I30N Fastback insurance.

Associate
isn't it all down to claims statistics?

Comparing the I30N vs a 1.0 Civic.

The I30N is still a pretty new car, so there's less on the road and newer (arguably we all look after a 1 year old car way more than a 10 year old one). It's also not cheap (sub 5k) 2nd hand, so out of the hands of some/most youngsters and early drivers. It's also a new model with no historic claims data. All means it's statistically less risky than a 1.0 Civic that that could well be a likely 1st car for a lot of kids, and have thousands of insurance claims going back many years. (Could you still argue that Hyundai is a less "desirable" brand than Honda too? less likely to get stolen/keyed/etc? many moons ago I had a Hyundai Coupe and I think that was often overlooked due to the "wrong" H badge)

As the I30N ages and drops in value, the insurance will likely increase as it trickles into the hands of younger kids and those possibly less precious about their cars (so the claims will increase, making the computer suggest it's "less safe").

I noticed the same when I moved from my MX5 to M135i - insurance dropped despite the BMW being brand new and twice the power. Insurance company explained that at the time there weren't that many M135i's on the road and loads of MX5s, so less claims and thus "statistically" cheaper. I guess the same also applied for my 6MPS as the insurance was abnormally cheap compared with similar cars at the time - not many about so not many involved in claims. (obviously this argument/observation falls flat with luxury low volume supercars, but I'm sure they're a different kettle of fish to mass produced Hyundais)

Soldato
OP
Cars certainly aren’t in groups like they used to be.
I know they are supposed to be but in reality it doesn’t seem to work that way.
Incidentally the higher specced Civic SR is cheaper to insure than a Civic SE

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Seems like a pointlessly overpowered car even if the insurance is cheaper. Absolutely no reason to buy one over a 1 litre.

Soldato
OP
Seems like a pointlessly overpowered car even if the insurance is cheaper. Absolutely no reason to buy one over a 1 litre.

It’s all about the acceleration, the push in the back - so I am told.

to be honest I would have got the Civic 1.5t but there are problems with that engine. Seeing that the majority of the use our car gets is my G/F commute in traffic you are indeed correct.
The plan was to sell the Z4 & Civic and just maintain 1 vehicle.
(Plus my essential van of course).

The Civic and my previous Octavia vRS both serve the exact same purpose.
The Civics nicer to drive, the Skoda was much faster. My cruising speed is the same in both, the Civic is far more economical on a run.
Enjoyed both cars.
(Shame I can’t have a new Civic with a 20vt)

Last edited:
Soldato
After a while you stop feeling the aceleration as much. Happens in any car.

When I first got my Elise the acceleration felt like my head was being squashed. But now it feels normal and I want more power. But where do you stop before you just can't use it all on the road :p

Just get something moderately quick which handles well for the road.

Last edited:
Soldato

When I first got my Elise the acceleration felt like my head was being squashed. But now it feels normal and I want more power. But where do you stop before you just can't use it all on the road :p
Get a car with more than 200hp:D (I say this in jest as I know they way about as much as a paper bag:p). Would love an elise, but I'd have to go evora as have kids.

Soldato
OP
To summarise, I was shocked that a new performance car like the i30n was cheaper to insure than our Civic.
I’ve been researching them and the real world performance looks outstanding.
I also like the style of the fastback, I would be happy to own one.
I have no immediate plans to rush out and change my car, considering the current economical climate.

Soldato

Just get something moderately quick which handles well for the road.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking right now. The latest hot hatches are soo bloody fast for real road driving, it's hard to really push them and get that feeling without silly speeds.
Going to keep an eye on the i20n deals when they come out. The Fiesta ST looks fun as well, but suspension sounds too harsh for UK roads.

Soldato
OP
Yeah this is what I'm thinking right now. The latest hot hatches are soo bloody fast for real road driving, it's hard to really push them and get that feeling without silly speeds.
Going to keep an eye on the i20n deals when they come out. The Fiesta ST looks fun as well, but suspension sounds too harsh for UK roads.

See this is it.
I had my eye on the i20n
I have already had a sit in the new i20 in anticipation.
It’s a similar size to a MK2 golf, low weight, 200bhp. (Plenty IMO)
Everything I was after.
Then I watched a video of it cocking it’s back wheel (my Nova SR used to do the same thing back in the day).
I dare say it’s a great fun car, but I’m almost 50 not 25.

Soldato
See this is it.
I had my eye on the i20n
I have already had a sit in the new i20 in anticipation.
It’s a similar size to a MK2 golf, low weight, 200bhp. (Plenty IMO)
Everything I was after.
Then I watched a video of it cocking it’s back wheel (my Nova SR used to do the same thing back in the day).
I dare say it’s a great fun car, but I’m almost 50 not 25.

What type of usage will you have with the i30N?

Is it going to be for fun drives or commuting too?

You might find the suspension a little hard if you’re going to daily it :)

Soldato
OP
What type of usage will you have with the i30N?

Is it going to be for fun drives or commuting too?

You might find the suspension a little hard if you’re going to daily it :)

No immediate intentions of getting one.
I was having a look after reading another thread on here, swapping a Focus ST for one.
The Civic we have rides and handles perfectly for our needs.

Back
Top Bottom