TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I feel like this thread goes around in circles - We've discussed this to death now.

Don't let them into your house - All you need is one inspector with a stick up their ****. I've heard of these guys trying to stitch people up. For example, you have BBC iPlayer installed on your TV (by default) and they'll sting you that way.
Been license free for a few years now with one visit from a nasty inspector who was refused entry then got pretty aggressive.

Will simply close the door from now on.

Caporegime
Unplug your TV areal, take the thing off the end so it can't be reconnected and just watch your TV through streaming services, you don't need a TV licence for that. BUT NOT THE BBC iPlayer. Don't even install it.

Still do not let them in.... "Hello i'm from the BBC" door in face!

#### The BBC.

Caporegime
Still amazes me that you have to prove you don't watch any BBC content if you don't pay a licence

The BBC make an accusation and you have to prove your innocents.

No where else in UK law is that a thing, but also think about the fact that if i want to watch Sky or Netflix or ANY broadcast entertainment service they have to seek a contract with me, with the BBC that contract is assumed and they can charge you unless you can prove the BBC's assumed contract with you is invalid, IE that you don't use their service, you have to prove you do not use their service, add to that the BBC can use the criminal prosecution service to punish you for defaulting on their assumed contract with you.

How is it that in the UK a ####'### entertainment broadcasting service has managed to carve out this sort of tin pot dictator fascistic privileged for its self? Its insane!

Associate
The BBC make an accusation and you have to prove your innocents.

No where else in UK law is that a thing, but also think about the fact that if i want to watch Sky or Netflix or ANY broadcast entertainment service they have to seek a contract with me, with the BBC that contract is assumed and they can charge you unless you can prove the BBC's assumed contract with you is invalid, IE that you don't use their service, you have to prove you do not use their service, add to that the BBC can use the criminal prosecution service to punish you for defaulting on their assumed contract with you.

How is it that in the UK a ####'### entertainment broadcasting service has managed to carve out this sort of tin pot dictator fascistic privileged for its self? Its insane!
Absolute bonkers! If I ever got s visit they would be introduced to the door they knocked on very quickly

Associate
I bet there is a little extra charge forced onto the cable companies from the BBC too?

I don't know of any 'extra charge', but the likes of Sky will be making money from the license fee's monetary support of rolling out the UK's broadband programme. The license fee helps pay for this, then Sky hook customers up to their service via it, and charge.

So don't cry for Comcast.

Associate
We've been license free for some ~10 years now. We've never had a single Capita sales-person show up in that entire time. There's nothing worth paying for on the BBC any more and everything else can be watched via catch-up. Not that anyone here watches that either any more :p

Between Netflix, Prime and Disney+, we have more than enough entertainment without supporting the BBC.

Caporegime
People - "The BBC are ****"

Also people:

Italy’s triumph over England in the Euro 2020 final was watched by a peak audience of 31 million viewers in the UK.

That audience high combines both those watching on BBC One (25M) and ITV (6M), and is among the highest ratings in British broadcasting history, according to BARB figures supplied by overnights.tv.

Associate
As old fashioned as a tv licence is (money doesn’t go directly to the content provider of what you are watching), I still can’t believe that for those people that want to watch say a life tennis/football game for a day or two, can’t buy a 1/2 day tv licence.

Back
Top Bottom