Anything we can do about this?

Soldato
If you know the eBay store, can you send them a message and ask them to stop using private property to take their photos? Tell them you wanted to give them the opportunity to make a choice rather than going to the police considering some of the vehicles in question aren't road worthy.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
OP
Stop being a curtain twitcher and get on with your own business?
Was expecting this reply, but not as soon as the very first post, well done. :rolleyes: As it happens I can't actually see the car park from our flat.

The issue is more than just them taking photos and ******* off, its that there has already been a load of oil or coolant spilt all over the blockwork, and a piece of a car was left in the middle of the car park the other day. Finally, when they take the pictures they do it in the entrance, which has already blocked a couple of other residents (one was a young girl who lives on her own, and she was quite intimidated by it) from getting in and out, and obviously they don't care and just carry on. I've also now learned that they are quite well known in the area and have been on the councils radar for a while.

How private is it? Signposted? If it's signposted as private road/car-park with parking rules stipulated (i.e. explicitly states: "this car park is for use of residents and visitors only" for example") then unless they're coming to visit a resident then they shouldn't be there. It'd be for the land-owner to take action against though so ultimately the end result is boxing stance.

Outside of it looking like another dodgy-repair trader, dealers listing cars that have been sold is a common tactic to get somebody on the phone to them "but sir we do have THIS one in at a great price".

Yes, there are signs saying private, residents only etc. Never been a barrier though, that's what we (the residents) are not thinking is needed.

It presumably matters to him because he's the one paying perhaps several grand in service charges a year to keep things like the carpark maintained and he probably isn't that impressed with people freeloading. So, it's not fair to say it doesn't matter.

It's a bit like somebody using your drive for photos of their car - does it matter? Of course it does. It's the same concept, in a block of flats with a service charge etc the carpark is your private drive.

At least someone gets it, thank you. :)

Have you lodged a complaint with the lease owner and/or building management?

This is ongoing.

In all seriousness I can see three issues here.

• Your concern that they are no trading legally
  • Their use of you're private car park
  • Them driving unroadworthy vehicles on the highway
I don't think you can do anything about issue number 1, selling damaged cars on ebay is perfectly legal. Relisting of sold items is indeed odd, but not illegal. I can imagine they will often sell a car only to find the seller backs out when they realise how much it will cost to transport or repair.

Issue no2, the use of the car park is probably a civil matter. In an ideal world you'd contact whoever manages the building. They'd send a cease and desist letter and the problem would stop. But in reality getting the buildings company to send the letter (even if you can find a physical address for them) will be hard work. And it will probably be ignored.

Issue no3 is probably your best angle of attack. Presumably they're having to drive these vehicles on the road. If you're persistent in reporting you may find the police will come out and might catch them in the act.

Cheers, from speaking to others, this is our general thinking too.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
OP
Doesn't really matter though does it. The accounts are only a couple of months old and no doubt they've have many before these and I'm pretty sure one of then isn't called Fred. ;)

I, and other residents have young families and don't want to escalate it to the point where they know where we live and could cause damage etc. As said, I've now learned they are well know by the authorities.

Associate
These will be the sort of scum that will make the OP's life an absolute misery if he approaches them.Sad but true.

Yes, will only end badly. These sort of stupid things soon escalate. They’ll probably move on elsewhere possibly or trading standards might catch up with them in a few years :rolleyes: You may even end up on an episode of Watchdog or Don’t Get Done, Get Dom! :D

Back
Top Bottom