Recommendations upgrade

Associate
Hello internet friends!

I'm a bit troubled with my PC and I need your advice.

I am playing warzone and my fps and game performance is under expected. With my fps in between 70 and 110. The settings are mostly high with rtx off shadows low and render resolution 100 (1080p)

I have used some monitoring tools to see what is the issue. My gpu is using about 30-60% stress and cpu 90-100%. Thermal throttling is not an issue my entire pc never gets past 62C

I have also done a clean windows reinstall with all drivers up to date and mobo bios update to latest version

My current configuration is:
- Corsair 220T with 2 intake fans in front, one outake on top and one in the back
- aio Corsair h115i Pro
- psu corsair TX650m
- mobo asus rog strix 370-f
- ram 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz forza
- cpu i5 8600k overclocked to 5ghz
- gpu rtx 3080 gigabyte oc
- 2tb nvme ssd WD Black
- monitor asus 24" 1080p 144hz

Now the troubling part. I was considering upgrading cpu. But checking benchmarks in between i5 8600k, i7 9700k and i9 9900k and the differences are too low 5-6%. Is it worth? It should I get new mobo and 10gen cpu

Also heard from someone that changing the monitor from 1080 to a 2k monitor will move the game stress from cpu to gpu.

Or should I ditch the blue guys and go for red guys in terms of cpu?

Associate
Thank you for all that information, you have identified for yourself that the cpu is bottlenecking the GPU. I understand that the reviews of the intel 11th gen should go live tomorrow (30/3), if you look those up on the net, usual google search & youtube search then it will give you a clearer idea of whether to go intel or AMD. What budget do you have for the cpu upgrade that you are considering?
Yes higher resolution moves more of the bottleneck to the gpu, but it doesn't mean that there might not still be one.
The nvidia cards are known to suffer more from a bottleneck than AMD from a weaker cpu. https://youtu.be/G03fzsYUNDU?t=789

Associate
OP
I was considering a max budget of 500gbp. But going for newer gen I will need to replace the motherboard too.

I have spent this winter quite a lot for case, psu, aio and gpu.

Associate
To offset the cost, you could sell your old board and CPU, and this would be a good gaming upgrade. Note the 5600 X is minutely slower than the 5800X in gaming.

Also your PSU may be a tad low for an RTX 3080, its recommended you go 850 watts for a good safety margin.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £520.44 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Warzone likes cores / threads so a 9900k will be a good upgrade. You might want to consider a stronger psu though as a 9900k will pull more power and coupled with the 3080 a 650w unit is cutting it close.

Another option would be to upgrade your monitor to 1440p as that will take some load off the CPU although you will still have some bottleneck.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So as far as you told me is to

1. Switch to Amd build with around 520 cost minus 100-150 cashback from the old components (which should cover the expense of a new psu) so sadly my current psu is just 2 months old so can go to resell aswell

2. Switch to 9900k with around 300gbp, monitor around 200gbp for 2k 144hz. And psu.

3. Wait for the tests on the new 11gen to see if the price is worth the buy. Anyway gen 10 is out of the calculation is either latest gen with mobo or just cpu. Checked online in between flagship gen 9 and flagship gen 10 and the differences are too low to excuse the mobo upgrade.

Soldato
2. Switch to 9900k with around 300gbp, monitor around 200gbp for 2k 144hz. And psu.

3. Wait for the tests on the new 11gen to see if the price is worth the buy. Anyway gen 10 is out of the calculation is either latest gen with mobo or just cpu. Checked online in between flagship gen 9 and flagship gen 10 and the differences are too low to excuse the mobo upgrade.
New PSU is pretty much needed no matter what else is updated.
3080 is now bottlenecked hard by both CPU and low medieval resolution.
Lowering CPU bottleneck by higher performance CPU, or increasing resolution to put more work on GPU per frame will both increase its power draw.
And that card is capable to 500W transients, which would stress such mid level PSU.

Rocket Lake won't bring anything new for gaming over 6th gen Skylake rebrands.
Backporting architecture designed for 10nm node for five years old 14nm simply left performance increases on the "cutting room floor".
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/19

Associate
So as far as you told me is to

1. Switch to Amd build with around 520 cost minus 100-150 cashback from the old components (which should cover the expense of a new psu) so sadly my current psu is just 2 months old so can go to resell aswell

AMD 5600X is the most up to date CPU. The B550 chipset, is PCI-E 4 to match your RTX 3800. Yes, second hand parts sell for OK money at present.

Intel 9900K feels like a backward step to me. Cheapest option, but backward. Plus your PCI-E Bus remains PCI-E 3. And a bottle neck may remain as its a minor upgrade.

Rocket Lake 11 series reviews are plain bad. Unless the samples bought are poor ones, I would not bother getting AND it draws lots of watts (11700K).

Personally, I went from a 6700K from intel to a 5600X from AMD and it was a great IPC improvement. Clocks out of box up to 4.6 GHz. But you can overclock. I have no need to do so.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What PSU would you suggest?
option 1 Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W
option 2 Corsair RM750 80 Plust Gold

I have decided my upgrade path is going to be PSU > Monitor > CPU&MOBO

And I wont sell the old parts I could build a secondary pc for my brother, his laptop is growing old, from my old parts I have already cpu,mobo, psu, 500gb sata ssd, 2tb sshd, it just needs ram GPU and case, he doesn't need high end pc for league of legends and minecraft.

I will be hunting for deals, any advices if any are coming up this spring?

Associate
With the 30xx you have I'd suggest the 850W psu, just because lol
If going CPU and mobo it's hard to recommend intel 11xxx atm AMD have some solid choices but stocks are hard to come by.
Personally I'm waiting til later in the year for the newer intel stuff.
Intel 10xxx is an option if you're not counting pcie 4 atm, but as a rule go for your budget and you'll still be good for years.

Associate
OP
That's why I asked about which PSU you recommend, 10 years ago I bought a Seasonic 630w non-modular, lasted me 4 years until I donated it to a friend who still uses it right now with little maintenance, on the other hand my old PSU corsair CX600 started to do fain noises after 2 years(hence the upgrade to RM650)

And about monitors I am undecided yet, I would be looking at some 27'' 2k 144hz

Extremely useful link Dwarfy, thank you

Associate
OP
Ok so I have got a samsung 2k 144hz monitor, my fps now in warzone never drops under 100, it somewhere in between 100 and 140, I have ordered already the Seasonic psu, and decided to go for ryzen 5 5600x, but I am undecided what motherboard to take, B550 or X570 chipset

Associate
B550 less PCI-E 4, but cheaper than top X570 boards. X570 more PCI-4 bandwidth and an annoying fan on the southbridge. People argue the fans rarely spin up, however. B550 needs no fan on the southbridge...and B550 has PCI-4 for your GPU and NVME M2 like a 980 Pro from Samsung.

I have used two B550 boards, the one in my signature and an MSI B550 Mag. Both seem good to me. Essentially most boards are the same in performance with the same chipset, it is features and good VRM you pay for. With my board you get blue tooth and wi-fi 6 out the box.

Associate
OP
So I have upgraded everything. Installed. Updated. Activated the new thingy called resizable bar and still I get 100-120fps with lows of 80.

The game is mostly on high settings. Rtx off. Full screen 1440p. Both CPU and GPU seem to scale up and down in usage in same time with same percentage. I have disabled every overlay and I'm still unpleased with the performance. I don't get how others play with stable 150fps

Associate
OP
Thank you for the video. Changed the worker count and the performance improved 120-150 with lows of 105. And now seems like is no longer crashing with the common dev error direct crash

Back
Top Bottom