Replacing a fluorescent light in the kitchen

Commissario
Over the last couple of months, I've replaced the mishmash of generic bulbs we had around the house with Hue and the only room left to do is the kitchen.

We currently have a 1500mm fluorescent which gives good light without any patchiness and I was thinking of replacing it with a spotlight bar, something like this.

At the moment, the light gets switched on when it gets dark and it's just left on for hours until the last person goes to bed. My plan is to use a Hue motion sensor and program it all so that the light comes on with movement and goes off when there's been no motion for five minutes. This will be similar to how I have my bulbs in the hallway and landing, except they go off after 45 seconds.

Has anyone done this sort of thing, do you think the unit I've suggested along with Hue GU10 ambient white bulbs will be sufficient?

Commissario
OP
Those spot bars are awful, you’ll get loads of patchy light and annoying shadows.
That's what I was worried about - What would you suggest? It's a very old, small kitchen so lighters under cupboards and that sort of thing aren't really practical. It needs to be something on the ceiling that I can control through HomeKit.

Commissario
OP
19W total, I don't think that'll be bright enough.

Same, that's even dimmer.

Probably bright enough and would give enough cover.

But none of the above seem to be HomeKit compatible.

You need a mix of lights in a kitchen. We have 4.
A single fluorescent has always done what we want but you'd be horrified by our kitchen in general.

The round Hue light I linked looks as though it'll do what I want - Blanket coverage with no gaps, decent brightness and of course, it's HomeKit compatible.

Soldato
Does leaving the light on really matter with led lighting? They draw so little power I dont even think about it. Before we switched the bulbs in the kitchen they were sucking 320w, now its 40w.

Soldato
That Hue light is going to have just over half of the output your existing 5' fluorescent has and only saves about 20 Watts.

If you left that fluorescent on for 8 hours a day it'll take about 7.5 years for it to cost as much as the Hue's purchase price. If you add the cost of running the Hue it'll be dead well before you break even.

You may want it, but don't pretend that it's to save money.

Commissario
OP
That Hue light is going to have just over half of the output your existing 5' fluorescent has and only saves about 20 Watts.
This was a genuine concern but it arrived today and before it's installed properly, I assembled it and held it up at ceiling height so my wife could compare the brightness of this light and the fluorescent.

It took a while of playing around and changing the temperature of the Hue fitting but once we got it right so she could do a meaningful comparison her conclusion was that it's brighter. Looking at the spec of the two lights, you're right, it shouldn't be but it's noticeable and I can't explain it.

Commissario
OP
It's all done and the light is brighter, definitely.

However, what's not so good is that because the light source was long, we're finding that when standing at the sink, we're casting a shadow onto the sink. That wasn't the case before due to the length of the tube but now the light source is that much further back.

I think I'm going to have to add a second light source above the sink. Not sure what or how yet.

Back
Top Bottom