build is the way to go currently.

Worse case is you dismantle the prebuild and put it back together if you want the build your own feeling.

As you said it will arrive in a few days... I'd maybe just reject the deliveries and get your money back - and look at getting a prebuild with a 3070 in it for about 1400~

I spent all week choosing parts and now I'm being told this. This actually hurts to read. I'm already depressed enough my 980ti died but now being told a prebuilt is the better way to go is painful. why you say this to me.

Soldato
It's only better because of the current situation with graphics cards, the reason is because the supplies for system integrators are separate apparently, so they are still getting stock for prebuilts and they are the most cost effective way to get a decent GPU now. It's a really, really bad situation for buying GPU's now, far worse than the shortage of 2017.

Associate
if there was burning, then the 980 Ti is a goner.

I would ask what type of games you play? like your go to game that you play a lot day in day out.

Also what is the highest price you wanna pay for a different gpu?

By identifying which games you play you can get the correct gpu for your needs and not have to buy a super expensive one. Or atleast buy a filler gpu until price normalise, as to when I don't know when.

You can probably find one buy brand new will be expensive. Or not as depending on which gpu.

And I have bought some items on my system that has been used and its been okay (knock on wood).

The only thing that ever failed bought used was an HDD for my archives. (don't buy 2nd hand HDD if its for the use of saving important files) No not those type of files! :cool:

And I would suggest not buying a 2nd hand PSU. ALWAYS BUY BRAND NEW CERTIFIED PSU!

Associate
OP
It's only better because of the current situation with graphics cards, the reason is because the supplies for system integrators are separate apparently, so they are still getting stock for prebuilts and they are the most cost effective way to get a decent GPU now. It's a really, really bad situation for buying GPU's now, far worse than the shortage of 2017.

Yeah but my new system above is good right? I'm happy to rely on being lucky getting a decent second hand GPU.

Soldato
Yeah but my new system above is good right? I'm happy to rely on being lucky getting a decent second hand GPU.

It is pretty good its got more or less of what I have but people are buying pre builts, selling the bits they dont need, keeping the GPU and building it back up. I went for a motherboard bundle because at the time you couldnt get a 5800k. Sold the RAM and the cooler as I didnt need it.

Soldato
It's still unknown to what caused it.

My PC shutdown out of nowhere (like a powercut) and wouldn't power back on. My first thought was the PSU died which should be unlikely, it was a evga 850w.

Its old is whats happened to it. Gfx cards don't last forever something burnt out and shortcircuited by the sound of, you're averse to 2nd hand parts but you're effectively using a 2nd hand or more likely 4th hand part already one thats as old as the hills or you were until it gave up the ghost.

Associate
OP
Its old is whats happened to it. Gfx cards don't last forever something burnt out and shortcircuited by the sound of, you're averse to 2nd hand parts but you're effectively using a 2nd hand or more likely 4th hand part already one thats as old as the hills or you were until it gave up the ghost.

Out of curiosity I went inside my case and the part on the mobo which seemed damaged I flattened the copper so it touches. The left case fan turns on and now I get numbers on the temp device (although wrong reading)
However I still get no signal on monitor.
Is this false hope? I mean my new pc comes tuesday but is this fixable?

Hope it made sense typed from phone

Last edited:
Associate
OP
20210403-045710.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ocuk have been doing some graphic card deals for members. This coming week they plan on doing another. Last week it was a 6700xt. I imagine a 3070 will be on the horizon. Much better than your 980ti.

Soldato
But it wont be in stock lol

It's one of your best chances tbh. The stocks last about 20 mins vs few seconds on other sites.

Look at the other threads. Plenty who have been waiting weeks/months have been able to get a card this way. They also plan to reduce the criteria (post count) for future deals.

Associate
OP
It's one of your best chances tbh. The stocks last about 20 mins vs few seconds on other sites.

Look at the other threads. Plenty who have been waiting weeks/months have been able to get a card this way. They also plan to reduce the criteria (post count) for future deals.

How will I know which time and date it will happen? In desperate

Back
Top Bottom