What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Prometheus and Covenant are awful they make no sense what so ever. I'll treat the Dark Horse comics as cannon way before the Ridley Scott sequels. Great director but shoddy story writer. JJ Abrahams (sp?) is the same.
Two of the most stupid and cretinous films I've ever seen. I've re-watched both purely to point and laugh.

Such a sad way to **** all over a much-loved franchise.

Soldato
And this was my only point. If the viewer didn't care about Dredd they might have enjoyed it more. The use of smilies was because it was only a small point that I don't even particularly care about that, as I said, I just found quite interesting in the discussion of if it was a good film or not brought on by a 'Dredd fans' amazement that someone could enjoy one more than the other. Clearly from your reactions you care a lot and my apologies if I've upset you, it honestly wasn't my intention, just thought it an interesting discussion for which I still feel I made a valid point, the enjoyment is not affected by the removal of his helmet in any way at all for someone that didn't know about Dredd, but clearly does for those that do. That was it.

:)

Erm... okay? :)

Yeah, no.

Pet Northerner
Don

No I don't, but I'll check it out.

Heat just happens to be my favourite film, I fell in love with it back when I was 18 or so (2002 ish) which got me into heist movies. I found thief not too long after and I tend to watch both of them a few times a year.

Man of Honour
Chinatown

For some reason nobody except film buffs ever talks about this film... for one that’s so well regarded... how come I’ve never seen it? It was never on TV etc...

Watchable mystery affair although aspects of the plot have been reused / spoofed elsewhere so it didn’t feel ‘fresh’ to me at all. It did keep me guessing so it succeeded at what it did.

Maybe ‘more important’ than it is watchable though?

7.5/10

Oh as a fun bonus, from knowing about this film in passing for some reason I always thought it had Dan Aykroyd in it...?! I think as a younger person, I must have seen the following posters and confused the actors in my mind :o

K8q9iZdm.jpg

uEtZAYLm.jpg

:o :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’m not sure if this will catch on or not (and it shouldn’t ever be mandatory) but I do think the thread would be a little more ‘colourful’ with posters of the films so I’m going to start posting them with reviews.... although maybe the beauty of the thread is that it requires ultra low input...! Also I’ve clearly found a photo of an old poster so not a great start :D

Basic Instinct

QBv9hjLm.jpg

A very strange film this... it is actually far raunchier than I expected and perhaps one of the raunchiest films I’ve seen. Unfortunately, Michael Douglas is absolutely gross to the beauty on offer... licking their faces and necks... it’s like watching a dog eat it’s dinner and made me feel quite uncomfortable at moments :p

The film itself is OK and mildly intriguing but Douglass’s character is so unbelievably hopeless / reckless that you can’t ever really feel compassion for him.

6.5/10

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Godzilla vs. Kong

Was pretty much what you'd expect, maybe a bit more interesting... though in a weeks time if you've asked me about movies I've watched recently I'll probably have entirely forgotten about it, didn't capture my attention much.

Pretty much my thoughts too, It just about manages a 6/10, and that's for the CGI mostly.

Watched Threads last night. Think it was mentioned in this thread a while back. Bloody hell/10. :eek:

Soldato
Watched Threads last night. Think it was mentioned in this thread a while back. Bloody hell/10. :eek:

Imagine watching it in 1984 when it came out. Not only were we still in the cold war era, we were a much less sophisticated audience where the possibility of nuclear war was always there in the background. To be presented with this realistic docu-drama style was terrifying. It wasn't presented as fiction, it was presented as "this is what could happen next month, next week, or tomorrow".

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah I was only 4 when it came out and only heard about it recently. Can't imagine what it must have been like in 1984. :eek:

Soldato
The Mauritanian - 8/10

Excellent watch. Jodie Foster still seems a bit smarmy and like she's "doing acting" but this is a crazy, awful story. Well worth a watch, Kevin MacDonald is an excellent director.

Back
Top Bottom