LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Caporegime
So I've got a 65CX arriving, looking to buy some 4k bluray discs. What's the norm these days, you buy an external bluray player or something for your PC?
The 'norm' nowadays is to stream or download it because physical media is dying a slow death. I really don't see the point in buying physical media because it's not like you are going to watch the same movies constantly and each box takes physical space.

Associate
The 'norm' nowadays is to stream or download it because physical media is dying a slow death. I really don't see the point in buying physical media because it's not like you are going to watch the same movies constantly and each box takes physical space.

I was kind of thinking that how I would want it, I then read 4k blurays are the best quality. I really can't be bothered with boxes, it's so 90s.

I'll google some streaming vs bluray stuff.

Caporegime
I was kind of thinking that how I would want it, I then read 4k blurays are the best quality. I really can't be bothered with boxes, it's so 90s.

I'll google some streaming vs bluray stuff.
Yes, 4k blu rays are the 'best' quality vs streaming, that is clear. no doubt about that. However, you still have to have a blu ray player and own and store the blu rays for films that you may only watch once a year or less. Physical media is going the way of the dodo and Blu Ray will do the same thing DVD's did; die or be replaced by a new format.

Associate
With HDR enabled on PS5, I'm only getting HDR picture mode settings on the LG CX when watching SDR content. Does this mean the settings are wrong for SDR content? Also is there any disadvantage leaving it in Game mode for watching movies? If so, which HDR picture mode is best for movies and TV? ISF Expert Dark doesn't show in the HDR picture settings.

Caporegime
With HDR enabled on PS5, I'm only getting HDR picture mode settings on the LG CX when watching SDR content. Does this mean the settings are wrong for SDR content? Also is there any disadvantage leaving it in Game mode for watching movies? If so, which HDR picture mode is best for movies and TV? ISF Expert Dark doesn't show in the HDR picture settings.
Did you read the settings thread linked above?

Soldato
The Apple is only more convenient for those invested in the Apple ecosystem.
Isn't one of the key appeals of the 4K Apple TV device that Apple sourced 4K streams using it are pretty much double the bit rate of any of the competition? So for anyone seeking a more quality oriented streaming solution, it's the best option?

Caporegime
Isn't one of the key appeals of the 4K Apple TV device that Apple sourced 4K streams using it are pretty much double the bit rate of any of the competition? So for anyone seeking a more quality oriented streaming solution, it's the best option?
Not imo in enough content or quantity to compensate for all of the other things it lacks vs the Nvidia TV Shield.

Soldato
The Nvidia TV Shield is objectively a superior streaming device, plenty of comparisons online. https://www.google.com/search?q=app...rome..69i57.4409j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The Apple is only more convenient for those invested in the Apple ecosystem.

Yeah i have a Nvidia Tv shield and it's a great all round device but if you just want to stream 4K movies then the Apple 4K tv box is hard to beat.

A good comparison between the Apple 4K tv box and 4K Blu-ray can be seen in this video.

https://youtu.be/WbKCZpQN72c

Caporegime
Who's getting the C1/G1?
The G1 is the only one with enough panel technology difference to justify not buying a CX and even then it's nowhere near worth the price difference over current CX offers.

Smart people should buy a CX at the current discounts unless they REALLY need the extra brightness of the G1.

Soldato
OP
The G1 is the only one with enough panel technology difference to justify not buying a CX and even then it's nowhere near worth the price difference over current CX offers.

Smart people should buy a CX at the current discounts unless they REALLY need the extra brightness of the G1.

The CX is out of stock and has been since the start of February over here, stores aren't getting any more stock either. TVs happen to be one of those things here that don't hang around, rarely is there enough stock for sales before the new models come in

Caporegime
The CX is out of stock and has been since the start of February over here, stores aren't getting any more stock either. TVs happen to be one of those things here that don't hang around, rarely is there enough stock for sales before the new models come in
In Europe it's still in stock in most places... not for too long though.

My local store were doing a deal the other week on a 65" CX for £995 (1170 EUR). Ridiculous!

Soldato
OP

My local store were doing a deal the other week on a 65" CX for £995 (1170 EUR). Ridiculous!

that pricing is insane you guys are so lucky, I'm on the other side of the world and just before the 65" CX went out of stock it was still selling for equal to 2500 pounds

Associate
Well well see here. Im back - just ordered the CX 55 incher. Couldent resist the price. And now FINALY we atleast can mitigate that VRR flicker. It was driving me crazy with my 2060S.
Was set on getting the QN90A, but couldent fool myself, even tho it should be the the LCD so far, it still will be lightyears behind OLED, as we who have seen OLED knows so well. And I allways use a dark room for gaming and movies - is their anyother way really :D

So lets hope I get a clean panel, as all I tested had much banding. But that I can live with. The g-sync flicker was the worst tho. But now finaly it will be better. Thanks LG that actually are trying and listening!

Actually hate watching movies and gaming on my POS stopgap Q70T - that will be sent backt to store ASAP.
Cant wait for that PQ you get from OLED. How I miss it!

Soldato
And I allways use a dark room for gaming and movies - is their anyother way really

Don't most people have an ambilight type setup, to reduce eye stress (I couldn't find ps's earlier post on this)
the divisive comment, also, motivated me to find earlier posted article https://www.nature.com/articles/lsa2017168 - facts.

CR and ACR
High CR is a critical requirement for achieving supreme image quality. OLEDs are emissive, so, in theory, their CR could approach infinity to one. However, this is true only under dark ambient conditions. In most cases, ambient light is inevitable. Therefore, for practical applications, a more meaningful parameter, called the ACR, should be considered
As expected, OLEDs have a much higher ACR in the low illuminance region (dark room) but drop sharply as ambient light gets brighter. At 63 lux, OLEDs have the same ACR as LCDs. Beyond 63 lux, LCDs take over. In many countries, 60 lux is the typical lighting condition in a family living room. This implies that LCDs have a higher ACR when the ambient light is brighter than 60 lux, such as in office lighting (320–500 lux) and a living room with the window shades or curtain open. Please note that, in our simulation, we used the real peak brightness of LCDs (1200 nits) and OLEDs (600 nits).

Associate

That seems awfully low for a new 65 CX, I paid £1600 a few days ago with lots of discounts.

Back
Top Bottom