Home server suggestions/question!

Soldato
SSD swaps are reasonably simple, SSD speed is slightly more complex, it depends on what you are running in docker/VM along with the cache pool element. Some of us have split pools as mechanical drives are much more suited to heavy data dumping than NAND (endurance/space), but for docker/VM use, an SSD is much more useful. In time where multiple data pools are a thing, that’s when it’s going to get really fun. Don’t forget you can dedicate individual drives to something via the unassigned devices plugin if you wanted to give a VM total control over a drive.

Associate
Some of us have split pools as mechanical drives are much more suited to heavy data dumping than NAND (endurance/space), but for docker/VM use, an SSD is much more useful.

See this is where I think I need to re-configure things. Large transfers go to my SSD, then the mover invokes in the evening... though more often than not, the transfer fills the SSD then slows right down.

There's a few things I need to tinker with actually!

Soldato
Do you use a docker for password management? I've been using 1Password for years so I can imagine moving away from this being a nightmare.

I do. Self hosted Bitwarden docker. I was a 1Password user prior to this too. Migration was as simple as an export from 1Password and import into Bitwarden. Took about five minutes from memory. 2FA on the Bitwarden instance was easy to set up, I already had Nginx Proxy Manager configured and then just switched browser plugins from 1Password to Bitwarden. Less bother all around than you might think.

Soldato
6.9 was the interim step to multiple data pools, it gave us multiple cache pools, depending how you use UnRAID, that may or may not be significant to how you work. For example if you have high IO VM's (SAB/get on a fast connection doing RAR/PAR work for example) and are dumping data from the LAN as fast as you can, especially using a relatively cheap 2.5Gb set-up or a 10Gb set-up, then NAND may still be the go-to option, but big NAND and especially redundant big NAND gets expensive quite quickly (think Intel DC cards or rebranded versions), redundant high endurance big NAND generally is even more expensive. If you just want to dump data without it hitting the VM/docker performance, a mechanical cache pool for certain shares can work out a lot better, or split the VM/Docker side to another NAND based drive, you could also pass through a full SSD to a 'heavy' VM if needs be, it just depends on what your usage scenario is and what you have spare. Longer term multiple pools will be a game changer.

Last edited:
Associate
I do. Self hosted Bitwarden docker. I was a 1Password user prior to this too. Migration was as simple as an export from 1Password and import into Bitwarden. Took about five minutes from memory. 2FA on the Bitwarden instance was easy to set up, I already had Nginx Proxy Manager configured and then just switched browser plugins from 1Password to Bitwarden. Less bother all around than you might think.

Thanks I’ll have a look at that.

Back
Top Bottom