Worktop laminate/real wood uk for custom desk top

Soldato
Hi guys

I've been looking for a few days and checked the usual DIY shops and furniture building companies.

Anyone done this recently as I'm looking for something about 3m in length and 70-80cm width
Prefer delivery

Caporegime
Another vote for worktop express. Got a lovely dark walnut laminate top for my desk. Very reasonable price and bespoke option for cable cutouts etc. Get the desk, stick 4 IKEA legs on and jobs a good’un.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Isn't 600mm too shallow?
Nearly all worktops come in 600mm and 900mm depths (i.e. for breakfast bars). My desk is a length of breakfast bar that I had left over from a kitchen refit (15 years ago) cut down to 800mm depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
600mm with a mounted monitor is pretty decent.

The real struggle for worktops is when you want to floating mount against a corner when the walls aren't plumb. It's gonna be a head scratcher for a while for me before I finally pluck the courage to try it out.

Associate
Hi guys

I've been looking for a few days and checked the usual DIY shops and furniture building companies.

Anyone done this recently as I'm looking for something about 3m in length and 70-80cm width
Prefer delivery

Did this im my old house when my office was in a cement shed in the garden.

Went to B&Q and they often have offcuts do kitchen worktops. I got a really nice one and they just took a tenner for it.

made a simple timber frame and cut the worktop to suit and all in I had a custom fit, deep desk for less than £50 all in.

sure it took an afternoon to get it all made up but in the end it was sturdier and bigger than anything I could have bought for 3 times the money.

Alternatively if you are not comfortable building a frame then try picking up a second hand desk with metal frame and just replacing the top with again an offcut from kitchen or DIY place, might be a bit more expensive depending on the second hand desk but you will get something thats tailored to your room.

Soldato
To put your pointy elbows on the desk + mug of (isolated) coffee 600's a bit shallow ;

if you are not going 2nd hand and want solid wood - beech ply is an, as strong, attractive option (earlier linked threads)

Soldato
Did this im my old house when my office was in a cement shed in the garden.

Went to B&Q and they often have offcuts do kitchen worktops. I got a really nice one and they just took a tenner for it.

made a simple timber frame and cut the worktop to suit and all in I had a custom fit, deep desk for less than £50 all in.

sure it took an afternoon to get it all made up but in the end it was sturdier and bigger than anything I could have bought for 3 times the money.

Alternatively if you are not comfortable building a frame then try picking up a second hand desk with metal frame and just replacing the top with again an offcut from kitchen or DIY place, might be a bit more expensive depending on the second hand desk but you will get something thats tailored to your room.
Yep as regards B&Q they do an I nstore cutting service for lenth/width so often have off cuts, I got my solid kitchen top there (remember having fun cutting hole for ceramic hob)

Man of Honour
I posted about this yesterday.

Finally got my epic desk set-up in place, really chuffed.

This is a 250cm long 88cm deep oak worktop, with two 55cm kitchen cabinets supporting the front. I’ve then installed four legs across the rear, where there’s also 6 plugs and an Ethernet point.

rmPZfpn.jpg

Just need the mega monitor....

Also, my first go at speed test was 546 megs a sec :D
Cheers mate.

The worktop was from Worktop Express. There are loads of options but mine was a simple Oak job. I had to buy it 3m long to get it 96cm wide, then I trimmed it down to my desired specifications (they can do this for you with their 'bespoke tool').

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/solid-wood-worktops

The cabinets were from Better Kitchens. Again, loads of options to choose from but these were 'Moderna' 3 draw soft close ones.

https://www.betterkitchens.co.uk/

The legs at the rear were from Amazon and I'm sure there's loads of alternatives. You want to make sure the leg height is adjustable to match the height of the worktop (4cm) plus the cabinets (74cm). So it's quite a tall desk at 78cm.

All in it was £600-£650.

Oh a word of warning, the worktop is shockingly heavy. Somewhere close to 100kg I reckon, if not more, so beware!

It is a glorious and luxurious depth. Any deeper and it would look silly I think and I can only get away with it because I'm fortunate enough to have room in my man cave. Because it's deeper than the cabinets (which are only ~60cm deep IIRC), there are gaps at the sides where the depth of worktop extends beyond the cabinets, but it's unnoticeable with the desk placement and actually quite convenient for cables and my 2nd router (which is sat down below the desk).

edit: @shaank this was the desk set-up that you inspired me to sort, cheers! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
what do the legs look like ?

as you say, solid hardwood tops are heavy, and, all the kitchen cabinets I've seen wouldn't have sufficient structural bracing.

Soldato
I really could have used that bespoke cutting on workshop express tbh, doing this cutout with a drill was frustrating

Screenshot-20210404-091520-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Man of Honour
what do the legs look like ?

as you say, solid hardwood tops are heavy, and, all the kitchen cabinets I've seen wouldn't have sufficient structural bracing.
Like this:

k7TxlRN.jpg

The cabinets I bought held the weight of the worktop just fine although they were not ‘super cheap’ ones at ~£160 each.

Obviously it would need bonus legs with my chosen depth as otherwise the monitor and the pc would have caused the whole thing to fall off :p

Do excuse the wires and the unfinished plug sockets, both which are being sorted with cable trays and a plasterer/decorator!

Edit: I think you could potentially add more support by adding a third cabinet... maybe a snack/beer fridge? :p

Edit 2: As should be obvious, assembling something like this cannot be done with one person because of the weight (and it’s distribution) plus the awkward size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom