Speeding n Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
And why speed? Because it's easy to prove.

There are lot of other far more dangerous traits of drivers, but difficult to prove.
Like other posters, what bugs me is speed cameras don't catch truly bad or unsafe driving, which almost everyone on here would support. It's a blunt instrument which ticks the "something must be done" box for the Daily Mail brigade.
So these consecutive posts have basically addressed each other, speeding is pursued by the law because it's relatively objectives as opposed to subjective. "driving without due care and attention?" - who defines this? "doing 60 in a 50" - open and shut case. And to be honest, that's kind of how it should be, if you get done for speeding you have NOBODY to blame but yourself, there is no PC plod saying you pulled out in front of someone too quick, it's very simple, the limit for the road was X and you were tracked by calibrated equipment doing X+10. Cough up and behave differently next time.

Soldato
Regarding the deterioration of rural roads...conversely, I found a fantastic stretch of B-road which I try to go down on my regular Sunday drives. One day I found it closed, then the next week, it had reopened and they had resurfaced the entire length of it (not just tar and chip, the whole thing had been properly resurfaced). Kinda weird, but now definitely one of my favourite bits of road.

Soldato
So these consecutive posts have basically addressed each other, speeding is pursued by the law because it's relatively objectives as opposed to subjective. "driving without due care and attention?" - who defines this? "doing 60 in a 50" - open and shut case. And to be honest, that's kind of how it should be, if you get done for speeding you have NOBODY to blame but yourself, there is no PC plod saying you pulled out in front of someone too quick, it's very simple, the limit for the road was X and you were tracked by calibrated equipment doing X+10. Cough up and behave differently next time.

It is annoying that they can send out loads of police to look for speeders when more serious stuff isn't even being investigated though. Easy for the stats I guess.

If you look on the crime map it's full of things like burglary and car thefts which are opened and then shut straight away with "no suspect identified". They don't even bother.

Soldato
The uninsured chavs speeding around on dirt bikes and quads bug me more.
Shame the Police don’t put more effort into this.
Thing is though they have no money so all they can really do is confiscate there stolen vehicle. Easy come easy go.

To be fair though it would be an utter free for all if speed limits didn’t exist.
Modern vehicles are too fast for UK roads.
Anyone remember the superbike craze of the late 90s early 2000s?

Last edited:
Soldato

I'll behave how I like.

Soldato
The uninsured chavs speeding around on dirt bikes and quads bug me more.
Shame the Police don’t put more effort into this.
Thing is though they have no money so all they can really do is confiscate there stolen vehicle. Easy come easy go.

To be fair though it would be an utter free for all if speed limits didn’t exist.
Modern vehicles are too fast for UK roads.
Anyone remember the superbike craze of the late 90s early 2000s?

There are no speed limits in much of the Isle of Man. But you can still get done for being dangerous and the punishment for that is much harsher than in the rest of the UK afaik. The focus is on dangerous drivers rather than some number, which is a much better way of doing it.

Soldato
There are no speed limits in much of the Isle of Man. But you can still get done for being dangerous and the punishment for that is much harsher than in the rest of the UK afaik. The focus is on dangerous drivers rather than some number, which is a much better way of doing it.

It would take thousands of officers to enforce it.
IOM is a small island and everyone knows each other.

Associate

Who is blaming anyone for being caught? I have a clean license thanks, despite driving 100000 miles a year or more. I just don't think the police should abrogate their responsibilty to prosecute other crimes that all of us witness almost daily on our roads just because they are "subjective" in your words. It just reduces my respect for the police to an even lower level than it already might be and to be frank, after the last few years, that respect is almost nil.

Soldato
Modern vehicles are too fast for UK roads
Indeed, you get a sense of the frustration supercar owners have when you watch Harry’s Garage reviews of the latest 600-800bhp hyper rocket.
There is an NSL section just outside of Burford where he always floors it - noise, drama, maybe a gear change and 1.5 seconds later it’s all over cause he’s already over the speed limit.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Regarding the deterioration of rural roads...conversely, I found a fantastic stretch of B-road which I try to go down on my regular Sunday drives. One day I found it closed, then the next week, it had reopened and they had resurfaced the entire length of it (not just tar and chip, the whole thing had been properly resurfaced). Kinda weird, but now definitely one of my favourite bits of road.

Many years ago now there was a section of road that was clearly always going to be an awesome road but the camber was fairly extreme and the surface was always shoddy. Then they redid the entire road - superelevation instead of camber on the bends, fantastic road surface, really nice clear road markings and signs. Amazing - I had years of tearing it down there in various cars. Now it is a 50 limit the whole way except for one bit that locals have successfully campaigned for the limit to be 20. 20! FFS...

Soldato
20mph outside anything but a tight housing estate is stupid. If kids are playing in the middle of an open road then the parents have issues.

Soldato
Who is blaming anyone for being caught? I have a clean license thanks, despite driving 100000 miles a year or more. I just don't think the police should abrogate their responsibilty to prosecute other crimes that all of us witness almost daily on our roads just because they are "subjective" in your words. It just reduces my respect for the police to an even lower level than it already might be and to be frank, after the last few years, that respect is almost nil.
Impressive, you a taxi driver? 100,000 miles a year must cost a fortune on fuel:D.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A few thoughts:
- Pretty much all of the roads that I'm normally on nowadays have so much traffic, that overtaking is simply pointless, as there's just another traffic jam sat just further up the road
- Speed cameras are frankly dead easy to get rid of, it's just that most people haven't realised it. All we need to do is actually KEEP to the limit for a few months, and it would be uneconomical to keep running them. They'd soon get pulled, thus allowing the "odd" spot of fun
- Speeding in town? Again, I'm amazed that most of the driving public act just like lemmings, with a seeming inability to actually keep to the speed limit. I wouldn't mind but it rarely gets you anywhere faster, as again, there's just another jam or set of traffic lights further up the road
- Fun on the road? I just don't buy the need for a genuinely fast car anymore. Our family car is a BM 330i. Hardly ever gets the chance to actually stretch it's legs. Hence why I've got an MX5 as my 2nd/toy car, as it's actually fun at realistic road speeds

Seriously chaps, this really is just a mindset issue. Take a chill pill, stop getting involved in traffic light grand prix, keep to the speed limit and you'll never again have to worry about speed cameras, whilst still getting where you're going just as fast, for most of your journeys.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I wish they would punish bad driving more rather than aware drivers that go a bit faster in conditions that perfectly justify and decrease the risk of higher speed. I drove on the M25 recently, stayed on the left lane just minding my business at 70mph GPS indicate speed on cruise control for good 45 min in the left lane, meanwhile undertook (is it undertaking though?) some middle lane hoggers. One nearly went into me, as someone was overtaking them and changed back to middle lane fairly normally with loads of room. I wonder in that instance if there was an accident who would be at fault, me who has stayed in the same lane for a longer period of time making progress or the hogger who is already breaking the law by hogging the lane whilst left was clear?

I think all the average speed BS along with multiple speed cameras is dangerous, most people constantly take their eyes off the road to check every few min for a speed camera. It makes you lose concertation and increases the fatigue... I think its time that they adjusted the law to capabilities of modern vehicles. I might have just spent too much time on European motorways, the quality of driving is on a different level...

Soldato
I reckon Waze is the solution tbh. Outside of built up areas, I exceed the limits by a fairly significant margin, and have been for the last 10 years or so. I've got a clean license in the UK, and have been caught once in France and once here. Neither time was when I was using Waze. I have it running as a matter of course now.

Soldato
A few thoughts:
- Pretty much all of the roads that I'm normally on nowadays have so much traffic, that overtaking is simply pointless, as there's just another traffic jam sat just further up the road
- Speed cameras are frankly dead easy to get rid of, it's just that most people haven't realised it. All we need to do is actually KEEP to the limit for a few months, and it would be uneconomical to keep running them. They'd soon get pulled, thus allowing the "odd" spot of fun
- Speeding in town? Again, I'm amazed that most of the driving public act just like lemmings, with a seeming inability to actually keep to the speed limit. I wouldn't mind but it rarely gets you anywhere faster, as again, there's just another jam or set of traffic lights further up the road
- Fun on the road? I just don't buy the need for a genuinely fast car anymore. Our family car is a BM 330i. Hardly ever gets the chance to actually stretch it's legs. Hence why I've got an MX5 as my 2nd/toy car, as it's actually fun at realistic road speeds

Seriously chaps, this really is just a mindset issue. Take a chill pill, stop getting involved in traffic light grand prix, keep to the speed limit and you'll never again have to worry about speed cameras, whilst still getting where you're going just as fast, for most of your journeys.
Exactly how I see it all. Have a sensible car for the road and if you're into cars get yourself a track car, lot of my mates that aren't exactly short of money just use things like old Fiestas that way they're basically disposable and you can actually abuse it on track rather than worrying about it. FWD so you can make the most of cheap winter track days.
When I started taking my Mazda RX8 on track all the urges to do anything on the roads was gone. Since then I just drive like miss daisy on the roads so much less stressful as well it's amazing the difference just don't let anything get you angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom