Anything we can do about this?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So I live in a nice block of flats on a nice quiet road, and we've recently had a a guy, or two, whom have started using our private car park as a backdrop for their **** Ebay motors that should be scrapped rather than sold. The cars are in various states of damage, some worse than others and some that clearly shouldn't be on the road.

Also, looking at their selling history they seem to relist the same motors a few times even if they've apparently sold. I'm sensing something dodgy is happening but I'm not sure what.

Is there anything we could realistically do? Trading standards for example?

Here's a prime example of the sort of crap I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-SUZ...TROL-MANUAL-BLUE-SALVAGE-DAMAGED/224408312647

The sellers in question:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fred-r_8/m.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/anhu9502/m.html

*Inb4 Acme says lol High Wycombe. :D

Soldato
How private is it? Signposted? If it's signposted as private road/car-park with parking rules stipulated (i.e. explicitly states: "this car park is for use of residents and visitors only" for example") then unless they're coming to visit a resident then they shouldn't be there. It'd be for the land-owner to take action against though so ultimately the end result is boxing stance.

Outside of it looking like another dodgy-repair trader, dealers listing cars that have been sold is a common tactic to get somebody on the phone to them "but sir we do have THIS one in at a great price".

Soldato
You want someone to do something about a guy driving onto the private parking area, taking a picture and moving on?

If they're not stashing their wrecks in your parking bays they're not causing a real problem.

I did have someone stuffing their car in my marked parking bay as if it was theirs (for some weeks) under some interesting assumptions of it being ok since I wasn't in it and had to talk to them but rolling on and rolling off shouldn't be something to get wound up about.

Man of Honour
Why does it matter?

It presumably matters to him because he's the one paying perhaps several grand in service charges a year to keep things like the carpark maintained and he probably isn't that impressed with people freeloading. So, it's not fair to say it doesn't matter.

It's a bit like somebody using your drive for photos of their car - does it matter? Of course it does. It's the same concept, in a block of flats with a service charge etc the carpark is your private drive.

Soldato
It presumably matters to him because he's the one paying perhaps several grand in service charges a year to keep things like the carpark maintained and he probably isn't that impressed with people freeloading. So, it's not fair to say it doesn't matter.

It's a bit like somebody using your drive for photos of their car - does it matter? Of course it does. It's the same concept, in a block of flats with a service charge etc the carpark is your private drive.
This is a more than fair point.

Soldato
In all seriousness I can see three issues here.

• Your concern that they are no trading legally
  • Their use of you're private car park
  • Them driving unroadworthy vehicles on the highway
I don't think you can do anything about issue number 1, selling damaged cars on ebay is perfectly legal. Relisting of sold items is indeed odd, but not illegal. I can imagine they will often sell a car only to find the seller backs out when they realise how much it will cost to transport or repair.

Issue no2, the use of the car park is probably a civil matter. In an ideal world you'd contact whoever manages the building. They'd send a cease and desist letter and the problem would stop. But in reality getting the buildings company to send the letter (even iif you can find a physical address for them) will be hard work. And it will probably be ignored.

Issue no3 is probably your best angle of attack. Presumably they're having to drive these vehicles on the road. If you're persistent in reporting you may find the police will come out and might catch them in the act.

Associate
looks like there probably ex copart vehicles bought from salvage auctions and flipped this will start to be on the rise . as soon as salvage auctions went public.

they must store them somewhere and even though they say on some of the auctions drive away a lot look very risky:(

Back
Top Bottom